Interesting thought on Bonds and Steroids - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Interesting thought on Bonds and Steroids

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Interesting thought on Bonds and Steroids

Postby tinfoilxtouch » Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:46 am

So I'll just preface this by saying I dislike Bonds. I'd love to see him caught if he did steroids, so at least there is some closure and he can't walk into Cooperstown squeaky clean. However, I got to thinking about this tonight...

Pretend you're Barry Bonds and it's a couple of years ago. You realize there is a good chance you could break Aaron's record, but the steroid issue is really heating up. For the sake of this argument, assume you did steroids, like 1/3 of baseball might have done. What would YOU do? Can people really expect ANYONE would come clean at this point? Even if you say you would out of honor for the game, think about it... it's one thing for people to assume the greatest records in the game are held by a cheater. It's another thing for people to KNOW 73 and 756 are false numbers... the damage to the game might be worse than just having people dislike you for the "maybe" factor.

I guess my point here is that I realize that depending on what happened in the 90s across the league, Bonds might not be any more guilty than 10 other guys on your favorite team. The only difference was that he got the most out of it.

This is exactly why I don't fault McGwire nearly as much. If Bonds wasn't a jerk toward everyone around him, he probably wouldn't be anymore disliked than McGwire. I think when you really consider the situation, most people dislike Bonds so much as a person, they love to latch onto the steroids as the most obvious reason to continue hating him. If someone found out Cal Ripken did steroids to help him stay healthy for the streak, I think it would almost be forgiven.

My reason for this post is fairly simple I suppose. I've been listening to four hours of people arguing on the radio each day about whether or not Bonds is proven to have taken steroids- which has almost nothing to do with why he's going to be boo'ed to death if he breaks the record on the road. Instead of making him out as being the victim that had his "innocent until proven guilty" rights taken away by the general public, I think everyone needs to accept he could have easily defused this situation without ANY mention of steroids long ago.
tinfoilxtouch
Major League Manager
Major League Manager


Posts: 1057
Joined: 24 Feb 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Interesting thought on Bonds and Steroids

Postby RocketsDWM » Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:58 am

Hank Aaron took Greenies. He wasnt clean.

But I think the reason that people dislike Bonds is due to his personality and his sense of entitlement. People look past the fact that Aaron achieved his record "illegally" because of all he went through (the death threats mainly).
Image
RocketsDWM
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar

Posts: 5243
(Past Year: 55)
Joined: 9 Jul 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Interesting thought on Bonds and Steroids

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:12 am

i think most of the hatred towards bonds is media generated. it's very much sensationalism and done just because controversies and scandals attract people. i don't think the hatred in the general public is even half as negative as the media portrays it to be. america is a very forgiving nation, and we if bonds was given the chance to explain himself without the media scrutiny and premature judgment, i think we can very well accept the fact that he might have taken some performance enhancers during a period where there was no testing and no anti-performance enhancer rules in MLB.
Last edited by BitterDodgerFan on Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Posts: 6508
Joined: 18 Jan 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: City of Grigori

Re: Interesting thought on Bonds and Steroids

Postby AcidRock23 » Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:35 am

FWIW, 'roids don't boost you up w/o also pumping some iron. Not to mention that various steroids are medically prescribed for all of the sorts of soft tissue injuries of the sort that #25 has suffered from.
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
Posts: 4170
Joined: 8 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Champaign, IL

Re: Interesting thought on Bonds and Steroids

Postby AussieDodger » Thu Jul 26, 2007 4:59 pm

I like him , I don't know what the media are on about.
The guys that swagger because they are really good and know it are the ones I like.
Steroids? If there was no rule against them and up to a third of the league was doing them , then he gets a free pass. ;-D
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
Posts: 11363
(Past Year: 25)
Joined: 22 Jan 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: What do you mean, Flash Gordon approaching?

Re: Interesting thought on Bonds and Steroids

Postby byfrcp » Thu Jul 26, 2007 5:11 pm

I'm not a fan, and this new story of him taking "The Clear" and thinking it was Flax Seed Oil is pretty funny. I don't mind that he's going to break the record, because it's going to be that much better to cheer on A-Rod to shatter his record.
byfrcp
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 2204
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 19 Jun 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Massachusetts

Re: Interesting thought on Bonds and Steroids

Postby RD » Thu Jul 26, 2007 5:42 pm

AussieDodger wrote:I like him , I don't know what the media are on about.
The guys that swagger because they are really good and know it are the ones I like.
Steroids? If there was no rule against them and up to a third of the league was doing them , then he gets a free pass. ;-D


I'm hoping you're being sarcastic about the "no rules against steroids" argument, but in case you aren't, there aren't any rules in the book regarding molesting children or murder either, so does Barry get a free pass on those?
RD
College Coach
College Coach


Posts: 168
Joined: 8 May 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Interesting thought on Bonds and Steroids

Postby CadensDad » Thu Jul 26, 2007 5:45 pm

tinfoilxtouch wrote:So I'll just preface this by saying I dislike Bonds. I'd love to see him caught if he did steroids, so at least there is some closure and he can't walk into Cooperstown squeaky clean. However, I got to thinking about this tonight...

Pretend you're Barry Bonds and it's a couple of years ago. You realize there is a good chance you could break Aaron's record, but the steroid issue is really heating up. For the sake of this argument, assume you did steroids, like 1/3 of baseball might have done. What would YOU do? Can people really expect ANYONE would come clean at this point? Even if you say you would out of honor for the game, think about it... it's one thing for people to assume the greatest records in the game are held by a cheater. It's another thing for people to KNOW 73 and 756 are false numbers... the damage to the game might be worse than just having people dislike you for the "maybe" factor.

I guess my point here is that I realize that depending on what happened in the 90s across the league, Bonds might not be any more guilty than 10 other guys on your favorite team. The only difference was that he got the most out of it.

This is exactly why I don't fault McGwire nearly as much. If Bonds wasn't a jerk toward everyone around him, he probably wouldn't be anymore disliked than McGwire. I think when you really consider the situation, most people dislike Bonds so much as a person, they love to latch onto the steroids as the most obvious reason to continue hating him. If someone found out Cal Ripken did steroids to help him stay healthy for the streak, I think it would almost be forgiven.

My reason for this post is fairly simple I suppose. I've been listening to four hours of people arguing on the radio each day about whether or not Bonds is proven to have taken steroids- which has almost nothing to do with why he's going to be boo'ed to death if he breaks the record on the road. Instead of making him out as being the victim that had his "innocent until proven guilty" rights taken away by the general public, I think everyone needs to accept he could have easily defused this situation without ANY mention of steroids long ago.


Glad to see someone else finally sees the glass half full instead of half empty. The many did nothing different tan several others did. Plus it wasn't illegal when he did it either so who cares.
Image

“Never argue with a idiot, because first they will bring you down to their level. Then beat you with experience.”
CadensDad
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 5977
(Past Year: 2)
Joined: 25 Feb 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Interesting thought on Bonds and Steroids

Postby budgerock » Thu Jul 26, 2007 5:47 pm

RD wrote:
AussieDodger wrote:I like him , I don't know what the media are on about.
The guys that swagger because they are really good and know it are the ones I like.
Steroids? If there was no rule against them and up to a third of the league was doing them , then he gets a free pass. ;-D


I'm hoping you're being sarcastic about the "no rules against steroids" argument, but in case you aren't, there aren't any rules in the book regarding molesting children or murder either, so does Barry get a free pass on those?


That's the stupidest argument I've ever heard. When did Bonds murder anyone? MLB did not test for steroids until 2003. If ANYONE did them before testing it's all speculation and hearsay. He's been found guilty in the court of public opinion, but you still need actual proof if you want to indict him or keep him out of the Hall of Fame.
budgerock
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor


Posts: 98
Joined: 9 Apr 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: N. California

Re: Interesting thought on Bonds and Steroids

Postby RD » Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:24 pm

budgerock wrote:
RD wrote:
AussieDodger wrote:I like him , I don't know what the media are on about.
The guys that swagger because they are really good and know it are the ones I like.
Steroids? If there was no rule against them and up to a third of the league was doing them , then he gets a free pass. ;-D


I'm hoping you're being sarcastic about the "no rules against steroids" argument, but in case you aren't, there aren't any rules in the book regarding molesting children or murder either, so does Barry get a free pass on those?


That's the stupidest argument I've ever heard. When did Bonds murder anyone? MLB did not test for steroids until 2003. If ANYONE did them before testing it's all speculation and hearsay. He's been found guilty in the court of public opinion, but you still need actual proof if you want to indict him or keep him out of the Hall of Fame.



Taking prescription medication (i.e. anabolic steroids) without holding said prescription is illegal in the United States, genius. Just like murder. MLBs rule book does not override federal law.
RD
College Coach
College Coach


Posts: 168
Joined: 8 May 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact