What's worse: allowing a hit or a walk? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

What's worse: allowing a hit or a walk?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

What's worse: allowing a hit or a walk?

Postby tim10966 » Thu Jul 26, 2007 4:01 am

We are debating changing our league scoring system. Currently, a pitcher is docked a full point for a walk and half a point for giving up a hit and there is some talk to make them equal, which led to a big debate on which is actually more damaging. Where do you stand?
tim10966
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: What's worse: allowing a hit or a walk?

Postby RynoDyno » Thu Jul 26, 2007 4:18 am

The reason a walk might be docked more would be to penalize the pitcher for possible lack of control. Also, it potentially hurts his pitch count since a hit would take a minimum of 1 pitch to a batter while a walk has to take 4 . This is BB, not HBP.

On the other hand, a walk only allows 1 base to the runner while a hit could be anything up to a HR, meaning the hit can cause much more damage.

I would make them equal scoring.
DaSh 1s wrote:PS how do u not want to cup the best player in baseball's sack?

ewwww
RynoDyno
College Coach
College Coach

Postby jfg » Thu Jul 26, 2007 4:18 am

It's the same thing....why don't you just use WHIP? Unless you take it a step further and do pitcher total bases (I don't know if that is even possible) it seems like you are taking categories way too far. Still ERA and WHIP tend to make up for each other, if you give up more than a single it will turn into a run more often than not. The standard categories do a really good job at making the right pitchers the top fantasy performers. The only thing it misses is guys who can eat up innings, but that can be taken advantage of too much in fantasy so it's best left off.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 169)

Postby tinfoilxtouch » Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:04 am

A few years ago I was in a really cracked out league where we used both WHIP and BB on stats, but not hits. This was BAD. For the most part, this just tends to favor groundball pitchers and not K pitchers, as even the guys with great K/BB ratios will allow more walks than guys who pitch toward contact.

All things being equal, a hit is MUCH worse than a walk. Unless you're counting total bases, your system would reward someone giving up a triple over walking a guy onto first. This isn't right...
tinfoilxtouch
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby rotoquest » Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:25 am

I put them equal as well, where the walk & the hit can be equally influenced by the 3 people involved, the pitcher, the hitter & the ump.
rotoquest
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 256)

Postby Rounders » Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:39 am

I think they're close to equal. The reason I think I would dock a little bit more for a walk is that... if a player gets a hit, that means the pitcher made him put it in play and gave his team a chance to get an out, but if he walks a hitter, he's not giving the defense behind him a chance to get the out.
But that said, a 1/2 point to 1 point deduction is a pretty big difference over the course of the year, so I'd lean towards making them equal.
Last edited by Rounders on Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rounders
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Ursa » Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:25 am

We have BB and hit equal, half point deduction. An ER is a full point deduction.
Ursa
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 24)

Postby activechamp2006 » Thu Jul 26, 2007 3:44 pm

I believe a walk is worse, it shows loss of control on the pitchers part. Pitchers should be penalized more when they walk batters, vs when they allow hits.
There are many different aspects that go into allowing a hit. Maybe the defense was out of place, infield single, so many different things.
With a walk there is only one issue, control.
activechamp2006
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Snakes Gould » Thu Jul 26, 2007 3:47 pm

im assuming this is a points there, so how could you count whip?

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 65)

Postby KrunK » Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:33 am

A hit is definitely more damaging in my opinion. A walk shows a lack of control, but as long as the bases aren't loaded you aren't giving up a run. A hit has a chance to score runs if anyone (or no one) is on base. If you think about it, a HR is usually because a pitcher misses his spot..which shows a lack of control as well.

As for your league setup, I don't know what to think of it. I would just use the standard WHIP category and dock pitchers for home runs. There are a lot of variables on why a pall put into play can turn into an (extra) base hit. I think if I were to pick one to be worth more negative points, it'd have to be a walk, since it's a lack of control on 4 pitches in an at-bat.
Credit to smoovethug on the sig
KrunK
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers