M.Teixeira to Braves, Angels or Dodgers? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

M.Teixeira to Braves, Angels or Dodgers?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: M.Teixeira to Braves, Angels or Dodgers?

Postby rentz » Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:17 pm

soty wrote:MLB.com's T.R. Sullivan says the Angels and Braves are the front-runners for Mark Teixeira, with the Dodgers and Red Sox fading from the picture.

Sullivan has been covering the Rangers for nearly 20 years, so his sources are about as good as anyone's. He says the Rangers aren't willing to part with C.J. Wilson, who is on the Braves' wishlist. Ron Mahay isn't nearly as coveted, but Atlanta still could pick him up in a Teixeira deal, with Jarrod Saltalamacchia and more going the other way. The Angels are believed to be offering Casey Kotchman and more. The Rangers might be holding out for Ervin Santana as the second player.

rumor is they've already offered kotchman, santana and an unnamed 3rd player. kotchman and santana isn't enough in my opinion. And I am REALLY hoping they deal mahay over wilson.
rentz
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BravesGuy » Fri Jul 27, 2007 2:58 pm

BP reporting that the Angels are likely out of the running for Teixeira, because they've brought Ervin Santana up from the minors to replace Bartolo Colon, who will probably miss the rest of the season. LAA is apparently done with talking to Texas and is going after Paul Konerko.

That leaves the Braves--whom they call the front runners and reiterate their 3-for-1 offer described above--and the Dodgers, who are "very much in the running" and, according to BP, could seal the deal if they offer Clayton Kershaw, James Loney and Andre Eithier for Tex and Benoit.

This deal is far from a lock for Atlanta, although if BP is correct I don't see Texas going for a 3-for-2 deal from the Dodgers--which hasn't even been offered yet--when the Braves are (reportedly) offering 3-for-1, and our prospects are as good as, if not better, than the ones LAD is offering. That leads me to believe that the reported Andrus/Harrison/Salty-for-Tex deal that has been speculated over and over again is probably NOT being offered in that way as of now. If it was, what would be stopping the Rangers?

BP also mentions the Yankees have expressed interest in Eric Gagne; perhaps this is what is holding up the deal? The Rangers want to see if they can get a good package for one of their relievers from the Yankees before offering one to the Braves in a 3-for-2 swap?
Life is like riding an elevator. It has a lot of ups and downs and someone is always pushing your buttons.

ΠKΦ
BravesGuy
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 37)

Postby skapur20 » Fri Jul 27, 2007 3:27 pm

BravesGuy wrote:
BP reporting that the Angels are likely out of the running for Teixeira, because they've brought Ervin Santana up from the minors to replace Bartolo Colon, who will probably miss the rest of the season. LAA is apparently done with talking to Texas and is going after Paul Konerko.

That leaves the Braves--whom they call the front runners and reiterate their 3-for-1 offer described above--and the Dodgers, who are "very much in the running" and, according to BP, could seal the deal if they offer Clayton Kershaw, James Loney and Andre Eithier for Tex and Benoit.

This deal is far from a lock for Atlanta, although if BP is correct I don't see Texas going for a 3-for-2 deal from the Dodgers--which hasn't even been offered yet--when the Braves are (reportedly) offering 3-for-1, and our prospects are as good as, if not better, than the ones LAD is offering. That leads me to believe that the reported Andrus/Harrison/Salty-for-Tex deal that has been speculated over and over again is probably NOT being offered in that way as of now. If it was, what would be stopping the Rangers?

BP also mentions the Yankees have expressed interest in Eric Gagne; perhaps this is what is holding up the deal? The Rangers want to see if they can get a good package for one of their relievers from the Yankees before offering one to the Braves in a 3-for-2 swap?

peronally, i think the dodgers offer IF they decide to throw in Kershaw is miles above the Braves offer. which is probally why the Rangers havent accepted this... theyre holding out for Kershaw.

Sources told FOXSports.com's Ken Rosenthal that the Braves are offering Jarrod Saltalmacchia, Matt Harrison and Elvis Andrus to the Rangers for Mark Teixeira alone.
If that's the truth, why haven't the Rangers accepted it already? We wouldn't be surprised if the Rangers were floating this to try to get other teams to improve their offers. To get one of baseball's truly elite prospects and two more top-150 guys for a year and a third of Teixeira would be a fine deal for Texas.

source - http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/7065740
ummm lets go angels? :)
skapur20
College Coach
College Coach

Postby DSheppard » Fri Jul 27, 2007 5:29 pm

rosenthal just reported he believes the dodgers have offered loney, ethier and meloan for tex + benoit.

meloan is a relief prospect who has injury concerns, but has been great. 70 strikeouts in 45 innings in AA this year. 24 hits.

i cant see the rangers turning that down. i cant imagine the kershaw was ever really on the table in this trade, loney ethier and meloan is a lot of value for.
DSheppard
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby superslugger616 » Fri Jul 27, 2007 7:13 pm

DSheppard wrote:rosenthal just reported he believes the dodgers have offered loney, ethier and meloan for tex + benoit.

meloan is a relief prospect who has injury concerns, but has been great. 70 strikeouts in 45 innings in AA this year. 24 hits.

i cant see the rangers turning that down. i cant imagine the kershaw was ever really on the table in this trade, loney ethier and meloan is a lot of value for.

I agree that Kershaw isnt on the table, but i have a different question. If Tex was dealt to the Braves, where would he bat in the order?
superslugger616
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby baseballstud » Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:37 pm

superslugger616 wrote:
DSheppard wrote:rosenthal just reported he believes the dodgers have offered loney, ethier and meloan for tex + benoit.

I agree that Kershaw isnt on the table, but i have a different question. If Tex was dealt to the Braves, where would he bat in the order?

I'd think 4th. Behind Chipper and in front of Andruw.
baseballstud
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 39)

Postby buffalobillsrul2002 » Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:40 pm

baseballstud wrote:I'd think 4th. Behind Chipper and in front of Andruw.

I agree, although I think it could go either way between Teix and Chipper as to who bats 3 and who bats 4 ( I'd put Chipper 3)
buffalobillsrul2002
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 5)

Postby BravesGuy » Sat Jul 28, 2007 1:22 pm

An executive from another team that had been trying to get Teixeira said his organization had become convinced Teixeira-to-the-Braves was done. In fact, this executive said it was his team's belief that the commissioner's office already had the trade in hand and was deciding whether to approve the deal because the Rangers were going to pay a substantial piece of Teixeira's remaining contract this year. A spokesman for the commissioner's office denied this was true.

Another sign that the Teixeira trade is near and that Texas will get Saltalamacchia is that the Rangers are talking to teams about their starting catcher, Gerald Laird. The Cubs have interest in Laird and Rangers relievers, and might include center field prospect Felix Pie to get that.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/07282007/sp ... herman.htm
Life is like riding an elevator. It has a lot of ups and downs and someone is always pushing your buttons.

ΠKΦ
BravesGuy
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 37)

Previous

Return to Injuries & Player Updates