Why does this team suck so bad? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

Why does this team suck so bad?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Why does this team suck so bad?

Postby Angry Villain » Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:31 pm

This is a 12 team Yahoo! league with 8 hitting and 8 pitching categories (R 2B HR RBI SB BB AVG OPS IP W L SV K HLD ERA WHIP) My team is currently in TENTH place out of TWELVE. I am 53.5 games behind the first place team. I know I'm not going to make the play-offs, I'm just amazed that a team like this could be doing this poorly.

C Victor Martinez
1B Albert Pujols
2B Dustin Pedroia
3B Alex Rodriguez
SS Edgar Renteria
OF Curtis Granderson
OF Carl Crawford
OF Coco Crisp
UTIL Aramis Ramirez
BN Juan Pierre
BN Ryan Zimmerman

SP Josh Beckett
SP Fausto Carmona
SP Daisuke Matsuzaka
RP Cla Meredith
RP Joe Smith
RP Heath Bell
P Kevin Gregg
P Manny Delcarmen
BN Ryan Franklin
BN Brad Penny
BN Jason Marquis
BN Oliver Perez

Aside from the lack of saves, I think this is a pretty well-rounded, solid line-up. I managed to get a ton of high round talent (I traded away Chris Young to get ARod) in the draft. But it's like I assembled a team where literally half the team has a five day slump at the same time. I'm not saying that this is the best team in my league, but does this look like a tenth place team to anyone?

This line-up is literally always hitting well, always pitching well, but it gets edged out in several different categories every week. There's like no way to fix it because there's really not a problem (aside from lack of saves). It's just... a fluke or something.
Angry Villain
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Why does this team suck so bad?

Postby schmidty » Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:14 am

All I can say is that I feel a lot better about my team with similar (but nowhere near as extreme) unluckiness: viewtopic.php?t=308825

Forget about 1st place ... how far back are you from the playoffs?
schmidty
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby jkeyb » Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:02 am

i definately can say that team doenst look like a tenth placed team but neither did mine and it was sitting around 10 and 11 in 14 team league aswell...its tough to say trust ur team at this time of year but like u said i dont think there is much else u can do...pleasant suprise im sure with pedroia he has been very good :o) one thing i would say is that ur outfiled oculd maybe do with an upgrade somewhere...maybe pay a small price for someone and then have a spoton ur roster for changing between hitters who are hot off the wire....any suggestions with mine?http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=309609
jkeyb Beginner
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby northjersey78 » Thu Jul 26, 2007 12:24 pm

Angry Villain wrote:This is a 12 team Yahoo! league with 8 hitting and 8 pitching categories (R 2B HR RBI SB BB AVG OPS IP W L SV K HLD ERA WHIP) My team is currently in TENTH place out of TWELVE. I am 53.5 games behind the first place team. I know I'm not going to make the play-offs, I'm just amazed that a team like this could be doing this poorly.

C Victor Martinez
1B Albert Pujols
2B Dustin Pedroia
3B Alex Rodriguez
SS Edgar Renteria
OF Curtis Granderson
OF Carl Crawford
OF Coco Crisp
UTIL Aramis Ramirez
BN Juan Pierre
BN Ryan Zimmerman

SP Josh Beckett
SP Fausto Carmona
SP Daisuke Matsuzaka
RP Cla Meredith
RP Joe Smith
RP Heath Bell
P Kevin Gregg
P Manny Delcarmen
BN Ryan Franklin
BN Brad Penny
BN Jason Marquis
BN Oliver Perez

Aside from the lack of saves, I think this is a pretty well-rounded, solid line-up. I managed to get a ton of high round talent (I traded away Chris Young to get ARod) in the draft. But it's like I assembled a team where literally half the team has a five day slump at the same time. I'm not saying that this is the best team in my league, but does this look like a tenth place team to anyone?

This line-up is literally always hitting well, always pitching well, but it gets edged out in several different categories every week. There's like no way to fix it because there's really not a problem (aside from lack of saves). It's just... a fluke or something.

Did you make some massive trades along the way? You managed Arod, Pujols, Crawford, VMart, Granderson, Renteria,...your offense is disgusting! Obviously your relief pitching is weak and you could probably use another solid starter but overall I find it hard to believe this team is 10th out of 12 - if that is the case, sounds like you're just getting some bad luck on any given week.

My suggestion would be to deal some offense for pitching help - go for a stud reliever - that will always help the ERA and WHIP every week - and go for another solid starter. Then cross your fingers.

Help me out - viewtopic.php?f=29&t=309840
http://www.newyorksportstown.com

Yankees, Mets, Giants, Jets, Rangers, Devils, Isanders, Knicks, Nets, Rutgers
northjersey78
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby Angry Villain » Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:54 pm

Jersey I'm in your league!! So you can attest to how bad my team's doing. You do remind me though, yes I did have a big trade for ARod, and I don't have Penny on my roster anymore.

BTW - I noticed there are 3 weeks scheduled for playoffs in our league. How many teams get to go? If it's three weeks, I would think it's more than four teams. Is it six teams with top two getting byes? Or is it like eight teams straight up?
Angry Villain
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Angry Villain » Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:56 pm

Jersey, depending on how I end up this week and how close I am to a playoff berth, some of my team might become available in a trade to some contending teams.
Angry Villain
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Alicja » Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:01 pm

Villain,

I can tell you why. You never freakin move your roster for starters. I can't count how many times during a 7-inning shutout you say "oh crap I forgot to put _______ in my lineup!"
Alicja
T-Ball Trainer

Postby Surrender2theYankees » Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:02 pm

how is that offense and decent pitching staff in 10th place? I don't get it haha you should be in the top half just based on your offensive stats. did you forget to put people in the lineup or something?
Surrender2theYankees
College Coach
College Coach

Postby schmidty » Fri Jul 27, 2007 4:33 pm

Alicja wrote:Villain,

I can tell you why. You never freakin move your roster for starters. I can't count how many times during a 7-inning shutout you say "oh crap I forgot to put _______ in my lineup!"

Aha! True insight comes from the others in the league :-D
schmidty
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby TheGentleman » Fri Jul 27, 2007 5:21 pm

Joe Smith was sent down to AAA today. You might want to drop him.
TheGentleman Beginner
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team