Linebrink to Brewers - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Linebrink to Brewers

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Linebrink to Brewers

Postby dillpickle » Thu Jul 26, 2007 12:43 pm

TBuck4401 wrote:I was a little surprised to see Inman's name in the deal when I first saw it, but I'm going with Melvin on this one. Does anyone know of any trades Melvin has made while with the Brewers where he didn't commit highway robbery? Teams are going to stop trading with the Brewers pretty soon at the rate of Melvin's success.

As a Tiger's fan, I was pretty happy getting Cappelan for a non-prospect in Cody.
dillpickle
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Scooter1027 » Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:09 pm

dillpickle wrote:
TBuck4401 wrote:I was a little surprised to see Inman's name in the deal when I first saw it, but I'm going with Melvin on this one. Does anyone know of any trades Melvin has made while with the Brewers where he didn't commit highway robbery? Teams are going to stop trading with the Brewers pretty soon at the rate of Melvin's success.

As a Tiger's fan, I was pretty happy getting Cappelan for a non-prospect in Cody.

The same Capellan who just got sent down. He has no future. Cody may not either, but I think the trade was a wash. It was made to get Jose's bad attitude out of town.

I agree with you, knapplc, I think. I like having Linebrink on staff, these are unproven prospects who may not make it, and so overall I'm happy. With Sheets out untli September 1st and a rotation full of guys who can't seem to go more than 5 innings (Vargas, Suppan) or who are on inning limits (Gallardo, Parra), a strong bullpen is going to be crucial down the stretch. Especially a guy like Linebrink who can go 70-80 bullpen innings a year. But, long term I think SD wins, and unfortunately that's the price of doing deadline business like this. Melvin always says that he much prefers trading in the off-season, and I think we're seeing why. Good relievers are going to go at a hefty price.
Scooter1027
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby dillpickle » Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:24 pm

Scooter1027 wrote:
dillpickle wrote:

The same Capellan who just got sent down. He has no future. Cody may not either, but I think the trade was a wash. It was made to get Jose's bad attitude out of town.

I agree with you, knapplc, I think. I like having Linebrink on staff, these are unproven prospects who may not make it, and so overall I'm happy. With Sheets out untli September 1st and a rotation full of guys who can't seem to go more than 5 innings (Vargas, Suppan) or who are on inning limits (Gallardo, Parra), a strong bullpen is going to be crucial down the stretch. Especially a guy like Linebrink who can go 70-80 bullpen innings a year. But, long term I think SD wins, and unfortunately that's the price of doing deadline business like this. Melvin always says that he much prefers trading in the off-season, and I think we're seeing why. Good relievers are going to go at a hefty price.

By no means is Capellan an All Star, but considering he is still only 26, seems to have a good arm, and the price for any middle reliever is HUGE (i.e. Linebrink deal), to give up just one non-prospect for him made me happy. Even if the Tigers have to send Capellan down for a year to work on some things, his arm seems good enough to contribute in middle relief at some point. Cody will be bagging groceries in a couple years.
dillpickle
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Scooter1027 » Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:42 pm

dillpickle wrote:By no means is Capellan an All Star, but considering he is still only 26, seems to have a good arm, and the price for any middle reliever is HUGE (i.e. Linebrink deal), to give up just one non-prospect for him made me happy. Even if the Tigers have to send Capellan down for a year to work on some things, his arm seems good enough to contribute in middle relief at some point. Cody will be bagging groceries in a couple years.

Three things (my opinions of course):

1. His fastball has always been overstated. We thought we were getting a true fireballer from ATL, we got a guy that hits 92, maybe 93, which leads to his next problem...

2. ...his slider doesn't do anything. He can't get it over for strikes, or if he does, it just spins and hangs. Combine a straight as a rope 92 mph fastball with a well below average secondary pitch, and it takes the luster of his arm a bit.

3. Cody may not become anything big, but he won't be bagging within a couple years. Lefties that have any success at any level (as he is having right now) get many many opportunities.
Scooter1027
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby dillpickle » Thu Jul 26, 2007 3:04 pm

Well I agree with you about the number of chances lefties get. I actually forgot that Cody was a lefty. I try to block that fact out, as I wanted so much for my son to be a lefty, but find out he is a righty.

Guess I've liked what I've seen of Capellan so far. Stuff looks good enough to contribute and at 26 with some past injury problems, he still has time to develop further. His numbers for Detroit are decent with 21 innings, 17 K's, 3.86 ERA, 1.29 WHIP. Considering the market and demand for any pitching, I really liked the deal a lot for the Tigers.
dillpickle
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Scooter1027 » Thu Jul 26, 2007 3:12 pm

dillpickle wrote:Well I agree with you about the number of chances lefties get. I actually forgot that Cody was a lefty. I try to block that fact out, as I wanted so much for my son to be a lefty, but find out he is a righty.

Guess I've liked what I've seen of Capellan so far. Stuff looks good enough to contribute and at 26 with some past injury problems, he still has time to develop further. His numbers for Detroit are decent with 21 innings, 17 K's, 3.86 ERA, 1.29 WHIP. Considering the market and demand for any pitching, I really liked the deal a lot for the Tigers.

Well, I agree with you, it certainly wasn't a bad deal by any means. Worst case it's a wash most likely as I don't project much from Cody. Best case Capellan fulfills some of his promise and salvages his career. A big reason the deal was made was his attitude and trade demands. He didn't earn a roster spot out of spring training and he pouted about it, even went MIA for a few days.

Oh, and I'm 23 and engaged to be married within the year. I've already been thinking about how I'm raising my boy to be left-handed when that time comes. After watching 50 year old hacks like Mike Stanton and his 5.50ish ERA still have jobs in the big leagues, throwing left handed is the key to financial success I think.
Scooter1027
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby dillpickle » Thu Jul 26, 2007 3:18 pm

I told my wife that I was going to tie his right hand behind his back for the first five years of his life. She didn't like that idea. Maybe you will have better luck convincing your wife when married.
dillpickle
College Coach
College Coach

Postby knapplc » Thu Jul 26, 2007 3:30 pm

Scooter1027 wrote:
dillpickle wrote:Well I agree with you about the number of chances lefties get. I actually forgot that Cody was a lefty. I try to block that fact out, as I wanted so much for my son to be a lefty, but find out he is a righty.

Well, I agree with you, it certainly wasn't a bad deal by any means. Worst case it's a wash most likely as I don't project much from Cody. Best case Capellan fulfills some of his promise and salvages his career. A big reason the deal was made was his attitude and trade demands. He didn't earn a roster spot out of spring training and he pouted about it, even went MIA for a few days.

Oh, and I'm 23 and engaged to be married within the year. I've already been thinking about how I'm raising my boy to be left-handed when that time comes. After watching 50 year old hacks like Mike Stanton and his 5.50ish ERA still have jobs in the big leagues, throwing left handed is the key to financial success I think.

I had that same thought, and I was really excited when my little girl seemed to be a lefty, but now she's a righty and I have no complaints.

Besides, at 4 1/2 she can hit a softee ball the length of our family room.

Kid's gonna be a star. ;-) ;-D
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers