Linebrink to Brewers - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Linebrink to Brewers

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Linebrink to Brewers

Postby Snakes Gould » Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:33 pm

if they were really commited to this year, why not go after a guy like gagne or chad cordero. im sure that package could have gotten one of those guys.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:40 pm

Snakes Gould wrote:if they were really commited to this year, why not go after a guy like gagne or chad cordero. im sure that package could have gotten one of those guys.

The Nationals have said they really want Chad Cordero to stay, and based on their farm system, they clearly aren't that into prospects. Gagne, I have no idea. Maybe they were worried he and Francisco Cordero both wouldn't be comfortable in the setup role?

2011 Live Free or DyNasty Champ
A Fleshner Fantasy
Wicked Wikitect
Wicked Wikitect

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 32)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby p32bars » Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:42 pm

Snakes Gould wrote:if they were really commited to this year, why not go after a guy like gagne or chad cordero. im sure that package could have gotten one of those guys.

You would think you could get one of those types for what we gave up, but then again, I'm not Doug Melvin or Kevin Towers. As for Chad Cordero, you know how Bowden works with the Nats, he would probably ask for Gallardo or Weeks for Cordero, his asking price is always too high. Although, I could have seen Milwaukee send Parra to the Nats for him. Parra has always had a talented arm, his downfall has been injuries. At this point, I think Milwaukee should have cashed in while they can while Parra is healthy and pitching well. But it eventually comes down to, would the Nats do that, I say no.

I'm really beginning to think Turnbow will be moved.
p32bars
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby AcidRock23 » Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:26 pm

A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:Wow. Shows they are really commited to this year.

Maybe they are getting nervous? heh heh heh... :-?
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby TBuck4401 » Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:30 pm

I was a little surprised to see Inman's name in the deal when I first saw it, but I'm going with Melvin on this one. Does anyone know of any trades Melvin has made while with the Brewers where he didn't commit highway robbery? Teams are going to stop trading with the Brewers pretty soon at the rate of Melvin's success.
TBuck4401
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby davidmarver » Thu Jul 26, 2007 12:53 am

TBuck4401 wrote:I was a little surprised to see Inman's name in the deal when I first saw it, but I'm going with Melvin on this one. Does anyone know of any trades Melvin has made while with the Brewers where he didn't commit highway robbery? Teams are going to stop trading with the Brewers pretty soon at the rate of Melvin's success.

Towers' track record is just as good.

The Carlos Lee deal isn't as good as people think once you factor in the fact that the Rangers got the 17th and 35th picks of the past draft due to free agent compensation. Also, the Jorge de la Rosa deal has worked in KC's favor. Also, none of the Brewers swindles compares to some that Towers has pulled off.
- Chris Young, Adrian Gonzalez, and Terrmel Sledge for Adam Eaton and Akinori Otsuka.
- Phil Nevin for Andy Sheets.

The list goes on.
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Scooter1027 » Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:42 am

davidmarver wrote:
TBuck4401 wrote:I was a little surprised to see Inman's name in the deal when I first saw it, but I'm going with Melvin on this one. Does anyone know of any trades Melvin has made while with the Brewers where he didn't commit highway robbery? Teams are going to stop trading with the Brewers pretty soon at the rate of Melvin's success.

Towers' track record is just as good.

The Carlos Lee deal isn't as good as people think once you factor in the fact that the Rangers got the 17th and 35th picks of the past draft due to free agent compensation. Also, the Jorge de la Rosa deal has worked in KC's favor. Also, none of the Brewers swindles compares to some that Towers has pulled off.
- Chris Young, Adrian Gonzalez, and Terrmel Sledge for Adam Eaton and Akinori Otsuka.
- Phil Nevin for Andy Sheets.

The list goes on.

Well, to refute a couple points:

--The compensatory picks don't come from us, so from our perspective, the deal is just as good -- a pending free agent that wasn't resigning for an all-star closer and a platoon OF OPSing .887 versus lefties this year. A good deal for us.

--I'm not sure what Jorge de la Rosa you're talking about, but the only one I know is 5.61/1.60 in KC this year. Terrible, just awful. Meanwhile Graffanino has provided valuable depth, a decent .731 OPS, and good defense while covering during Weeks injury and at 3B pre-Braun.

We could compare deals all day long (Podsednik for Lee, Sexson for Capuano, Overbay package, Wayne Frankin for Carlos Villanueva, and so on), both GMs are great. This was a deal that SD could afford because of the rest of their awesome pen, and a deal the Brew needed to make to bolster their pen. I think it's good for both teams, and could be better for SD long term. But, this city needs a playoff team, badly. Worst case I guess, we get A level compensation for Linebrink and replace the lost prospects. Best case, he helps us to the playoffs and maybe we can resign him.
Scooter1027
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby J35J » Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:34 am

This just gets me excited to see who we can get for Dotel and/or Riske, Greinke!! ;-D The price for relievers this year is pretty high and I'm loving it!
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 421)

Postby brewcrew4you » Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:43 am

J35J wrote:This just gets me excited to see who we can get for Dotel and/or Riske, Greinke!! ;-D The price for relievers this year is pretty high and I'm loving it!

I'm surprised the Brewers weren't able to get a higher profile reliever for that package - Dotel immediately came to mind. I know that Linebrink has been outstanding in the past, but his numbers (esp. K's) are down this season at a moderately alarming level.
brewcrew4you
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby knapplc » Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:53 am

brewcrew4you wrote:
J35J wrote:This just gets me excited to see who we can get for Dotel and/or Riske, Greinke!! ;-D The price for relievers this year is pretty high and I'm loving it!

I'm surprised the Brewers weren't able to get a higher profile reliever for that package - Dotel immediately came to mind. I know that Linebrink has been outstanding in the past, but his numbers (esp. K's) are down this season at a moderately alarming level.

That's where I'm at with this deal.

Linebrink is "the bird in the hand" in this deal - we know what he's done, we know what he's capable of, and even though he's not having the year people expected of him he's still a more-than-adequate arm for your bullpen. At the same time, all three prospects the Brewers gave up are unproven, not-ready-for-the-Majors talent who all three may not pan out. They all have shown potential, but I'll take proof over potential any day, especially when I'm leading my division with the playoffs creeping up.

Having said that, these three prospects have all been reasonably highly rated in their path through the minors, and Inman in particular was supposed to be destined for MLB impact in the next coupla years. I would have thought that for three such names they would have been able to get someone better than Linebrink. It's so hard since we have no idea what the back-room discussions for this player or that player were. Maybe Linebrink was the only guy available for the price the Brew Crew wanted to pay. Still, I would have to think there was someone else available for that package of prospects.

Like TBuck said earlier, I'm willing to give Melvin the benefit of the doubt. He's pulled off some pretty awesome trades in the past, so this probably will be a pretty good deal as well. That's his track record, anyway.

With a GM who makes good deals, who knows how to get the talent he needs, and with a farm system as chock full of top prospects as the Brewers' system seems to be, Milwaukee could make the Central their own little playground for the next several years, especially if St. Louis and Houston, the typical Central Powerhouses, continue their slides into mediocrity.

I'm liking what Milwaukee is doing. I think they have a really good organization up there.

I hope they become the Second Best team in the Central. Right behind my Cubs. :-D ;-D
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers