Linebrink to Brewers - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Linebrink to Brewers

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Linebrink to Brewers

Postby Another Blown Save » Wed Jul 25, 2007 6:59 pm

Looks like a solid deal for both sides.
Brewers get an middle-reliever who can give you quality innings and bullpen depth is one of the most important thing to have in the playoffs IMO. They'll probably get an draft pick after Linebrink leaves in FA so that's a plus

The Pads get 3 solid pitching prospects. I wasn't a huge fan of Inman, mostly because he doesn't have a dominating fastball, but playing in PETCO, he should have fairly good success as long as he can keep the batters off balance (eg. Chris Young)
Mat Latos - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!
Another Blown Save
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Scooter1027 » Wed Jul 25, 2007 7:03 pm

Another Blown Save wrote:Looks like a solid deal for both sides.
Brewers get an middle-reliever who can give you quality innings and bullpen depth is one of the most important thing to have in the playoffs IMO. They'll probably get an draft pick after Linebrink leaves in FA so that's a plus

The Pads get 3 solid pitching prospects. I wasn't a huge fan of Inman, mostly because he doesn't have a dominating fastball, but playing in PETCO, he should have fairly good success as long as he can keep the batters off balance (eg. Chris Young)

Good points, as well as the previous point made about compensatory picks. Either we resign Linebrink and help solidify our pen next year, or he walks and we replace the Garrison/Thatcher types with high compensatory draft picks. To me I see this as Inman for Linebrink, a deal I am content with, albeit not thrilled . But maybe I don't know what it's like to be in a playoff chase and trade our prospects away, rather than for them :-b
Scooter1027
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby RAmst23 » Wed Jul 25, 2007 7:09 pm

Without knowing too much about the prospects then what I've read here, this is a good playoff move for the Brewers. Nothing lost from the big league club and a solid gain in the bullpen. You never know with low minor league stars as anything can happen between high A and the big leagues. Brewers will have a solid starting staff (Assuming a Sheets return), above average pen and very good hitting. The only worry I'd have as a Brewers fan would be those young players feeling the pressure of the playoffs and start to slump.. never know with something like that until it happens.

I don't think its a stretch at all to say Milwaukee can be the NL rep in the World Series. October should be interesting! ;-D
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby brewcrew4you » Wed Jul 25, 2007 7:21 pm

How does a guy like Thatcher able to put up a 53/9 K/BB ratio in 38 innings in AAA go undrafted? 8-o

While it is nice to acquire a player of Linebrink's quality, I'd have liked to see Thatcher get his shot in the League, and demote (trade?) Balfour (even though he's out of options, and would need to clear waviers).
brewcrew4you
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby p32bars » Wed Jul 25, 2007 7:26 pm

Very good points from everyone. When you look at projecting minor league guys to what they will be once/if they reach the Majors, I agree with what is being said about Inman. I'm a little biased b/c I got to see him pitch in the spring and how hard he works, he's a very intelligent pitcher and when you're not pumping 92mph+, to have the numbers he posted in Low-A, High-A, and his last few starts in AA, it says something about a pitcher.

I'm also wondering why Hart has been out of the lineup, now, for the second night in a row. I'm thinking we may be showcasing Mench or someone else (maybe a Mench/Turnbow package deal to use before the deadline).
p32bars
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Scooter1027 » Wed Jul 25, 2007 7:30 pm

p32bars wrote:I'm also wondering why Hart has been out of the lineup, now, for the second night in a row. I'm thinking we may be showcasing Mench or someone else (maybe a Mench/Turnbow package deal to use before the deadline).

This is an interesting thought. I've been trying to figure out why Hardy and Hart have sat consecutive games, this is a possibility.
Scooter1027
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Snakes Gould » Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:06 pm

i dont think mench has much value and it would be pretty silly to lessen the chance of a win by playing hart just to showcase mench for a trade. mench has been around for years, its not like gm's dont know what they're getting...

i think this trade was a steal for the padres personally.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby p32bars » Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:09 pm

I know the big thing when talking about Milwaukee and their starting lineup is the fact they're nearly all from our minor league system (Braun, Hardy, Weeks, Fielder, Jenkins).

Looking deeper into our system, every one of our affiliate teams won their 1st half and are currently in 1st place in their respective leagues except for one:

AAA: Nashville Sounds 1st Place
AA: Huntsville Stars 1st Place
High A: Brevard County Manatees 1st Place
Low A: West Virginia Power 1st Place
Advanced Rookie: Helena Brewers 1st Place
Rookie Ball: AZL Brewers Last Place

We do have some very good young prospects coming up through the system, not saying they will be in the Bigs very soon, but with our minor league system being so successful, I think it allows Melvin to deal players knowing he has younger players he could reload with within 2-3 years.
p32bars
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby p32bars » Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:13 pm

Snakes Gould wrote:i dont think mench has much value and it would be pretty silly to lessen the chance of a win by playing hart just to showcase mench for a trade. mench has been around for years, its not like gm's dont know what they're getting...

i think this trade was a steal for the padres personally.

Very true, but we have all seen in the past, players who aren't everyday starters for a team who suddenly make their way into the lineup near the deadline, have that "showcase light" cast on them. Mench has really only been in the starting lineup this year when facing a left handed SP's. Again, true, GM's should know what they're getting, but when you're buying a used car, you always want to take it for a test drive. Getting Mench in there for a game or two is the GM version of a test drive. :-D
p32bars
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:26 pm

Wow. Shows they are really commited to this year.

2011 Live Free or DyNasty Champ
A Fleshner Fantasy
Wicked Wikitect
Wicked Wikitect

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 32)
Home Cafe: Football

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers