Trade Vetoed: When should a GM Override? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Trade Vetoed: When should a GM Override?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Trade Vetoed: When should a GM Override?

Postby Ed Koch » Wed Jul 25, 2007 3:21 pm

I will try to be as objective as possible.

A player has tried to trade Chipper Jones numerous times to teams. Two days ago, he left a post to let the league know that he was willing to trade Chipper:

"If anyone wants Chipper Jones, Ill pretty much give him away right now for any starter pitcher who is halfway decent."

Yesterday, a trade was approved and pending:

GM (A) traded Chipper Jones and Orlando Hernandez to GM (B) for Chad Gaudin.
GM (B) will drop Nick Swisher.

Not a fair trade, but fine. Then within hours of the trade, I receive an email sent to the league from GM (A):

"I was wondering if you could all vote against the trade that is pending between myself (GM-A) and (GM-B). I just realized that Pence just went on the DL, will be out 4-6 weeks and Id like to have Chipper as my Utility guy. Thank you hope you can all do me a favor. Thank you and good luck with the rest of the Fantasy Season."

GM -A is claiming that he didn't know the DL assignment had happened until after his offer was approved. Hunter went on the DL on the 23rd, his trade was pending during breakfast on the 24th. The league has vetoed the trade, which was a shock. Am I being mean by considering forcing this trade? It is unfair to the rest of the league to see responsibility and accountability be excused in this way . Especially since I've received emails from two GMs who disagree with the veto.
Damn you, Randy Johnson.

Standard, 5 x 5, Mixed League
Non-Keeper
Cats = 1 Point

R, HR, RBI, SB, OPS
W, SV, K, ERA, WHIP

24 Players, 1 DL slot, 6 Player Bench

C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, OF, OF, OF, Util
SP, SP, RP, RP, P, P, P
Ed Koch Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Trade Vetoed: When should a GM Override?

Postby Ed Koch » Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:41 am

I'm the Commissioner of a Yahoo Public League.

The trade veto option is up to a league vote. NEVER AGAIN.

I can't see any options where I can force trades. Just ADD/DROP options that I don't want to do, obviously.

I've since emailed Yahoo and have asked for their help.

Is anyone familiar with Yahoo leagues and this kind of decision?
Damn you, Randy Johnson.

Standard, 5 x 5, Mixed League
Non-Keeper
Cats = 1 Point

R, HR, RBI, SB, OPS
W, SV, K, ERA, WHIP

24 Players, 1 DL slot, 6 Player Bench

C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, OF, OF, OF, Util
SP, SP, RP, RP, P, P, P
Ed Koch Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

Postby StoneColdBrown » Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:28 pm

Three points.....

1) League-vote vetos are horrible. I am in total agreement, and have my own issue to deal with regarding that right now.

2) If the guy didn't know Pence was on the DL, that's his own fault.

3) The letter and ensuing vote could be considered collusion. I know I'd claim that if I were the other owner. If you knowingly and explicitly help someone in particular out, that's collusion. That alone would be enough to override the veto to me.
StoneColdBrown
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby shawngee03 » Thu Jul 26, 2007 4:22 pm

how is getting people to veto a trade you dont want to get done anymore different than getting people to not veto a trade you do want to get done. if the league accepted his offer to veto it, thats their bad. if the league settings are set up as league vote, then leave it as league vote.

and secondly...chipper and el duque for gaudin????? i would rather have both guys over gaudin
shawngee03
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby CBMGreatOne » Thu Jul 26, 2007 5:50 pm

The trade was vetoable in the first place, though it could go either way I suppose, if a lot of the teams in your league are in the "no collusion, no veto" mold.

The thing that I really don't like is the idea that the owner trading away Chipper felt like he could ask for the league to veto his own trade.

Once an owner accepts a trade, it is out of his hands. It is not his place to ask for a veto. The league should have voted based on their own opinions of the balance of the trade, not based on one owner who chickened out after he accepted it. The not knowing that Pence was on the DL excuse is a pretty lame one too.

In my league I'd have vetoed Chipper and Hernandez for Gaudin, but it never would have happened in the first place so that's neither here nor there.
CBMGreatOne
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 89)

Postby Oatsdad » Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:07 pm

Jones for Gaudin is a bad trade. Jones/Hernandez for Gaudin is so bad that it boggles the mind. He wanted a decent pitcher - so he gives up a very good SP (Hernandez) for a mediocre one? And THEN he asks to have it voided?

Screw him - he should have to live with his stupidity...
Oatsdad
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby tenken » Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:42 pm

I agree league veto is absolutely horrible. I also have this problem. Take a peek. But it's because people are vetoing a fair trade.

viewtopic.php?t=310962
tenken
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Return to Commissioner's Corner