WHAT IS WRONG with Hafner? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

WHAT IS WRONG with Hafner?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

WHAT IS WRONG with Hafner?

Postby Triplec223 » Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:12 am

After ANOTHER 0-fer-4 performance last night, Pronk is now 0-for-his-last-16 with 4 Ks and 2 BB. He's currently batting .257 which is a far cry from what everyone expected of him. I heard someone on the board mention that he changed his swing. Can anyone confirm that? If so, WHY mess with something that's not broken??

I bought low on this guy about a month ago b/c I figured he would turn it around soon. He has had some decent outings, but nothing consistent. Can anyone shed some light as to the cause of Pronk's woes?
Triplec223
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Re: WHAT IS WRONG with Hafner?

Postby cwrtlm » Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:17 am

Have no idea what is up! But it is frustrating, I almost got him traded this weekend for Vlad but he backed out at the last minute. I have offered Hafner for about every decent OFer that there is and no one will bite. I guess you just hold onto him and hope he heats up and then play him or trade him.
C- Hundley, Iannetta
1b- Wallace
2b- Barney/Barmes
3b- J. Lopez
CO- G. Sanchez
SS- Tulo
MI- Castro
OF- Bay, Hart, Pagan, Smith, Francisco, Ankiel
U- C. Ross(DL), Cantu
P- Carpent, Billings, Volquez, Marcum, Norris, J. Vazquez, Westbrook, Wolf, E Rogers
cwrtlm
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby 5 » Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:47 pm

tough life for Hafner. sit on the bench, go to the batter's box four or so times a game, sit on the bench.

he's used to having more time off due to injury, right? he usually misses a few weeks during the year...so he doesn't have to expend so much energy...he'll go on a hot streak at some point, maybe not scorching as in the past but he's gotta heat up a little.
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby sportsaddict » Wed Jul 25, 2007 1:12 pm

I don't even know... I've kind of stop worrying about him anymore. I just stick him at 1B and hope for the best. Luckily my offense is solid enough right now to make up for him sucking. Hopefully he'll get hot soon, let's cross our fingers.
"Oh, that Lankford and McGee, the trio of 'em. They're a one-man wrecking crew."

-Mike Shannon
sportsaddict
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Secret Avatar » Wed Jul 25, 2007 7:11 pm

I don't think he's fully recovered from the broken wrist at the end of last season. That kind of injury can really mess up your swing even if it's not serious enough to keep you out of the game. I avoided Hafner like the plague for that reason. See what a genius I am? :-D

I also avoided Kelvim Escobar like the plague because he burned me twice before and I thought Barrett was primed for a big year. Guess I'm not so smart after all. :-B
I am the Master. Don't question the Master. Just do what he says and be proud.
Secret Avatar
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby rotoquest » Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:37 am

I watch indians games regularly, and he is very frustrated with the defensive shift that he faces by most teams. He tried hitting to the opposite field for a while but I think that swing thought really messed him up. He's gone back to pulling most every pitch, but seems to smack them at people. I don't know if it's his wrist, but whatever he is going through, there is a definite loss of power because that right field porch is made for him, and he seems to fall just short of it for a long out instead of making it to the seats.
rotoquest
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 193)

Postby Field » Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:27 am

Secret Avatar wrote:I don't think he's fully recovered from the broken wrist at the end of last season. That kind of injury can really mess up your swing even if it's not serious enough to keep you out of the game. I avoided Hafner like the plague for that reason. See what a genius I am? :-D

I also avoided Kelvim Escobar like the plague because he burned me twice before and I thought Barrett was primed for a big year. Guess I'm not so smart after all. :-B

I believe it was just a broken bone in his hand, not a broken wrist. So we really can't attribute his struggles to the wrist injury phenomenon.

This sort of performance has come out of no where, he has been trending up considerably each of the past few seasons. He's not over the hill, so he should turn it around. It may not be until next year, when he will be a nice value pick.
Field
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby superslugger616 » Thu Jul 26, 2007 12:17 pm

I just dealt him in a deal that landed me Pujols. I've waited plenty for him to turn around and he has shown no signs of it. I think a combination of the wrist/the shift/playing more 1B has attributed to his decline in numbers. He has also moved to the 4 spot instead of the 3. I hope he turns it around next year, but I cant be hoping he turns it around heading into the crucial motnhs of the season.
superslugger616
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Doughhead » Fri Jul 27, 2007 1:32 pm

I'm astounded by his lack of production this year. I thought he was as close to a sure thing as there was. Guess I'm an idiot. I also assumed he was a guaranteed keeper--I'm rethinking that one too.
DOUGHHEAD
Doughhead
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby rocky123 » Fri Jul 27, 2007 3:50 pm

I mean to be fair he's got as many RBI as Pujols. That being said on my roster he is listed right below Willingham and it's pretty scary how similar their numbers are this year. The biggest difference I see, on my roster anyway, is that in an auction draft I paid $3 for Willingham and $34 for Pronk :-C

Active Batters AB R H HR RBI BB SB BA OBP SLG
Willingham, Josh LF FLA 356 50 93 15 63 49 4 0.2612 0.3699 0.4663
Hafner, Travis DH CLE 349 53 89 16 64 72 1 0.2550 0.3846 0.4384
Finally The Rock has come back....to New York City!!
rocky123
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers