HOF Debate: Roberto Alomar - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

HOF Debate: Roberto Alomar

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: HOF Debate: Roberto Alomar

Postby silverZ » Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:40 pm

Nobody mentions the back to back world series that he was a big part of? I think he's a HOF, but I'm biased.
Here's the pitch on the way, a swing and a belt! Left field! Way back! BLUE JAYS WIN!
silverZ
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 73)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby J35J » Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:41 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:Biggio's not a great player, just a good player for a long time.

;-D Yup.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 361)

Postby 5 » Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:44 pm

silverZ wrote:Nobody mentions the back to back world series that he was a big part of? I think he's a HOF, but I'm biased.

Yeah, Robbie belongs in the Hall...bias or no bias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby stumpak » Wed Jul 25, 2007 1:42 pm

buffalobillsrul2002 wrote:I think Alomar's in, althoguh I'm not sure he's the best 2B of his time. I'd take him over Kent, because of the glove(Alomar's 474 SB cancel out Kent's advantage in slugging).. This is why I don't think Biggio deserves to get in (even though he will). He's definitely behind Kent and Alomar. I think he's closer to the good players (like Durham, Knoblauch, and Vidro) than he is to Alomar or Kent...

Alomar
Kent

Biggio

Durham
Knoblauch
Vidro

What about his 100+ CS? His net SBs are only like 350, or like 20 a year. It is not reasonable to say that this equates to Kent's power.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

Postby schmidty » Wed Jul 25, 2007 2:39 pm

No debate in my eyes ... he should get in. The shortened career (falling apart mid-30's, and missing out on what seemed an easy 3000 hits) and spitting incident may cost him 1st ballot. But from the late 80's to early 00's he put up good-to-great seasons like clockwork. No MVPs but top 6 4 times. A 5-tool hitter, gold-glove defense at a challenging position, WS rings. I think the HOF Monitor has him ranked appropriately.
schmidty
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby hot4tx » Wed Jul 25, 2007 2:46 pm

I'm biased. I still haven't forgiven him for the spitting. I was watching that game and couldn't believe he wasn't kicked out of baseball. It was as powerful an incident as Albert Belle with the fan or Pete Rose betting on baseball.

I bet he'll get in, but I hope he has to wait a couple years. If I were voting I wouldn't vote for him for at least 2 years, maybe longer.
hot4tx
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 135)

Postby Art Vandelay » Wed Jul 25, 2007 2:58 pm

hot4tx wrote:I'm biased. I still haven't forgiven him for the spitting. I was watching that game and couldn't believe he wasn't kicked out of baseball. It was as powerful an incident as Albert Belle with the fan or Pete Rose betting on baseball.

I think spitting on someone--particularly in their face--is about as low and despicable an act as someone can do, but I don't think it really compares to Albert Belle's actions towards spectators or Rose's betting for a couple reasons. Most importantly, it doesn't affect the overall integrity of the game like having a manager gambling on games that his team is playing in. It affects the integrity of only one person. And because it involved a player and an umpire--both MLB representatives--and it happened on the field, fans have no reason to fear for their own safety because of it. I don't think that his punishment was nearly enough for it, though.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby pokerplaya » Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:03 pm

slomo007 wrote:Induct him, then spit in his face? :-b

Nice. :-b
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Postby Havok1517 » Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:08 pm

Looking at his numbers and the other 2B during his time...the Spitter gets in. He's also someone that I think could have used 'riods because he really developed some power. But you're only gulity if you get caught. So, he gets my vote.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 143)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers