draft strategies that work - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

draft strategies that work

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Mon Feb 09, 2004 10:33 pm

I don't know if this counts as mediocre: C. Lee, Cameron, Brad Wilkerson. (Fick, Marlon Byrd and a few others).

My IF was D Lee, Soriano, O Cabrera, Pujols, Varitek.

Pujols was my first draft pick a year ago. Soriano was a trade from a year ago. The rest were drafted this year.

I won pretty easily.

There's lots of ways to win.
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BGbootha » Mon Feb 09, 2004 11:22 pm

The best advice anyone ever gave me was to simply DO YOUR HOMEWORK. And this is by far the best place i have come across to do it at. I found this place (fantasybaseballcafe) last year just before the my draft. The little time i had on here i learned more and read more meaninful stuff that led me to win three of the four leagues i was in.

This is definitly the best kept secret in fantasy baseball. Anyone can spend $8 and get a magazine or two. But i was just there and one of them still listed Vlad as a free agent. Do your homework and keep it simple.

Also i have found that it really helps to atleast read if not participate in a few mock drafts before your important ones come around. You can really get a feel for where the middle value and sleepers players tend to fit in.
BGbootha
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
Home Cafe: Football

Postby drunkenmonkey » Mon Feb 09, 2004 11:56 pm

I agree about doing your homework. Rankings lists from ESPN and Yahoo and assorted magazines have been my best friend the last few years... because everyone else in my leagues use them. What I do is buy the magazine for the stat lists and do my own research. Every league I'm in has a different scoring setup, and yet we're to believe one master list can tell us who to draft? For example, in a points league, at-bats is key. You can get a guy who bats .320, but if he only gets 420 at bats versus a guy who bats .290 with 620 at bats, you do the math. In roto leagues, you want to stock up on the "average" categories to start off with. You can always trade for some HRs, SBs, or Saves, but it's hard to pull a batting average up from .270 after the first month or two. The same goes with ERA and WHIP. In head to head leagues, it's easier to boot categories. What does it matter if you don't have a guy who can steal a base if you're winning in nine other categories for the week. And most importantly, if you're in a league where daily changes are allowed, you must fill your BENCH with decent (if not high quality) starting pitchers. If you can get 8 or 9 good starts for the week compared to an opponent who has 5 good pitchers and not much else on the bench, then you're halfway to a win already. On the other hand, if they are weekly changes, it is much more important to have quality starting pitching than quantity.

These are just a few tips that have helped me in the past. Hope they will help someone else in return.
It's time to roll the dice.
drunkenmonkey
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 5)

Postby Erboes » Tue Feb 10, 2004 9:32 am

GotowarMissAgnes wrote:I don't know if this counts as mediocre: C. Lee, Cameron, Brad Wilkerson. (Fick, Marlon Byrd and a few others).

My IF was D Lee, Soriano, O Cabrera, Pujols, Varitek.

Pujols was my first draft pick a year ago. Soriano was a trade from a year ago. The rest were drafted this year.

I won pretty easily.

There's lots of ways to win.

There's lots of ways to win, I agree. With your team here, though, you got good production out of the OF and it was obviously a keeper leauge since you ahd both Pujols and Soriano. But let me explain what I mean:

Let's say you spend your early picks on the position scarce positions and you got Soriano, Tejada, Rolen, and I-Rod. According to me estimates, the average catcher in a 12 mixed league averaged $19 in value, 2B $19, 3B $21,and SS $23. With those four players you would have gotten a +$27 in value out of.

Now you take some pitchers and closers and you are left filling 1B, the 3 OF spots, and 2 utility spots with middle to late round picks. The average OF, utility player and 1B averaged $25 in production last season, so let's say you will filled them with F. Thomas, Edmonds, Ibanez, Stewart, Alou, and J. Jones. Which isn't too bad and they'd probably have gone higher than where you would have been able to pick them. Combined, that would have earned a -$23, which would have wiped out most of your gains in the position scarce positions and probably you would not have won because of it.

Of course, you could have gotten better players for those unscarce positions but I am sure most people would have been happy with them. I think the mistake people often make is that they compare an OF to a position scarce player and, of course the OF has a better bat in most cases. If you compare that same OF to other OF's though it tells a different story. For me, it's easier to get $19 of production from the 2b spot with a couple of late round picks than it is to get $25 from the OF/1B/Util. spots on average out of the mid to late round picks. Everybody likes to do things differently, but my experience I have yet to see anyone win with negative production from those spots.
Erboes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby badboy » Tue Feb 10, 2004 11:52 pm

Thank You to all who have contributed to this topic--and I wish everyone the best in their leagues this year!!!!
badboy
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

(Past Year: 3)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers