draft strategies that work - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

draft strategies that work

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby 9er Fan » Mon Feb 09, 2004 6:49 pm

My first question would be Roto or H2H? 2nd question... are there any IP limitations?

IMO, one basic rule of thumb to keep in mind is that hitting is much more consistent and predictable than starting pitching.
9er Fan
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby THE TERMINATOR » Mon Feb 09, 2004 6:59 pm

issyg67 wrote:Never heard of an auction, Terminator?

Alright, I didn't think of that. I guess that would be possable.

Of course if you had enough money left over after to fill out the rest of team would be another question.
THE TERMINATOR
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 2)

Postby Pablo975 » Mon Feb 09, 2004 7:12 pm

Gotta agree with Moc.....when my friends and coworkers come in the room while I'm surfing the Cafe, I close it out instantly.

Screw them. I want their money.

}:-)

"Ya'll are brutalizing me!" - Ronwell Dobbs
Pablo975
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby wrveres » Mon Feb 09, 2004 7:24 pm

Erboes wrote:I must also add that in all my years of playing this I've yet to see anyone win who had a medicre outfield. If you are going to start the season with an OF of Cameron, Mondesi, and Stewart you are going to lose unless you have an infield of A-Rod, Soriano, Pujols, Rolen, and Piazza, which is very doubtful of you getting. People forget that there are only so many players who'll get you above average production in the OF, and assuming you can get by with average numbers or below from there you'll almost always end up not winning, at least in my experience.

this was my OF last year. and I won my NL Only 5x5 by 5 points, and lots of cash.

O1 BAY,J PITTS x.xx
O2 GONZALEZ,L DBACK 15.50
O3 CRUZ,JJR GIANT 12.00
O4 LOFTON,K CUBS 6.00
O5 BIGGIO,C ASTRO 1.50
RSV KEARNS,A 5.00

I Guess Gonzo could be considered a star, but I disagree with the overall assesment

1st Round

ARod . SS
Soriano .. 2B
Pujols .. 1B
Helton .. 1B
Delgado .. 1B :-o

2nd Round - 3rd round - 4th round
Nomah ... SS
Boone .. 2B
Kent .. 2B
Thome .. 1B
Chavez .. 3B
Rolen .. 3B
Jeter .. SS
Renteria .. SS
Giambi .. 1B
Posada .. C
Piazza .. C

I am sure I am missing a few, but my point is. Its easy to fill that IF first. If everybody else is doing it, By all means grab the Big Bats or Arms that are obviouslly falling off the shelf and shift gears. But in my experience, no matter how much you show, or know this strategy, 7-10 guys will still start grabbing the big OF bats.

The only knock on "Filling the Infield first" is, "what if everybody does it?" .. what I'm telling ya is .. .. .. they won't!!
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 734)

Postby Erboes » Mon Feb 09, 2004 8:01 pm

wrveres wrote:
Erboes wrote:I must also add that in all my years of playing this I've yet to see anyone win who had a medicre outfield. If you are going to start the season with an OF of Cameron, Mondesi, and Stewart you are going to lose unless you have an infield of A-Rod, Soriano, Pujols, Rolen, and Piazza, which is very doubtful of you getting. People forget that there are only so many players who'll get you above average production in the OF, and assuming you can get by with average numbers or below from there you'll almost always end up not winning, at least in my experience.

this was my OF last year. and I won my NL Only 5x5 by 5 points, and lots of cash.

O1 BAY,J PITTS x.xx
O2 GONZALEZ,L DBACK 15.50
O3 CRUZ,JJR GIANT 12.00
O4 LOFTON,K CUBS 6.00
O5 BIGGIO,C ASTRO 1.50
RSV KEARNS,A 5.00

I Guess Gonzo could be considered a star, but I disagree with the overall assesment

1st Round

ARod . SS
Soriano .. 2B
Pujols .. 1B
Helton .. 1B
Delgado .. 1B :-o

2nd Round - 3rd round - 4th round
Nomah ... SS
Boone .. 2B
Kent .. 2B
Thome .. 1B
Chavez .. 3B
Rolen .. 3B
Jeter .. SS
Renteria .. SS
Giambi .. 1B
Posada .. C
Piazza .. C

I am sure I am missing a few, but my point is. Its easy to fill that IF first. If everybody else is doing it, By all means grab the Big Bats or Arms that are obviouslly falling off the shelf and shift gears. But in my experience, no matter how much you show, or know this strategy, 7-10 guys will still start grabbing the big OF bats.

The only knock on "Filling the Infield first" is, "what if everybody does it?" .. what I'm telling ya is .. .. .. they won't!!

NL and AL leagues are a different animal. The way I read these posts I thought everyone plays mixed, so I aim my posts to those who do. I play both, so it doesn't much matter to me.

The same goes when playing in a AL or NL league but to a much lesser extent. There's nothing worse than being stuck with a Brandon Phillips as your 2b in your AL league like happened to me last season. There just aren't 12 decent 2b's in each league. Still, making a point of taking them too early is as costly as waiting too long like I did with Phillips. You still need a good OF though to win like you had last season, Wrveres, but the point is well taken.
Erboes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby justinA » Mon Feb 09, 2004 8:09 pm

wrveres wrote:A) Always pay attn to BA..
B) Fill that infield first .. If ya don't get a 1B in the first round, wait till the fifth or sixth.
C) Pitching and Bullpen next. Look for K's and a good team. Leave a few roster spots open.
D) Then OF .. you are going to be amazed at how many quailty bats will be waitng for you here.
E) Lastly pitching sleepers .. Rookies or Risk/Reward type of guys. Maybe even a closer sleeper like Herges for this year. Last year, my very last pick was Todd Worrell. That sure turned out nice. ;-D

Follow that simple strategy, and I promise you, you will be competetive all season. Outfield and Pitching are always deep ;-D

Winning, well that depends upon your in-season management abilities. The draft just puts you in the game

ooops.. forgot to add..
F) Injury ...always, always, always, avoid players with an injury "History". An injury "History", IMO, is any player with "3" or more inuries, dings or blisters, anything that caused him to miss a signifcant amout of time, over the last 4 or 5 years. "3" out of "4" is my limit. I won't play with those toys anymore. They are broken. :-D

good advice, but im gunna assume you meant TIM worrell, not todd. ;-)
The Oreos!
justinA
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby wrveres » Mon Feb 09, 2004 8:14 pm

Erboes wrote: The same goes when playing in a AL or NL league but to a much lesser extent. There's nothing worse than being stuck with a Brandon Phillips as your 2b in your AL league like happened to me last season. There just aren't 12 decent 2b's in each league. Still, making a point of taking them too early is as costly as waiting too long like I did with Phillips. You still need a good OF though to win like you had last season, Wrveres, but the point is well taken.

hey and thanks for 'not' pointing out my 12.00 wasted dollars on Cruz Jr. he never did put up those "Kent-esque" like numbers because of Barry's protection.. uggghh :-D

it was Grissom .. Who knew? :-o
Rafael

wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby wrveres » Mon Feb 09, 2004 8:19 pm

justinA wrote:
wrveres wrote:A) Always pay attn to BA..
B) Fill that infield first .. If ya don't get a 1B in the first round, wait till the fifth or sixth.
C) Pitching and Bullpen next. Look for K's and a good team. Leave a few roster spots open.
D) Then OF .. you are going to be amazed at how many quailty bats will be waitng for you here.
E) Lastly pitching sleepers .. Rookies or Risk/Reward type of guys. Maybe even a closer sleeper like Herges for this year. Last year, my very last pick was Todd Worrell. That sure turned out nice. ;-D

Follow that simple strategy, and I promise you, you will be competetive all season. Outfield and Pitching are always deep ;-D

Winning, well that depends upon your in-season management abilities. The draft just puts you in the game

ooops.. forgot to add..
F) Injury ...always, always, always, avoid players with an injury "History". An injury "History", IMO, is any player with "3" or more inuries, dings or blisters, anything that caused him to miss a signifcant amout of time, over the last 4 or 5 years. "3" out of "4" is my limit. I won't play with those toys anymore. They are broken. :-D

good advice, but im gunna assume you meant TIM worrell, not todd. ;-)

Lmao ...

G) Don't draft Todd Worrell ;-D
Rafael

wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby fantasy_gamer » Mon Feb 09, 2004 8:22 pm

My auction strategy:

1) Get A-rod at any cost...
1a) Make fun of the rest of the league cuz you got him
1b) Tell everyone to give up now cuz
1c) Remind them that you won the league handily last year using the same 'Arod strategy'
1d) Bring a couple bars of soap to the auction and hand them out during the auction -- telling the other owners their teams might need it.

2) Watch everyone else overspend.....

3) Take a nap....for about 30 minutes.
4) Wake up ....and catch up on the auction. Then get your bargains. And win the league.
fantasy_gamer

Friendliness: %

Postby gagnerules » Mon Feb 09, 2004 9:18 pm

My best advice is to come up with 2-3 sleepers at each position plus an extra 3-4 at outfield and starting pitcher, guys that you wouldn't mind starting. This way you can try and avoid position runs. I dont think that there is anything worse than taking the top player in 3rd-teir of a position right after the last guy of the second teir was drafted. Last year this strategy netted me O Cabrera and J. Varitek at way under value.
gagnerules
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers