draft strategies that work - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

draft strategies that work

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

draft strategies that work

Postby badboy » Mon Feb 09, 2004 12:24 am

Ok everybody!! I want a championship this year in my league--so I want to know what tips and/or strategies have worked for you in the past--and tell me how you get ready for your draft--do you make your own cheet sheets or do you use someone elses and go from theirs?? lets do all we can to win it all this year--
badboy
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mocabeenow » Mon Feb 09, 2004 12:36 am

My strategy is to not tell my five friends about http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com until after the draft. This has been, by far, the best research i have ever gotten before a draft by just reading and posting on this cafe. That's my strategy. I hope none of them have found this place. I haven't seen their names yet.

Any of you on here in the same leagues. I wouldn't post my stragegy.

~Moc
mocabeenow
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 191)

Postby wrveres » Mon Feb 09, 2004 12:37 am

A) Always pay attn to BA..
B) Fill that infield first .. If ya don't get a 1B in the first round, wait till the fifth or sixth.
C) Pitching and Bullpen next. Look for K's and a good team. Leave a few roster spots open.
D) Then OF .. you are going to be amazed at how many quailty bats will be waitng for you here.
E) Lastly pitching sleepers .. Rookies or Risk/Reward type of guys. Maybe even a closer sleeper like Herges for this year. Last year, my very last pick was Todd Worrell. That sure turned out nice. ;-D

Follow that simple strategy, and I promise you, you will be competetive all season. Outfield and Pitching are always deep ;-D

Winning, well that depends upon your in-season management abilities. The draft just puts you in the game

ooops.. forgot to add..
F) Injury ...always, always, always, avoid players with an injury "History". An injury "History", IMO, is any player with "3" or more inuries, dings or blisters, anything that caused him to miss a signifcant amout of time, over the last 4 or 5 years. "3" out of "4" is my limit. I won't play with those toys anymore. They are broken. :-D
Last edited by wrveres on Mon Feb 09, 2004 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 734)

Postby eftda » Mon Feb 09, 2004 12:45 am

Draft all the catchers 1st then trade them for pitchers as the season moves on ;-D
eftda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby mocabeenow » Mon Feb 09, 2004 1:46 am

draft - Jon Olerud aka "Helmet Boy" as your first round pick. That will throw off everybody on what the heck your going to do next.

~Moc

*sing "Helmet Boy! Helmet Boy! Don't neglect your safety first!"
mocabeenow
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 191)

Postby Guest » Mon Feb 09, 2004 3:07 am

don't pick anyone that will get hurt over the course of the season

don't pick guys that underperform

do draft guys that are about to have their career season

it's really pretty simple

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby LBJackal » Mon Feb 09, 2004 3:34 am

mocabeenow wrote:draft - Jon Olerud aka "Helmet Boy" as your first round pick. That will throw off everybody on what the heck your going to do next.

~Moc

He has a metal plate in his head and a ball striking his head with only a hat on could kill him. Damn right don't neglect your safety, I'd be wearing a helmet if I were him too.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby KPucks » Mon Feb 09, 2004 8:15 am

LBJackal wrote:
mocabeenow wrote:draft - Jon Olerud aka "Helmet Boy" as your first round pick. That will throw off everybody on what the heck your going to do next.

~Moc

He has a metal plate in his head and a ball striking his head with only a hat on could kill him. Damn right don't neglect your safety, I'd be wearing a helmet if I were him too.

:-o Yikes
KPucks
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby kentx12 » Mon Feb 09, 2004 11:02 am

wrveres wrote:A) Always pay attn to BA..
B) Fill that infield first .. If ya don't get a 1B in the first round, wait till the fifth or sixth.
C) Pitching and Bullpen next. Look for K's and a good team. Leave a few roster spots open.
D) Then OF .. you are going to be amazed at how many quailty bats will be waitng for you here.
E) Lastly pitching sleepers .. Rookies or Risk/Reward type of guys. Maybe even a closer sleeper like Herges for this year. Last year, my very last pick was Todd Worrell. That sure turned out nice. ;-D

Follow that simple strategy, and I promise you, you will be competetive all season. Outfield and Pitching are always deep ;-D

Winning, well that depends upon your in-season management abilities. The draft just puts you in the game

ooops.. forgot to add..
F) Injury ...always, always, always, avoid players with an injury "History". An injury "History", IMO, is any player with "3" or more inuries, dings or blisters, anything that caused him to miss a signifcant amout of time, over the last 4 or 5 years. "3" out of "4" is my limit. I won't play with those toys anymore. They are broken. :-D

This looks like good advise. ;-D

There will come a day when Barry Bonds leaves baseball, and everything about the game will be the better for it.
kentx12
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Erboes » Mon Feb 09, 2004 11:31 am

The best advice I could give is to figure out what everyone else is doing and do the opposite. If you are in a league that has a bunch of position scarcity people then accept the fact that you aren't going to have all-stars at all the infield positions and fatten up elsewhere. Or if you got a bunch of power freaks then take the high SB/AVG/Run types when they slide. The only exception to this are closers. If you are stuck with mediocre closers once the season starts be prepared to pay a premium for them once it does. You can always find saves somewhere, but to find quality closers can be tricky. I think one stud closer to have is a good rule of thumb.

I must also add that in all my years of playing this I've yet to see anyone win who had a medicre outfield. If you are going to start the season with an OF of Cameron, Mondesi, and Stewart you are going to lose unless you have an infield of A-Rod, Soriano, Pujols, Rolen, and Piazza, which is very doubtful of you getting. People forget that there are only so many players who'll get you above average production in the OF, and assuming you can get by with average numbers or below from there you'll almost always end up not winning, at least in my experience.
Erboes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers