It’s worth asking: Who didn’t use steroids in the 90s? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

It’s worth asking: Who didn’t use steroids in the 90s?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: It’s worth asking: Who didn’t use steroids in the 90s?

Postby Padsin05 » Fri Jul 27, 2007 5:50 am

I think the only guy that is 100% without a doubt never did steroids is Tony Gwynn. Just look how fat he got in the 90's

I always thought Cal was a possibility but I give him the benefit of the doubt. Being able to play that many games in a row is incredible, but you know he might have been tempted as he got older and more dinged and closer to the streak

I remember Wally Joyner said he even tried something once, but didnt like it and never tried it again
Padsin05
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 12)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Krunk City King$ » Fri Jul 27, 2007 1:23 pm

Roger Clemens?
Miguel Tejada?
Brian Roberts?
Andy Pettite?
Jay Gibbons
David Segui?

:-?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/b ... oids.0706/
Krunk City King$
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby wkelly91 » Fri Jul 27, 2007 7:30 pm

Raphael Belliard

17 years- 1982/1998
2301 AB's
2 Homeruns

Biographical information

In 1988, Rafael Belliard set the record for most at-bats without a double, 286, though he managed 4 triples that year. The previous record-holder was Choo Choo Coleman with 247. Just prior to a Pirate spring training game in 1990, the diminutive Belliard, wearing a baggy uniform was mistaken by an autograph-seeking fan for a bat-boy, was asked when the players would be back out on the field.

According to Bill James's Win Shares, Belliard is the worst player to play in at least 1000 games. He only had 36 win shares, and all the other 1300+ position players who played that many games all had at least 44.

After his playing career ended, he was a minor league infield coach with the Atlanta Braves (2000-2005). He was named a coach for the Detroit Tigers for the 2006 season.
wkelly91
General Manager
General Manager

Postby tol1l1yboy » Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:24 pm

I'm almost certain that the man who almost singlehandedly brought baseball back into American living rooms, Cal Ripken JR., never touched steroids.

Um I disagree with you completely on this statement. The man who almost singlehandedly brought baseball back was actually two men and their chase for 70 home runs and they are both suspected of doing steroids.

I understand you are a Ripken fan but outside of Baltimore and the east coast he wasn't nearly as popular as other players especially guys like Sosa and McGuire during their quest for Maris' record. That year and those two players should be given royalty checks by every single free agent since and shares of every franchise for what they did for baseball. My friends and I LOVE baseball and most of us feel that Ripken's record is whatever. While I can appreciate the fact that he played in consecutive games for so long I remember games where he would have one at bat and then call it a game. And to be honest I sincerely believe that he HURT the Orioles by continuing to demand to play even though days off would have helped his productivity.

I doubt Ripken did steroids but there is no doubt in my mind that he took amphetemines. Of course I have no evidence and I really don't care but from what I have heard literally almost all players at one time took them because the season is so long and so grueling and for him to play every day you just have to think he is as likely as anyone to have done those.
tol1l1yboy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers