It’s worth asking: Who didn’t use steroids in the 90s? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

It’s worth asking: Who didn’t use steroids in the 90s?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

It’s worth asking: Who didn’t use steroids in the 90s?

Postby bigh0rt » Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:40 pm

Why did some players not use steroids in the 1990s?

This answer here, on the surface at least, seems fairly obvious: They didn’t do it because it’s wrong. It isn’t fair play. It’s cheating nature. Cheaters never prosper. It’s important to set an example for the kids. Never take the easy way. It is not if you win or lose but how you play the game. You know, the All-America stuff.

I’m not mocking here. I believe in Superman, Mister Rogers values. A sizable portion of players avoided steroids for precisely these reasons, and I wish people knew who they were because they deserve to be applauded in every ballpark across America. It took guts and principle to stay clean in a game when every advantage pointed to using performance-enhancing drugs.

KC Star | FULL STORY
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 370)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: It’s worth asking: Who didn’t use steroids in the 90s?

Postby gatorgreenwell » Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:10 am

Mike Greenwell. Career totals: 303 avg. 130hr 726rbi from 1985 through 1996. He got cheated out of the MVP in 1988 (22hr 119rbi .325avg) by that fraud Canseco (42hr 124rbi .307avg.).
gatorgreenwell
College Coach
College Coach

Postby bandrus1 » Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:19 am

will clark
bandrus1
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 5)

Postby Yoda » Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:23 am

Even I used steroids in the 90s...
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby cranfire87 » Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:26 am

Considering him and Carlos Zambrano are tied with 12 career HR each, I think it's pretty safe to say Juan Pierre has never done steroids. :-D
C- Suzuki
1B- Votto
2B- Kinsler (Uggla)
3B- Aram
SS- Tulowitzki
OF- JUpton, Pence, Hawpe
UTIL- Butler

SP- Lincecum, J Johnson, Ubaldo, Wandy, Baker, Shields
RP- Capps, Thornton, Betancourt
cranfire87
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby mak1277 » Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:33 am

I'm really confused as to why we care at this point. Look, steroids happened, and we're NEVER going to know for certain who did and didn't use them, so why spend even one more second worrying about it? It's passed....let's look forward. Enjoy baseball...I never can understand why people would spend time worrying about something they can't even hope to change.
mak1277
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby cwrtlm » Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:50 am

Who Cares, IMHO that Steriods were good for baseball from an earnings and popularity stand-point. After the strike years so many people turned their backs on baseball and the other major sports, NBA and NFL, said THANKS. The growth of the NBA and NFL over those years was astounding. But with the homers Canseco ,Sosa, McGwire, Bonds and others were putting up singlehandedly brought many people back to baseball. Pair that with the re-ascending of one of the greatest franchises in all of sports, the Yankees, many people came back to Baseball to cheer on their childhood favorite team and see the longballs that these guys were putting up. Nobody was complaining while it was going on, no investigations were going on during that time. But now as many people look back and point the finger saying that this was bad and it tainted the game, I would be willing to put money on it that these same people were there cheering on these men as the saviors of baseball. So to all of you who want to look back with shame remember that the league and many others sacrificed the "integrity" of the game to turn a profit and return baseball to the hearts of many Americans.
"It is, what it is, nothing more, nothing less" B-)
C- Hundley, Iannetta
1b- Wallace
2b- Barney/Barmes
3b- J. Lopez
CO- G. Sanchez
SS- Tulo
MI- Castro
OF- Bay, Hart, Pagan, Smith, Francisco, Ankiel
U- C. Ross(DL), Cantu
P- Carpent, Billings, Volquez, Marcum, Norris, J. Vazquez, Westbrook, Wolf, E Rogers
cwrtlm
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby mak1277 » Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:54 am

cwrtlm wrote:Who Cares, IMHO that Steriods were good for baseball from an earnings and popularity stand-point. After the strike years so many people turned their backs on baseball and the other major sports, NBA and NFL, said THANKS. The growth of the NBA and NFL over those years was astounding. But with the homers Canseco ,Sosa, McGwire, Bonds and others were putting up singlehandedly brought many people back to baseball. Pair that with the re-ascending of one of the greatest franchises in all of sports, the Yankees, many people came back to Baseball to cheer on their childhood favorite team and see the longballs that these guys were putting up. Nobody was complaining while it was going on, no investigations were going on during that time. But now as many people look back and point the finger saying that this was bad and it tainted the game, I would be willing to put money on it that these same people were there cheering on these men as the saviors of baseball. So to all of you who want to look back with shame remember that the league and many others sacrificed the "integrity" of the game to turn a profit and return baseball to the hearts of many Americans.
"It is, what it is, nothing more, nothing less" B-)

Amen to that!
mak1277
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby beatdrum » Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:11 am

cranfire87 wrote:Considering him and Carlos Zambrano are tied with 12 career HR each, I think it's pretty safe to say Juan Pierre has never done steroids. :-D

Yeah, like Alex Sanchez???

There is not a single player that I could safely say, "this guy has never done steroids". I don't understand how people are so sure Griffey and Biggio didn't use. I'm not saying that I think they did, but recently I've heard the overused statement "he did it the right way" applied to both of them.
beatdrum
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 1)

Postby buffalobillsrul2002 » Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:02 pm

mak1277 wrote:I'm really confused as to why we care at this point. Look, steroids happened, and we're NEVER going to know for certain who did and didn't use them, so why spend even one more second worrying about it? It's passed....let's look forward. Enjoy baseball...I never can understand why people would spend time worrying about something they can't even hope to change.

We can extend this quote way back, at least into the 80s and possibly back into the 70s. And before steroids, it was amphetamines, etc... and before that, it was spitballs. There will always be cheaters, and it's impossilbe and useless to figure out who did and did not cheat...
buffalobillsrul2002
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers