Assuming these reports are correct, I freakin' hate Cashman! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Assuming these reports are correct, I freakin' hate Cashman!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Assuming these reports are correct, I freakin' hate Cashman!

Postby sandman042 » Wed Jul 25, 2007 2:01 pm

the yankees dont need teixera this yr. they can get him on FA after next yr. w/ abreu and cano are starting to hit and damon showing signs of life they dont really need another big bat. also its not like the yankee firstbasman have been batting .200. cairo has been decntly productive when he plays at first and philips is batting .300 and duncan has been killing the ball and giambi is slated to return sometime in augiust. also doug miekeiwietz is slated for a return also. teixera is better and is as young as all of them but pitching does win championships and w/ the hughes/chamberlain/wang in their future the yankees look very good pitching wise. also the yankees have Ian Kennedy whos been pitching very well. thats is the right thing to do IMO to keep joba.
sandman042
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby sandman042 » Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:41 pm

u cant blame cashman flor not trading joba. 5innings 4hits 1bb 10ks! threw 88 pitches in his first AAA start.
sandman042
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby ukrneal » Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:40 am

From NY Times article about Arod hitting 499:

"Executing his plan means holding onto the top pitching prospects Phil Hughes, Joba Chamberlain, Ian Kennedy and Alan Horne, who are all off-limits in trade talks...Joba Chamberlain struck out 10 over five shutout innings in his debut for Class AAA Scranton/Wilkes-Barre on Wednesday, with senior vice president for player personnel Mark Newman looking on. The Yankees could promote Chamberlain to join the bullpen in the majors, but General Manager Brian Cashman said, "It's premature to be talking about the major leagues right now..."
ukrneal
General Manager
General Manager

Postby tinfoilxtouch » Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:17 am

If we were talking about virtually any club besides the Yankees, I'd do the deal in a second, but...

The Yankees don't exactly have a lack of hitting right now. They NEVER have a problem with signing sluggers to insane deals during hotstove season. Assuming they'd want Teix in a long-term deal, that's going to be a TON of money they could save to justify signing Arod, the only guy on their team looking younger than his age. Until that issue gets resolved, spending truckloads more money on hitting seems silly. Plus, even if he doesn't profile as an ace, does it matter at this point? The Yankees are basically going to need to rebuild 4/5 of their rotation in the next 1-2 years, assuming Hughes pans out. With the imbalance of their hitting and pitching, a solid 4th starter would almost be worth gold to them right now. If anything, they should be selling guys like Abreu for the first B+ AAA prospect they could land. Not starting Igawa next season would be awesome.
tinfoilxtouch
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby mkultra » Thu Jul 26, 2007 12:15 pm

In my perfect world, the Yanks would figure out some way to get rid of Giambi's contract- I believe they, as a team, are actually paying more per year to him than to Arod (when you factor in deferments and whatnot). With that kind of money, they could hold on to both Arod and sign Tex in the offseason.

As a Yanks fan, I'm dreading Giambi's return to the lineup. Phillips has been decent at 1B, an area the Yanks have (except Giambi) not filled with a slugger's bat in years. In July, he's been getting on base, which is just fine when you've got 4-5 other guys in your lineup who will hit 20+HR. Keep Damon at DH, and Melky in CF. Melky Cabrera is the one player, IMO, they need to keep playing where he is- he works hard, he's a team player, everyone loves him, and he's lit a fire under the asses of his buddies Cano and Abreu. To do that, though, you have to squeeze out either Damon or Giambi, and I'd rather keep Damon.
mkultra
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 41)

Postby tinfoilxtouch » Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:53 pm

Really? You dread Giambi and his .800-.900 OPS coming back, but you don't want them to touch Melky's .723?
tinfoilxtouch
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby mkultra » Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:13 am

It's not about Giambi's stats, it's about how the team has played with him in the lineup vs. how they've played with Melky in the lineup. If you watch Yanks games, they talk about this all the time- he's a player who brings up the quality of the people around him.
mkultra
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 41)

Postby tmacdaman1 » Sat Jul 28, 2007 12:26 am

Where has Joba not profiled as an ace? You will find a lot of prospects who find Joba's ceiling to be higher than Hughes'.

Hughes and Joba absolutely have to be untouchables. I don't agree with Kennedy or Horne being untouchables, but that's a different story.
tmacdaman1
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 1)

Postby tmacdaman1 » Sat Jul 28, 2007 12:39 am

Zito is God wrote:
jbauer2485 wrote:I don't think it's a no-brainer type deal, it's extremely difficult to get ace pitching, which Joba is looking like he may be. I'd have a hard time saying no though, Tex is a beast.

I have never seen a scouting report stating he has ace stuff. I read he is likely in the #3 seat. Look at this formula in terms of +/- of runs scored vs. given up:

Andy Phillips and Joba Chamberlin vs. Mark Teixeria and Mark Redman.

I am using redman as he is the first mediocre pitcher that we can get cheap off the FA that I could think of. I believe the runs of the second pair will be in the Yankees favor. Also remmember the gold glove Tex has which is bound to save a good amount of runs as well over a full season.

I don't know where you are getting your info about Joba from. He would've been a top 10 pick without any injury concerns, he throws heat. He sits 96-98 in games, throwing as hard as 99 or 100 at times. His fastball has reached 98 mph as late as the 7th inning of games. But forget that for a minute, because he throws one of the most devastating sliders you will ever see in the mid-high 80s. Guys swing hopelessly at it in the dirt, or are frozen when he paints the corner with it. And that isn't even counting his good change and developing curve.

As I said, a lot of scouts find him more intriguing than Hughes. Joba just needs to work on CONSISTENTLY commanding his secondary pitches, which is something that Hughes had figured out at the ripe age of 19/20 (which is why Hughes is such a rare prospect). You can teach command over time because of mechanics, but you can't teach a 100 mph fastball or the slider that Joba throws. That is why some scouts like him more. Both project as potential aces, whoever told you that Joba's ceiling is a #3 couldn't have been more wrong, unless they were still in the year 2005.
tmacdaman1
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 1)

Postby dryice » Sat Jul 28, 2007 9:16 am

yea, bad deal to trade top prospects, plus plan is to bring Chamberlain up and plop him in pen, boosting their chances more effectively, anyway, since pen is their weakness - not hitting.

But here's a brainstorm... instead of paying moolo bucks for guys who DID something, and having to present the Bossman with an 200 mil aluminum-plated piss-pot...start giving blank checks to guy who WILL DO something...

maybe a free agent Tex
dryice
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers