Assuming these reports are correct, I freakin' hate Cashman! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Assuming these reports are correct, I freakin' hate Cashman!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Assuming these reports are correct, I freakin' hate Cashman!

Postby cordscords » Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:34 pm

Actually I think this is a good move by Cashman.

Value wise I think it's a good trade, but I dont think the Yankees need another bat. Let Chamberlin develop and the Yankees will have a nice 1-2-3 combo of Wang, Hughes, and Chamberlin in the near future.
cordscords
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 23)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby dillpickle » Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:42 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the Yankees four titles in five years was a result of some home grown talent (Bernie Williams, Jeter, etc). How has trading away minor league talent for aging veterans from other teams helped win championships? They haven't won one since.
dillpickle
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Gang Green » Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:57 pm

At 27 you couldn't call Tex an aging veteran the Yanks would be receiving in return. That being said, the Yanks need middle relief help more than anything else. They'll get enough hitting to offset the shaky starting pitching. Perhaps Humberto Sanchez and Chamberlain can come up and supply some much needed help in the bullpen. That would be more valuable than acquiring Tex.
I could be wrong in what I'm saying but I'll be dead before I realize it.
Gang Green
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby raygunpunx » Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:02 am

Gang Green wrote:At 27 you couldn't call Tex an aging veteran the Yanks would be receiving in return. That being said, the Yanks need middle relief help more than anything else. They'll get enough hitting to offset the shaky starting pitching. Perhaps Humberto Sanchez and Chamberlain can come up and supply some much needed help in the bullpen. That would be more valuable than acquiring Tex.

Sanchez is out for the year after having TJ surgery.

The question I have is why is what is Chris Britton doing sitting in triple a. Why won't Cash call him up?
raygunpunx
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby thedude » Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:24 am

Smart move, considering the Yankees don't look like they can win the world series this year and Tiex won't improve their chances of winning much, if any. The Yankees would be better off holding onto joba and trying to trade for Santana in the off season. Joba fits into the most sought after commodity in baseball young pitching.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby buffalobillsrul2002 » Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:33 am

It'll be really interesting to see what the next trend is in baseball. THis year, it's clear that the trend of teams is to hold onto their minor leaguers, and for the trading teams to be asking for a ton in return for mediocre players. This is most likely due to the compensatory picks being handed out now in exchange for free agnest. I wonder if in a few years teams will keepd oing this or if there will be another shift in the way trading is done....
buffalobillsrul2002
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby fbc_fan » Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:08 am

bigwords wrote:Second, though undoubtably, Teixeira is a great player, has anybody made a big deal out of the fact that his career home OPS is .957 compared to a career road OPS of .850?

agreed, its a large divide, over a good number of PAs. then again, tex has proportionally had almost 2x as many abs against RHP than LHP and has produced a relatively similar SLG. i'd assume that he'd take full advantage of yankee stadium's lefty bias, which would negate some of his OPS loss on the road. plus over roughly 2600 abs (roughly 2900 PAs, he actually walks more on the road) its only a 15 HR/6 3b/6 2b difference in home vs road XBH. the real difference is the 52 base hits he's collected at home that is impacting his splits.
thanks to madison/go_jays_go for the slick sig!
fbc_fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby ukrneal » Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:21 am

cordscords wrote:Actually I think this is a good move by Cashman.

Value wise I think it's a good trade, but I dont think the Yankees need another bat. Let Chamberlin develop and the Yankees will have a nice 1-2-3 combo of Wang, Hughes, and Chamberlin in the near future.

That's my thinking too. They already have Arod, Jeter, Damon, MAtsui, and Abreu. Why they need another hitter is beyond me. SHoot, they could lose 1-2 of these guys and still be in pretty good shape offensively.
ukrneal
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Zito is God » Wed Jul 25, 2007 1:33 pm

You didn't just name Damon as a good hitter did you? You're about 3 years late. The Yankees hitters are getting very old, Tex is turning 28 next year, has the gold glove they have needed at 1st, and will likely produce more runs than Chamberlin will save vs. a mediocre pitcher unless he is the ace some of you think he is.

Sean Tracey has my apologies, we all know Ozzie Guillen is an idiot. I'm rooting for you!
Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby raygunpunx » Wed Jul 25, 2007 1:45 pm

Zito is God wrote:You didn't just name Damon as a good hitter did you? You're about 3 years late. The Yankees hitters are getting very old, Tex is turning 28 next year, has the gold glove they have needed at 1st, and will likely produce more runs than Chamberlin will save vs. a mediocre pitcher unless he is the ace some of you think he is.

3 years too late?? Damon had 1 of his best seasons with the Yanks last year. I don't know why you keep on calling Joba a mediocre pitcher? Scouts said right now he could be a number 3 in the majors. Tex can be had after next year for just money
raygunpunx
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers