Assuming these reports are correct, I freakin' hate Cashman! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Assuming these reports are correct, I freakin' hate Cashman!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Assuming these reports are correct, I freakin' hate Cashman!

Postby Zito is God » Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:23 pm

There is a report on Yahoo stating that the Rangers are interested in Chamberlin for Big tex and Cashman called Chamberlin untouchable. Are you kidding?! Assuming we can work out a deal with Tex long term this is a steal. I remember when they asked for Hughes, which I would readily deny, but Chamberlin never profiled as an ace, this is absurd not to take the deal.

Advantages of Tex on the Yankees:

- Will seel tickets over Andy Phillips.
- Will outhit Phillips in ALL categories.
- Will give us the gold glove 1st baseman we haven't had for some time.

I simply do not understand not making this deal.

Sean Tracey has my apologies, we all know Ozzie Guillen is an idiot. I'm rooting for you!
Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Assuming these reports are correct, I freakin' hate Cashman!

Postby dclark0699 » Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:30 pm

Dumb? Yes.

But i do give him credit, at least he realizes his pitching staff has blown like a hotwired ceiling fan...and it is THAT and not a lack of offense that causes the Yankees to lose.
dclark0699
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby jbauer2485 » Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:30 pm

I don't think it's a no-brainer type deal, it's extremely difficult to get ace pitching, which Joba is looking like he may be. I'd have a hard time saying no though, Tex is a beast.
jbauer2485
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby Zito is God » Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:33 pm

dclark0699 wrote:Dumb? Yes.

But i do give him credit, at least he realizes his pitching staff has blown like a hotwired ceiling fan...and it is THAT and not a lack of offense that causes the Yankees to lose.

Its been everything this year, when the pitching is there the hitting isn't and vice-versa. I will be the first to agree that the pitching staff is old and on the decline (Pettite likely won't hold much longer and Mussina is already mediocre) but the fact of the matter is there is a HUGE line between Hughes and Chamberlin. A pitcher like Chamberlin never profiled as an ace, I feel as though I'd rather take Tex and then sign a pitcher to be my #4 off of FA. The pitching is the first question mark, but Chamberlin isn't the answer, and tex can bring in much more runs than Chamberlin can save vs. a mediocre pitcher IMO.

Sean Tracey has my apologies, we all know Ozzie Guillen is an idiot. I'm rooting for you!
Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Zito is God » Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:38 pm

jbauer2485 wrote:I don't think it's a no-brainer type deal, it's extremely difficult to get ace pitching, which Joba is looking like he may be. I'd have a hard time saying no though, Tex is a beast.

I have never seen a scouting report stating he has ace stuff. I read he is likely in the #3 seat. Look at this formula in terms of +/- of runs scored vs. given up:

Andy Phillips and Joba Chamberlin vs. Mark Teixeria and Mark Redman.

I am using redman as he is the first mediocre pitcher that we can get cheap off the FA that I could think of. I believe the runs of the second pair will be in the Yankees favor. Also remmember the gold glove Tex has which is bound to save a good amount of runs as well over a full season.

Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:43 pm

This really isn't that bad a decision on Cashman's part. The Yankees need pitching. Fact.

2011 Live Free or DyNasty Champ
A Fleshner Fantasy
Wicked Wikitect
Wicked Wikitect

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 33)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby bigwords » Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:50 pm

I totally disagree. Joba Chamberlain is one of the fastest rising regarded prospects in the minor leagues and I predict he'll be just as highly touted as Hughes next year. Second, though undoubtably, Teixeira is a great player, has anybody made a big deal out of the fact that his career home OPS is .957 compared to a career road OPS of .850? If the trade guaranteed the Yankees a world series this year, sure it would be a good deal, but don't you think the team's middle relief is a much bigger problem these days, a problem likely to be amplified if they make the playoffs? If Chamberlain can be their Papelbon this season (a more reasonable comparison than you might think), would it make sense to trade him for Teixeira? Especially if Giambi happens to make it back?

Just food for thought.
bigwords
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby jbauer2485 » Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:53 pm

Zito is God wrote:
jbauer2485 wrote:I don't think it's a no-brainer type deal, it's extremely difficult to get ace pitching, which Joba is looking like he may be. I'd have a hard time saying no though, Tex is a beast.

I have never seen a scouting report stating he has ace stuff. I read he is likely in the #3 seat. Look at this formula in terms of +/- of runs scored vs. given up:

Andy Phillips and Joba Chamberlin vs. Mark Teixeria and Mark Redman.

I am using redman as he is the first mediocre pitcher that we can get cheap off the FA that I could think of. I believe the runs of the second pair will be in the Yankees favor. Also remmember the gold glove Tex has which is bound to save a good amount of runs as well over a full season.

I don't have any articles off hand, but everything I've read this year is that Joba has really improved a lot. Anyone have any info?
jbauer2485
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby dclark0699 » Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:00 pm

He uses great arm action and a fluid drive towards the plate to hit 98, and sits with a plus control fastball at 93-95 on the gun. He likes to mix in an average to above-average changeup of 80-83 and has found success with the pitch at lower levels. His changeup will have to learn more fade to survive against top-tier hitters.

Chamberlain’s out pitch is his 10-to-4 plus slider that stays low and tempts hitters. Some reports from Hawaiian Winter Baseball have noted that the slider was declining into a loose slurve. He also throws an average curve that does more to change pace than change plain. He excels with the command of his pitches spotting them where he needs.

Full article: http://www.projectprospect.com/profile- ... amberlain/
dclark0699
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby raygunpunx » Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:20 pm

I think this is the best news I heard all day. Pitching wins world series and it is much easier to sign a free agent hitter then a top stud pitcher. Plus Tex is a free agent after next year. Yes Chamberlain projected to be a number 3 when he was drafted because of weight concerns and injury concerns. A scout was quoted a couple of weeks ago saying he could be pitching in the majors right now and be a number 3 starter. Right now he is looked at as a number 2 starter. Furthermore Hughes wasn't looked at as an ace when they drafted him either.
raygunpunx
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers