Gone from Last to 6th in 2 weeks, looking for some advice - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

Gone from Last to 6th in 2 weeks, looking for some advice

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Gone from Last to 6th in 2 weeks, looking for some advice

Postby 3rice » Tue Jul 24, 2007 3:45 pm

Im in a 10 teams H2H 5x6 League. for 5 months I was in last place thanks to my slow start/underachieving draft. I started my season w/ players like Atkins/Zimmerman/Delgado (not meeting projected potential), Tejada (hr's are down now on dl), Mauer(dl for a good month n a half), Damon (often injured), Josh Johnson (dl then awfull showing) , Kazmir (no wins), and Brett Meyers (removed from rotation no on dl).

Now after making some personel moves and some of the slumpers starting to surge, my team is showing some life and moved to the 6th spot in 2 weeks. Pick ups like Braun, Lidge, Granderson, and Kenny Rogers have made the difference. While trading for Pence, Dye, and Dempster have been nothing more then coups.

Now im ready to put the nail in the coffin and get in the top 4 so i can make playoffs and have a chance to get the $500 pot. Roster:

C - Joe Mauer - Min [ Solid ]
1b- Carlos Delgado - NyM [ Has been better but OBP is killing me and hr's are far and few ]
2b- Placido Polanco - Det [Solid ]
3b- Ryan Braun - Mil [ How long is this gonna last ? ]
SS- Brendan Harris - Tbay [ steady backup till Tejada is back ]
Of- Alfonso Soriano - Chi C [ Solid ]
Of- Jermaine Dye - Chi W [ I traded Cuddeyer for him, gettin hot...should i think about a trade here? ]
Of- Curtis Granderson - Det [ Solid / Leadoff hitter ]
Utility - Billy Butler - KC [ New to the team, on a tear right now...first base eligibility? ]

Bench:
Miguel Tejada - Bal (dl) [ back soon, but will he get me my hrs ]
Hunter Pence - Hou (dl) [ 4-6 weeks out, thinking about dropping him ]
Ryan Zimmerman - Phil [goes to utility from time to time, good back up to braun ]
Kaz Matsui - Col [has been in a slump, but was hot about a month ago ]
Chris Duncan - St Louis [new, cleanup for the cards, had a huge 2nd half last year , repeat? ]

Starters:
Jered Weaver - LAa [ gettin hot ]
Scott Kazmir -Tb [ getting hotter ]
Mike Mussina - NyY [ hot n cold, good lineup to play behind tho ]
Kenny Rogers - Det [ one bad start so far, plays for the tigers ]
Andrew MIller - Det [ dont know much about him ]

CL:
Joe Nathan - Min (Rp) [ solid ]
Manny Corpas - Col (Rp [solid but will he keep the job? ]
Brad Lidge - Hou (P) [ making a comeback but might be traded ? ]

Bench:
Pedro Martinez - NyM (dl) [ been waiting all season for this, 1 more month ]
Brett Myers - Phil (Rp) (dl) [ possible trade bait, but will solidify my closers situation ]

Available waiver picks up that interest me : Weeks (getting lead off spot again?) , Patterson (gets steals and seems to be on a tear but hes sooo streaky) , Garret Anderson (pretty consistent as of late) , Garko (seems like a better choice then Duncan/Delgado at times)

Pitchers: Capuano ( 2 good starts now for the brew), Dave Bush (see Capuano), Randy Wolf (on dl but alot of K's when healthy), Kason Gabbard ( somthing about this guy & hes on the sox), Nate Robertson ( Tigers pitcher and seems to be playing better). Others include Sean Marshal, Dustin McGowan, Wainwright, Arroyo.

What im thinking is dropping Duncan for Garko, and dropping Pence for either Patterson or G. Anderson. for some reason i need steals. Also im intruiged on trying to pick up D. Willis while hes a buy low canidate right now. My bait would be Kaz and Brett Meyers. My other option would be to go after Mark Buehrle since he just came off a bad start. Have no idea what would be a good trade move for him tho.

so any and all help or suggestions are appreciated...and i would def respond to any of yours...thanks
3rice
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Gone from Last to 6th in 2 weeks, looking for some advice

Postby summergames » Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:57 am

I'd also trade Mauer. I never feel that he's solid. He always has injuries and plays in streaks. Maybe you can get something for him that you would need
summergames
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Re: Gone from Last to 6th in 2 weeks, looking for some advice

Postby pdman » Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:18 pm

I'm surprised you don't have more pitchers with a bench that deep. It seems like you would get killed in Wins and K's by guys who are carrying 8 starting pitchers. What's the extra pitching stat?

Duncan is useful as a spot starter since he doesn't start against left handers. I like Garko, though. He has lots of walks over the last month, and has been hitting well besides (I'm a sucker for walks). I've actually been debating the same add / drop in my league. I'm sticking with Duncan for a little while longer. Probably until someone else picks up Garko.

As for pitchers, I'd pick up Capuano or Bush. Yahoo's Andy Behrens wrote a column on planning for the playoffs where he pointed out that the Brewers face Pittsburgh and San Diego (two of the worst offenses in baseball) in weeks 24 and 25, which are the championship weeks for yahoo fantasy. Don't know how it works on other systems. Detroit and Nate Robertson will face the White Sox in weeks 23 and 25. The Dodgers and Randy Wolf face either San Diego or San Francisco in all three playoff weeks. That might be something to think about when picking pitchers off waivers.
pdman
T-Ball Trainer

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team