Any New Myers News? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Any New Myers News?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Any New Myers News?

Postby BJSFAN123 » Sat Jul 28, 2007 1:51 pm

So, is he gonna be the closer for the rest of the season? What about Gordon?
BJSFAN123
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Sat Jul 28, 2007 1:54 pm

like someone already said, i think it all hinges who the phillies bring in during the offseason. if they acquire a closer, myers should go back into the rotation.
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby wildbill » Sat Jul 28, 2007 2:01 pm

schmidty wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Phillies management determine what Myers role will be, not Myers?
When you have a player of Myers calibur do you really want to piss them off by making them do something they don't want to do? Leiber isn't that calibur a player and look what he did in that situtation, he purposely tanked his performance in the bullpen to get back into the rotation. I think the Phillies will let Myers decide what he wants to do, I mean they did this year. While he was on the DL he kept saying he wanted to come back as a reliever and so despite have only 2 reliable SP the Phillies put him on track to come back as a RP. This was before Kendrick emerged as a decent option and no Eaton is not a reliable SP, his contract was just as bad as the Zito contract, just on a much smaller scale.

schmidty wrote:I remember him being vehemently opposed to the move to the bullpen earlier this year, though he did it, eventually seemed to get into it (and pitched well), and ended up getting hurt.
Then you remember incorrectly because he actually volunteered to do it. He went to Cholie and told him he would go to the bullpen if that's what Cholie wanted. What he was opposed to was being shifted back and forth between the rotation and the bullpen like a merry-go-round. At that time he wanted to either stay in the rotation or stay in the bullpen. He was never opposed to going to the bullpen. As for getting hurt, that happened because Cholie doesn't know the first thing about handling a pitching staff and overused Myers. While in the bulllpen Myers pitched in half the games the phillies played. Considering Myers was not used to that routine it's no wonder he got hurt. I blame that fully on Cholie being an idiot when it comes to handling pitchers.

schmidty wrote:At this point, I can't blame him for just wanting to know what his role will be and have it stay consistent.
Who's blaming him for that? I'm not. I didn't even bring it up.

schmidty wrote:Next year, who knows?
Um, that's the question that was asked. I answered it and gave my opinion. Why do you seem to have a problem with me giving an opinion? I don't care if you agree with it or not but why did your response take then tone that you have a problem with me giving it. Am I not allowed to give an opinion?
wildbill
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby wildbill » Sat Jul 28, 2007 2:09 pm

BJSFAN123 wrote:So, is he gonna be the closer for the rest of the season?
That depends on whether Myers stays healthy, which depends on whether Cholie works him like he's capable of pitching in 80 to 90 games a season like he did before. If he stays healthy the yes Myers is the closer the rest of the season and I wouldn't be surprised if he starts closing immediatly.

BJSFAN123 wrote:What about Gordon?
Gordon can't pitch on consecutive days, unless maybe they run out of pitchers, due to his injured shoulder so he won't be closing again unless it's a situation where he's to only closing option available at the time.
wildbill
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby schmidty » Sat Jul 28, 2007 3:44 pm

wildbill wrote:
schmidty wrote:At this point, I can't blame him for just wanting to know what his role will be and have it stay consistent.
Who's blaming him for that? I'm not. I didn't even bring it up.

schmidty wrote:Next year, who knows?
Um, that's the question that was asked. I answered it and gave my opinion. Why do you seem to have a problem with me giving an opinion? I don't care if you agree with it or not but why did your response take then tone that you have a problem with me giving it. Am I not allowed to give an opinion?

Certainly you're allowed to give your opinion, just as I'm allowed to comment on it. Sorry if the tone came off as "snippy" ... I think your "ME ME ME" line and wife-beater joke just rubbed me the wrong way. It really came across like you had a personal bias/hatred against Myers, coloring more objective analysis.
schmidty
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby wildbill » Sat Jul 28, 2007 5:25 pm

schmidty wrote:I think your "ME ME ME" line and wife-beater joke just rubbed me the wrong way. It really came across like you had a personal bias/hatred against Myers, coloring more objective analysis.
Well I think he really has acted like a "ME ME ME" player since going to the bullpen and someone needs to sit him down and tell him he can best help the team next year as a SP. It looks like the crop of closers and other RP is going to be far better then the crop of SP this offseason. Maybe it's just the frustrated Phillies fan in me, but that's how I see him right now.
wildbill
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby schmidty » Sat Jul 28, 2007 5:41 pm

wildbill wrote:
schmidty wrote:I think your "ME ME ME" line and wife-beater joke just rubbed me the wrong way. It really came across like you had a personal bias/hatred against Myers, coloring more objective analysis.
Well I think he really has acted like a "ME ME ME" player since going to the bullpen and someone needs to sit him down and tell him he can best help the team next year as a SP. It looks like the crop of closers and other RP is going to be far better then the crop of SP this offseason. Maybe it's just the frustrated Phillies fan in me, but that's how I see him right now.

I take it you're in the Philly area now? As you might be able to guess, I'm a Phils fan too, but transplanted out of the area long ago. So I don't have to hear these guys in interviews all the time ... if I had to, maybe I'd be dishing out some hate too :-] I'm with you completely that it seems Myers would most help the team in the rotation, and not the bullpen. Maybe if they had a stacked rotation, or a commitment to upgrading through free agency ... but it just doesn't seem like those two things are happening. While it seems too late for anything to change this year (and since they already did the change in the first place, I don't think they should go back mid-season), I'm hoping the situation gets reevaluated before next year.
schmidty
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Previous

Return to Injuries & Player Updates