Where will you draft Ryan Braun next year? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Where will you draft Ryan Braun next year?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Where will you draft Ryan Braun next year?

Postby Yoda » Fri Jul 27, 2007 3:07 pm

When a very top prospect like Braun performs beyond expectations and lives up to the hype from the get go, then it is very difficult for me to disregard his production as a fluke.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BJSFAN123 » Fri Jul 27, 2007 3:12 pm

I don't think you can compare his hot start to Hardy's, JJ was always a pretty good prospect but not a top one like Braun. JJ admitted he is not a power hitter and his homeruns in the beginning were a fluke because he was getting bad pitches, Braun on the other hand is a power hitter and I don't think this is a fluke at all. Plus, he has some good speed. I don't expect Braun to keep his average at .350 or whatever it is, but everything else is legit
BJSFAN123
General Manager
General Manager

Postby tgalv » Fri Jul 27, 2007 6:10 pm

i don't think you guys who wanna have braun's baby get it. most people realize he might be a beast, but he has no track record. if you pass on braun you can end up with someone like aramis or even wright or cabrera with some of the manlove that is being proffesed - or someone else later who's decent. 3b is pretty deep. if you end up hitting with braun in the 2nd round or 3rd round, what?.. you get maybe 1st or 2nd round quality... if he hits a sophomore slump you get screwed. like JwhateverJ said earlier, you can't win the draft in the first few rounds, but you can really screw yourself. if you come in last in your league every year anyways then maybe it is worth the risk.
tgalv
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby superslugger616 » Fri Jul 27, 2007 6:54 pm

Its not worth it to take a big risk on Braun in the 2nd or 3rd round before other top provent 3Bs (Wright, Ramirez). 4th round is where he should be going IMO.
superslugger616
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby angelo285 » Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:07 pm

I think he'll go somewhere in the late 2nd / early 3rd rounds. I would certainly have to consider snagging him in the 2nd round if I had one of the later picks.

Given his current pace, even if his production declines some next season he's still putting up somewhere around 30/100 (Wright/Aram/Cabrera numbers).

Now, just think if he DOES keep up this sort of pace (or something close to it)....those would be Arod/Pujols numbers....
angelo285
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Legia13 » Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:56 pm

tgalv wrote:i don't think you guys who wanna have braun's baby get it. most people realize he might be a beast, but he has no track record. if you pass on braun you can end up with someone like aramis or even wright or cabrera with some of the manlove that is being proffesed - or someone else later who's decent. 3b is pretty deep. if you end up hitting with braun in the 2nd round or 3rd round, what?.. you get maybe 1st or 2nd round quality... if he hits a sophomore slump you get screwed. like JwhateverJ said earlier, you can't win the draft in the first few rounds, but you can really screw yourself. if you come in last in your league every year anyways then maybe it is worth the risk.

How exaclty can you end up with Wright or Miggy if you pass on Braun? I understand Aramis, but I'd rather take a risk at the end of the 3rd round and pick Braun over Aram as I think he'll have better numbers.
Legia13
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:12 pm

Those of you interested in Braun as a keeper might find this of interest

http://www.minorleagueball.com/story/20 ... 65453/6543
"I don't want to play golf. When I hit a ball, I want someone else to chase it."
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Postby Legia13 » Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:20 pm

Good link, that was pretty interesting. I think he'll finish with better numbers for both this season and next season than the ones posted.
Legia13
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Padsin05 » Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:36 pm

Take him wherever you want too, baseball is such a long season, 1 pick isnt gonna make or break your team.

Hes a great hitter, I would take him at the end of the first round, hell you just never know last year JBay was a 2nd round pick and now he sucks.

3B ranks I see him no 3 behind ARod and MCabrera. I like his upside over Aramis, and about the same as Wright. Wright has the name and team recognition though. Braun might sneak into the 3rd round for some of you.
Padsin05
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 13)

Postby Athrun340 » Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:08 pm

Im not gonna go after him .. but if he falls into my lap then maybe

I dont want garret atkins on my team or the 07 first half ryan howard
^^Ty Smoovethug^^
Athrun340
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers