Where will you draft Ryan Braun next year? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Where will you draft Ryan Braun next year?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Where will you draft Ryan Braun next year?

Postby jdsun1 » Thu Jul 26, 2007 4:39 pm

J35J wrote:
BJSFAN123 wrote:
Legia13 wrote:If the time is right and he falls into my lap I'll take him. Definitely not before Arod,Miggy,Wright.

yea, I'd say he is the 4th best 3b for fantasy out there.

I'd still take Aramis.....He may well be 5th though.

I would stil say Aram is 4th and I would rather have him then braun, however If I knew where and when I could get braun then I would holdout on 3B. Position scarcity is the best way to play it I think. Just ask those who took Utley in the first and held out for Prince Fielder in the later rounds. :-)
jdsun1
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Rounders » Thu Jul 26, 2007 4:44 pm

Scooter1027 wrote:
J35J wrote:I'd still take Aramis.....He may well be 5th though.

I think that's fair...A-Rod, Miggy, Wright, Aramis, Braun, in that order. Does that make Braun a 3rd rounder? Depends on league size. I play in a 14er and 18er, obviously leading to guys being taken a little earlier (round-wise). That may lead to some of the discrepencies in opinions here.

I've thought of A-Ram as a 3rd rounder, and I'd take Braun if he dropped to me in the 4th round (assuming he doesn't tank at the end of the year). But I still like the idea of getting established hitters with my first few picks (or pitcher if it's Johan).
Rounders
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby BillyHallDisciple » Thu Jul 26, 2007 5:22 pm

Some projections from Rotoworld to put Braun's performance into further perspective -

Braun is up to 17 homers in 216 at-bats. At his current rate of production in a 580 at-bat season, he'd hit .352 with 46 homers, 124 runs scored, 121 RBI and 24 steals. It'd rank right up there with some of Alex Rodriguez's best fantasy seasons.
BillyHallDisciple
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Yoda » Thu Jul 26, 2007 5:31 pm

BillyHallDisciple wrote:Some projections from Rotoworld to put Braun's performance into further perspective -

Braun is up to 17 homers in 216 at-bats. At his current rate of production in a 580 at-bat season, he'd hit .352 with 46 homers, 124 runs scored, 121 RBI and 24 steals. It'd rank right up there with some of Alex Rodriguez's best fantasy seasons.

That would be sick. It's always fun to extrapolate small sample sizes. :-)
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby jswede » Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:03 pm

Yoda wrote:
BillyHallDisciple wrote:Some projections from Rotoworld to put Braun's performance into further perspective -

Remember he's been doing this since March:

Spring Training> .353avg / 34ab / 7runs / 5hr / 15rbi / 2sb / .912slg
Minor League> .342avg / 117ab / 28runs / 10hr / 22rbi / 4sb / .701slg
Major League> .352avg / 216ab / 46runs / 17hr / 45rbi / 9sb / .676slg

Still a small sample, but all the more impressive - how about that average? Then you factor in that protected line-up... he might sneak in late 2nd round if it were my pick.. (but it won't be - I traded him in my keeper for Oliver Perez after Braun had played about 20 games. damn.)
jswede
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Fantasy Man 27 » Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:11 pm

jswede wrote:
Yoda wrote:

Remember he's been doing this since March:

Spring Training> .353avg / 34ab / 7runs / 5hr / 15rbi / 2sb / .912slg
Minor League> .342avg / 117ab / 28runs / 10hr / 22rbi / 4sb / .701slg
Major League> .352avg / 216ab / 46runs / 17hr / 45rbi / 9sb / .676slg

Still a small sample, but all the more impressive - how about that average? Then you factor in that protected line-up... he might sneak in late 2nd round if it were my pick.. (but it won't be - I traded him in my keeper for Oliver Perez after Braun had played about 20 games. damn.)

Funny how his average drops 10 points going from the minor leagues to the majors. You guys can have Braun in the late second to third round, he isn't the first player to have hot streak for 200 ABs. Hell, he isn't the first guy on his team (JJ Hardy anyone?)
Fantasy Man 27
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Legia13 » Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:53 pm

JJ Hardy doesn't have the track record that Braun does. Sure he's a top prospect, but he never mashed in the minor leagues as did Braun. I think if Braun finishes the season with 30+ HR's I'd be willing to draft him over Aramis next year. Even though Aramis might be the safer pick as the 4th 3B, I think Braun has a much higher ceiling in terms of his stats for next year. Fantasy sports are about taking risks, and I think drafting Braun is a risk that could bring tremendous results.
Legia13
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Scooter1027 » Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:47 pm

Fantasy Man 27 wrote:Funny how his average drops 10 points going from the minor leagues to the majors. You guys can have Braun in the late second to third round, he isn't the first player to have hot streak for 200 ABs. Hell, he isn't the first guy on his team (JJ Hardy anyone?)

I just don't get how you can assume that everyone off to a hot start is due to flop. JJ Hardy had no where near the track record that Braun had. He was an okay minor league hitter who was defensively ready from the day he was drafted. No one ever projected a home run binge like he had earlier this year. And we're not talking just any 200 ABs (like Hardy's were in his 3rd season), we're talking his first 200 ABs against major league pitching. You're supposed to struggle (witness Alex Gordon) when you first get up. Guys typically only get better from there as time goes on (witness Prince Fielder, Bill Hall, heck most any young player). I'm not suggesting Braun can post a whole lot better than this (although some OBP in front of him would really help the RBIs), but his college, minor league, and limited major league track record suggest this isn't just some 200 AB hot streak. I don't expect him to hit .340-.350 over the course of a whole season, but I think a season of .300/30/110 with 20 SB is reasonable and would make him a top 5 3B at the least. In the bigger leagues I play in, that's a 3rd rounder.
Scooter1027
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Absolutely Adequate » Fri Jul 27, 2007 2:33 pm

I'm not going to draft him next year. He's going to be a high-risk guy, given how high he'll go. And I need more a track record before spending that sort of pick on a guy.
Absolutely Adequate
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby BillyHallDisciple » Fri Jul 27, 2007 3:02 pm

Wish I played in a league against Absolutely Adequate...
BillyHallDisciple
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers