Where will you draft Ryan Braun next year? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Where will you draft Ryan Braun next year?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Where will you draft Ryan Braun next year?

Postby os_gamejunkie » Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:05 am

Yeah, I know it's early...but it's never to early . Being overseas I haven't seen alot of him until late, but what I've seen so far has been extremely impressive. Worthy 2nd rounder next season with 35 HRs in sight?
os_gamejunkie
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Where will you draft Ryan Braun next year?

Postby abrunn11 » Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:29 am

Right now I would say somewhere around where Ryan Howard went last year (late 2nd to early third) In my league settings he is BY FAR the #1 overall guy in value/at bat this season. I have a hard time thinking a guy with such a small sample size could sneak into the top 20. Think of guys like HanRam this year and Reyes and Howard last year.
abrunn11
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Rounders » Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:53 am

If he stays on a decent pace, I see him as an early 4th rounder. I have a very young offense this year (phillips, upton, adrian g, pence, kendrick, a gordon, c young), but they were all guys that I got after round 8 or off free agency. I generally don't use top picks on guys that have only put up good numbers for less than a season.
Rounders
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby sstobe » Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:58 am

Rounders wrote:If he stays on a decent pace, I see him as an early 4th rounder. I have a very young offense this year (phillips, upton, adrian g, pence, kendrick, a gordon, c young), but they were all guys that I got after round 8 or off free agency. I generally don't use top picks on guys that have only put up good numbers for less than a season.

If he stays at a decent pace there is no way you will get him in the 4th round. His numbers are already comparable to the top 3B not named Arod, and he has fewer at bats. I guarantee there is someone in every league that will jump on him by at least the 3rd round if not the 2nd. That is if he keeps up at a decent pace.
sstobe
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 34)

Postby dillpickle » Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:05 am

I personally reference Mr. Braun as Mini-Pujols. I had Pujols his rookie year and I now have Braun. I don't see much of a difference. Pujols kind of came out of nowhere, had a great camp, and LaRussa kept him in the big show. You see the results. Braun, probably a higher ranked prospect coming out of the minors then Pujols, has a great camp; however, the Brewers sent him down. He gets the call and hits the hell out of the ball. I know some players put together good stretches and such, but I just don't see how this guy can't be legit with this many at bats hitting at this high of a rate. No, he's not as good as Pujols, but the guy is a legit talent. I'm on the Braun bandwagon at this point. Players just don't accidently go 2-4, HR, 2 RBI's most every night for 50 games to start their MLB career.
dillpickle
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Rounders » Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:25 am

sstobe wrote:
Rounders wrote:If he stays on a decent pace, I see him as an early 4th rounder. I have a very young offense this year (phillips, upton, adrian g, pence, kendrick, a gordon, c young), but they were all guys that I got after round 8 or off free agency. I generally don't use top picks on guys that have only put up good numbers for less than a season.

If he stays at a decent pace there is no way you will get him in the 4th round. His numbers are already comparable to the top 3B not named Arod, and he has fewer at bats. I guarantee there is someone in every league that will jump on him by at least the 3rd round if not the 2nd. That is if he keeps up at a decent pace.

And that's fine with me if I don't get him. I'd rather go with a Rollins/Holliday that have over 1 yr experience (guys I got with last pick of the 2nd and 1st pick of the 3rd). With my first few picks I want a guy that's been doing it for at least a couple years. I take young guys in the mid to late rounds, because at that point you're getting a good value because their ceiling is high. I don't want to take a guy at the end of the second round that has a ceiling of an early 2nd rounder if he's only been doing it less than a year. This could come back to bite me at times (see Hanley Ramirez), but usually I make out better with the experienced guy.
Rounders
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby BANDINI » Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:40 am

Braun should be drafted first overall, of course! Afterall, he IS Master of the Universe...
BANDINI
College Coach
College Coach

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:47 am

somewhere between pujols and howard.

he's basically a pujols that steals.
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby J35J » Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:42 am

Braun is going to be the best example of "you can't win you're league in the first 3 rounds but you can certainly help in loseing you're league in the first 3 rounds." In other words he is NOT a safe/solid pick in the first 3 rounds. Give me the proven consistant performers in the top 3 rounds and I'll do a little more gambling later in the draft. Brauns a solid player and could be an elite player but to draft him in the 2nd round is playing with fire, IMO!!

I'll likely not own him in any league next year....
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 429)

Postby cordscords » Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:51 am

J35J wrote:Braun is going to be the best example of "you can't win you're league in the first 3 rounds but you can certainly help in loseing you're league in the first 3 rounds." In other words he is NOT a safe/solid pick in the first 3 rounds. Give me the proven consistant performers in the top 3 rounds and I'll do a little more gambling later in the draft. Brauns a solid player and could be an elite player but to draft him in the 2nd round is playing with fire, IMO!!

I'll likely not own him in any league next year....

Agreed. IMO Braun will be a star, but to say you will use a pick on him in the first 5 rounds after 1 season, actually 4 months, is not a smart move.

I always want to see a player do it twice before I spend a high pick on him. Which is why I'm avoiding him like the plague next season.
cordscords
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 20)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers