Worst Sports Team Nickname

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Worst Sports Team Nickname

Postby Mookie4ever » Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:20 pm

Worst sports nickname has got to be Fantasy Football Cafe :-B
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 280)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Coppermine » Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:30 pm

Pacman wrote:
The Artful Dodger wrote: It's not like the Washington Wizards of the world have to change their team name to something corny just because their old team name (Bullets) was associated with another city before them (Baltimore Bullets)

Didn't they change from Bullets to Wizards because Bullets wasn't politically-correct???

Yeah, but mostly because players on the Bullets were using them to shoot at people in nightclubs. Or, moreso, because D.C. at the time had the highest homicide rate. Wizards was such a dumb alternative. Favorite player: Gandalf.

A lot of people have been finding the weird minor league team names and declaring them dumb or stupid, or "the worst" but, you know, a lot of minor league teams are in unusual places in and of themselves and I think it's the more clever ones that come up with a name that somehow picks up on some of the local charm. For instance, I live in Harrisburg, home of the Nationals' double-A affiliate, the Senators. Ok, aside from playing in the Pennsylvania state capital, I think that Senators is a dumb (and boring) name for a minor league baseball team. If you were from Harrisburg, a name that may be more clever would be the Strawberries, the Pretzels or perhaps the Nuclear Fallout.... ok, maybe not.

Anyway, team names I hate the most are non-plural adjectives or verbs. The Heat... the Wild... the Galaxy? I've always known soccer teams to be dumb, non-plural random words, but I hope it doesn't keep up.

The team name is "D.C. United?" WTF?

The best team names are weird, minor league names too... the Albuquerque Isotopes for one (named as such from an episode of "The Simpson" when the team owners wanted to move the Springfield Isotopes to Albuquerque) or, another one of my favorites, the Montgomery Biscuits. I think that's a great name for a minor league team in Montgomery, Alabama. They were originally the Orlando Twins before becoming the Orlando Rays. Boooring. Biscuits aren't just a great name for a deep south baseball team, but their logo is classic:

You can't beat that with a stick of butter and a bowl of grits.
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby AussieDodger » Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:38 pm

Brooklyn Trolley Dodgers is pretty bad.
Also: (from http://www.kypris.com/Baseball/bb-franchiseInfo.html )
BOSTON BEANEATERS (II)
Leagues: PL 1890, AA 1891
Aka: Boston Reds 1891
Franchise: Charter franchise, transferred to AA in 1891, disolved after season.
Ballpark: Congress Street Grounds

ATLANTA, GEORGIA
ATLANTA BLACK CRACKERS
League: NAL 1938
Franchise:

CINCINNATI CLOWNS
League: NAL 1942-1945
Aka: Cincinnati Buckeyes 1942, Indianapolis-Cincinnati Clowns 1944
Franchise: New franchise. Became Indianapolis Clowns in 1946.

KALAMAZOO, MICHIGAN
KALAMAZOO LASSIES
League: AAGPBL 1951-1954
Franchise: Relocated from Muskegon Lassies 1950.

WASHINGTON RUBY LEGS
League: NL 1880-1882
Franchise: New franchise, disbanded after 1882 season
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 24)

Postby roninmedia » Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:37 pm

The Artful Dodger wrote:
roninmedia wrote:Stanford Cardinal, not Cardinals, but Cardinal. And their mascot is a tree. %-6

The name refers to the hue of red, cardinal...not the bird.

Overall, I still think naming your mascot after just a color (Orangemen, Mean Green, Green Wave, Crimson Tide, Maroons) or a word that can't be pluralized is just not appealing to me (I'm agreeing with Coppermine? :-{ ). I'm not sure what cheers they have but the traditional, "Go Insert Team Name" just doesn't go right with Cardinal.
roninmedia
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby The Artful Dodger » Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:10 pm

Coppermine wrote:Anyway, team names I hate the most are non-plural adjectives or verbs. The Heat... the Wild... the Galaxy? I've always known soccer teams to be dumb, non-plural random words, but I hope it doesn't keep up.

The team name is "D.C. United?" WTF?

Oi, watch it. :-b

Soccer teams abroad usually don't go by their nicknames. For example, Manchester United's nickname is the Red Devils. You'll never see a graphic or hear a commentator mention Manchester United Red Devils because that's not the title of the club; it's simply Manchester United. Furthermore, teams are just normally referenced by the city name only and are only differentiated by the area of that given town (hence, you don't hear a soccer team named London F.C.) or by some suffix of some sort (i.e. Manchester United, Manchester City).

D.C. United is named as such by a traditional English club designation, but then again, it's funny to see MLS adopt this. For example, Salt Lake City's team is called Real Salt Lake in the vein of Real Madrid when there's hardly anything Spanish tied to the city. Or Houston Dynamo (obviously an adaptation of Dynamo Kiev in Ukraine).

Coppermine wrote:The best team names are weird, minor league names too... the Albuquerque Isotopes for one (named as such from an episode of "The Simpson" when the team owners wanted to move the Springfield Isotopes to Albuquerque) or, another one of my favorites, the Montgomery Biscuits. I think that's a great name for a minor league team in Montgomery, Alabama. They were originally the Orlando Twins before becoming the Orlando Rays. Boooring. Biscuits aren't just a great name for a deep south baseball team, but their logo is classic:

You can't beat that with a stick of butter and a bowl of grits.

Indeed, that's a jolly good logo. Can't stop either grinning or laughing at it...although it looks like a retro-modern logo with a Cookie Monster ripoff character that's meant to resemble a clam that's made out of biscuit dough, fitting for a southern fried chicken restaurant chain. So good make ya wanna slap yo momma!
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 677)

Postby Coppermine » Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:28 pm

Yo' slap yo' momma' and she gon' slap yo' back!
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby PlayingWithFire » Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:46 pm

Not a big fan of the PSV part of PSV Eindhoven

Also, what kind of name is the Toronto Maple Leafs? %-6 Hey, let's go...a Leaf?

My favorite Minor league mascot, along with the Biscuits, has to be the Las Vegas 51s

Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby The Artful Dodger » Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:56 pm

PlayingWithFire wrote:Not a big fan of the PSV part of PSV Eindhoven

Why? Just because it has Philips in the name? At least it's not as blatantly corporate sounding as the New York Red Bulls.

PlayingWithFire wrote:My favorite Minor league mascot, along with the Biscuits, has to be the Las Vegas 51s

I think they should've had the alien logo fly like the flying baseball on the Dodger logo.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 677)

Postby PlayingWithFire » Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:06 am

The Artful Dodger wrote:
PlayingWithFire wrote:Not a big fan of the PSV part of PSV Eindhoven

Why? Just because it has Philips in the name? At least it's not as blatantly corporate sounding as the New York Red Bulls.

Don't give a damn about the MLS the same way I don't give a damn about the Chinese Baseball League :-b
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby 5 » Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:33 am

Pacman wrote:
The Artful Dodger wrote: It's not like the Washington Wizards of the world have to change their team name to something corny just because their old team name (Bullets) was associated with another city before them (Baltimore Bullets)

Didn't they change from Bullets to Wizards because Bullets wasn't politically-correct???

I immediately thought of the Wizards...dumb name and dumb to have to change it due to PC crap.

There's a bunch here....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._college_team_nicknames

Webster Gorloks....Gorloks? apparently it is a mythical creature that was designed by Webster staff and students.

Arkansas Tech Wonder Boys?
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk