Recent Stompings - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Tampa Bay Rays

Recent Stompings

Moderators: hayseed, Baseball Moderators

Recent Stompings

Postby jlm53089 » Mon Jul 23, 2007 4:25 pm

Friday gave a gilmer of hope.
Then the rest of the weekend was extremely hard to watch for a Ray fan.
But my question is what do we do?
As an orginization.
Ride it out? or try to trade for some help before the deadline?
jlm53089
General Manager
General Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Recent Stompings

Postby raiders_umpire » Mon Jul 23, 2007 4:51 pm

jlm53089 wrote:Friday gave a gilmer of hope.
Then the rest of the weekend was extremely hard to watch for a Ray fan.
But my question is what do we do?
As an orginization.
Ride it out? or try to trade for some help before the deadline?

We just played the Yankees at the wrong time. But no trades can be done in the next 8 days to fix our pitching staff. Fixing that staff will have to come through the minors, which it is coming, and smart free agent acquisitions. The only problem I see is that we have fallen quite a bit the last 6 weeks, so we will have to overpay to get some free agents, where as had we stayed in that 75-80 win mark, we could have had a legitimate chance at some pitchers this offseason.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby scr » Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:29 pm

Rumor this weekend was the Yanks were interested in Wiggington, and were theoretically willing to part with Scott Proctor. I think that would be a steal to land Proctor, but I don't think the Yanks are that dumb. Don't get me wrong, I think Wiggington is OK, but Proctor is a stud MR.

As for this past weekend, we just don't have a complete team. What good is scoring 8 to 10 runs a game when the bullpen gives it back plus 10 more? With CC hurt, Jamie and Aki were bound to come back to earth, and Rocco's absence in the lineup is really starting to show. Recipe for bigtime losses.

We are not going anywhere this year, but with Evan hopefully coming up in September along with Niemann, we'll get a good glimpse of another couple of young studs to add to the lineup. Don't forget if all goes well, Price may be up the second half of '08.

We've got good young arms on the farm that we could package for some real relief, and like raiders said, maybe a free agent signing or two could make "wait 'till next year" really mean something.
scr
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby raiders_umpire » Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:09 pm

Proctor has 2 years left before he could go bananas on us and claim free agency, so I think that would be a good deal. I still would love to see something work out with Minnesota or Arizona though. They both have some pretty good minor depth that I think we could use for Wigginton.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby deerayfan072 » Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:15 pm

I think Proctor is overrated and we can get more for wiggy. Proctor is bound to break down after all the innings he has worked.
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 36)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby deerayfan072 » Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:34 pm

Rays pro scout was at the Twins games last night. Looking more and more like Ty is headed there
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby raiders_umpire » Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:20 am

deerayfan072 wrote:Rays pro scout was at the Twins games last night. Looking more and more like Ty is headed there

I wouldn't read too much into that. I would imagine we had scouts of some sort at almost every ball game in the majors last night.
raiders_umpire

Postby deerayfan072 » Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:00 am

raiders_umpire wrote:
deerayfan072 wrote:Rays pro scout was at the Twins games last night. Looking more and more like Ty is headed there

I wouldn't read too much into that. I would imagine we had scouts of some sort at almost every ball game in the majors last night.

From what i have heard they do not want to trade within the AL East so the Proctor deal most likely wont get done and they really want to work with the Twins
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby raiders_umpire » Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:44 am

deerayfan072 wrote:
From what i have heard they do not want to trade within the AL East so the Proctor deal most likely wont get done and they really want to work with the Twins

That makes sense. Most teams don't like to trade within their own division just to keep that player from haunting them for 19 games that season. But there are definitely more teams besides just the Twins that should have a need for a player like Wigginton. The Mets, Dodgers, Brewers, and Seattle could all use another solid infield stick for the playoff push.
raiders_umpire

Return to Tampa Bay Rays