Postby shoelessjoetara » Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:01 am

Any word when he will be activated?
shoelessjoetara Beginner
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Brian Fuentes

Postby sportsguy138 » Mon Jul 23, 2007 2:15 am

The last thing I've heard about him is this, per Rotoworld.

Brian Fuentes won't be activated Thursday as planned because of tightness in his strained rib-cage muscle.
Fuentes was able to throw a scoreless inning in the minors Tuesday, but he didn't bounce back as well as hoped. He isn't expected to be activated until early next week at least.

Should be interesting to see how easily Fuentes will get his job back.
sportsguy138
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 404)

Postby x_Momentum » Mon Jul 23, 2007 2:18 am

I say it takes Fuentes two relief non-save appearances before he gets his closer role back. I also heard talk about how some teams are interested in Manny Corpas? Any goods on that?
x_Momentum
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby sliders51 » Mon Jul 23, 2007 2:22 am

sportsguy138 wrote:The last thing I've heard about him is this, per Rotoworld.

Brian Fuentes won't be activated Thursday as planned because of tightness in his strained rib-cage muscle.
Fuentes was able to throw a scoreless inning in the minors Tuesday, but he didn't bounce back as well as hoped. He isn't expected to be activated until early next week at least.

Should be interesting to see how easily Fuentes will get his job back.

I dont think he will get his job back THAT easy. Corpas has been doing a solid job. In his last 11 outings: 10 2/3 innings, 4 hits, 2 BBs, 13 Ks, 1 ER, 4 Saves, and 1 Win.
sliders51
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby sportsguy138 » Mon Jul 23, 2007 2:55 am

x_Momentum wrote:I say it takes Fuentes two relief non-save appearances before he gets his closer role back. I also heard talk about how some teams are interested in Manny Corpas? Any goods on that?

All I've personally heard is that, if anything, Fuentes would get moved. He's a free agent after this year and if the Rockies make him available, I would suppose lots of teams would be interested in going after him. Of course, for fantasy owners this then brings up the question if he'll get the closer job where he goes, or if he'll be given the set-up man job.
sportsguy138
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 404)

Postby avsfan4ever33 » Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:22 am

Here's an article from the Rockies official site:

http://colorado.rockies.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070722&content_id=2102203&vkey=news_col&fext=.jsp&c_id=col

It's kind of odd how tight lipped everyone in the organization is being about it.

As for Fuentes and the closer's role, I still think it's his job but he should have to prove it with some solid outings before retaining the job. Corpas has done very well in the role so far so it will be hard to move him from that role.

As for teams being interested in Corpas, that's great for them, but in reality, the Rockies would be crazy to trade him. In all liklihood, he will be the Rockies closer next season, as I think Fuentes will either be traded or become too expensive for the Rockies to keep.
avsfan4ever33
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby abc11435 » Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:57 am

FYI:

Michael Phillips, of Rockies.MLB.com, reports the Colorado Rockies are interested in acquiring Texas Rangers RP Akinori Otsuka.

Wonder if they are looking to acquire Otsuka for closer job.
abc11435
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 23)

Postby x_Momentum » Mon Jul 23, 2007 2:44 pm

I think Otsuka will have the same kind of role he did in Texas this year, mainly as a set-up guy but also a reliable go-to guy in the 9th inning if the closer seems overworked.
x_Momentum
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby x_Momentum » Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:23 pm

So, Fuentes apparently isn't going to return at least for the next 3 days. Is it time to drop him? I mean, i already have 3 closers and Ben Sheets on my DL slot and I'm kind of in need of SP with Bush and Wainwright performing quite well and Hughes coming off the DL soon, is it time to just drop Fuentes?
x_Momentum
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby River Rat » Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:13 pm

I am committed to sticking with Fuentes in my money league for at least another two weeks. I would like to make sure that this situation corrects itself and it may take longer than a couple of days with Corpas pitching so well... Looks like this is turning into another Brad Lidge/Dan Wheeler situation. DOn't forget, last year Fuentes had some troubles but finished the last month of the season, just as strong as he began. I will hold onto him for a bit longer before I cut him and he goes to another team for the playoffs.
River Rat
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Injuries & Player Updates