Is This a Good Price For This TV? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Is This a Good Price For This TV?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Is This a Good Price For This TV?

Postby JTWood » Sun Jul 22, 2007 7:00 pm

I'm making my first purchase in the flat-screen/HD market. I've read up about all the technological stuff, but I'd still like some feedback. This TV seemed like a good deal, but it doesn't seem to do 1080p. Just 1080i. Don't know if that matters, so I'm asking...

Are these specs good for a TV that costs $1,150 shipped and all?

Features
* NTSC and ATSC tuners
* 1080i/720p/480p/480i digital compatibility
* Progressive scan
* 3:2 & 2:2 pull-down with motion compensation
* 3D digital comb filter
* MTS stereo detachable speakers (10 watts x 2) and simulated surround sound
* Pre-programmed sound controls
* Auto volume control
* Bass/treble/balance audio control
* Trilingual on-screen display (English, Spanish, French)
* Sleep timer
* Channel labeling
* Closed captioning

Specifications
* Aspect ratio: 16:9
* Resolution: 1024 x 768
* Brightness: 1000 cd/m2
* Contrast ratio: 8000:1
* Viewing angle: 160° x 160°
* Power: AC 100-240V 50/60 Hz
* HDMI input
* D-sub/VGA input
* 2 component video inputs (YPbPr/YCbCr)
* S-video input
* 2 composite video inputs
* RS232 input
* 5 audio inputs
* A/V output
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Is This a Good Price For This TV?

Postby Jimboozie » Sun Jul 22, 2007 7:03 pm

Name brand and model number?
Jimboozie
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby JTWood » Sun Jul 22, 2007 7:05 pm

Jimboozie wrote:Name brand and model number?

Polaroid PLA-4248. Oh, and it's 42". Their own prod description says...

From the Manufacturer
Indulge your senses in all 42 inches of the 16:9 Wide-Screen HD Plasma Television including its crystal-clear picture and MTS stereo sound. With Polaroid's slim design, detachable stand and speakers, this 42" Plasma TV will make a perfect addition to any living room or den. Watch the Big Game and all of your favorite shows in high definition using the built-in HD ATSC tuner.
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby Jimboozie » Sun Jul 22, 2007 7:13 pm

I always check out Cnet.com before making a big electronics purchase. They're really good, in-depth, and non-biased with their reviews.

http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-and- ... 95331.html

And another review I found....

http://products.howstuffworks.com/polar ... review.htm

Hope these help. ;-D
Jimboozie
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby GiantsFan14 » Sun Jul 22, 2007 7:36 pm

i didnt even know polaroid made tvs, i might stay away from it because of that...

also, you should go to a best buy or something and find out if plasma is really right for you, i have a flat panel lcd that i love and it looks a lot better than a plasma to me, differences between the two can vary on personal preference...just for price comparison i bought a sony 50 inch lcd tv on ebay about a year and a half ago for $1200 and have never had a problem with it, and i bought my parents a 42 inch plasma for christmas that cost $650 on ebay, its a vizio which is lower end but seeing as how i've done quite a bit of research for buying these tvs and never came accross a polaroid made tv it seems kinda sketchy
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 427)

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Mon Jul 23, 2007 4:31 pm

JTWood wrote: This TV seemed like a good deal, but it doesn't seem to do 1080p. Just 1080i. Don't know if that matters, so I'm asking...

personally i dont think its a big deal. when you look at the giant wall of tvs and notice that some look better than others, its more likely the contrast ratio that is the difference (assuming the screens are probably calibrated in the first place). most of the comparisons i have seen indicated you'd need to be sitting very close (2-3 feet) to a large screen (50 inch +) to notice the difference between otherwise similarly spec'd units, and even then its not particularly notable difference. i just dont have that discerning of an eye. 1080p sets will often look better than other sets but thats more due to the fact that they tend to be higher end models with better contrast ratios, more features, etc.

i am not familiar with polaroid tvs. a friend of mine has the panasonic 42px75u. its beautiful. currently $1099 at frys.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby slomo007 » Mon Jul 23, 2007 5:51 pm

Not a good deal, JT.

The contrast ratio is 8000/1, which for a plasma is just not acceptable. If you're going to spend the extra money on a plasma, get 10000/1 contrast. In fact I don't think I've ever seen 8000/1.

Besides that, it's just not that cheap. A quick search and I found this deal at BestBuy: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp ... 2881563317

This is a 42" HP which is a better brand, though still not a Hitachi or Pioneer, plus a free Sony surround sound system with purchase all for $999. Even if you don't need the sound system, you could sell it on ebay for $100-200 most likely.

If you really want me to help you find a deal, let me know exactly what you're looking for and I can find something else. 42" plasma I'm guessing? That's what I have, but I now wish I had splurged for the 50-55" range...of course that depends on your room size though. Also, how much money can you spend? I could find a $2000-3000 set that will blow these cheapos away, but it depends on how much you value it.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby Jimboozie » Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:26 pm

Note to self: PM Slomo007 when I'm in the market for a big-screen tv purchase. :-D
Jimboozie
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Coppermine » Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:04 pm

I bought a 42" Vizio LCD HDTV for $699 on TigerDirect.com. It came in perfect condition and works great. Total cost came in just over $800, but the $699 includes a $50 mail-in rebate and once I get that I'll have paid about $750. If you're going to buy online, MAKE SURE you check TigerDirect, NewEgg and other online discount stores. Do NOT be afraid to buy refurbished, especially if there is a warranty. In fact, I recommend reconditioned electronics exclusively. My television is refurbished and I also go an Onkyo home theater that retails at Circuit City for $799 for only $299 refurb online, plus about $50 shipping. You can just as easily get a brand new, $1200 TV shipped to you from a big box store and have it arrive broken.

I would also very much recommend going with an LCD over a Plasma... in fact, if you're getting it shipped to you, I would strongly advise you NOT to get plasma at all. Plasmas are fragile, heavy and both difficult and expensive to ship. LCD's are far more durable. At about 42" and up, the Plasmas might actually start getting a bit cheaper than the LCD's.

Also, don't get suckered into 1080p on a TV that's less than 50". At less than that size, and at a reasonable viewing difference, the difference in visual clarity from both 1080i and 720p is negligible. There is also no plans for programming of any kind to be shown in 1080p.

That HP LCD that slomo posted seems like a good deal, and it is... but I still think you can shop around and find a great deal on an LCD; and, like I said, I got Onkyo surround for $299. You can't beat that at all, and it all sounds and looks great.

I also encourage the Vizio and know people who love their Olevia's and Westinghouses. I have read some lousy reviews on the Westinghouse TV's and I don't know much about HP in the television business either. The thing to do though is to shop around, and be willing to buy online, buy off-brand and buy refurbished. If you've got money to burn, just buy a Sony Bravia.
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby StlSluggers » Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:20 pm

Thanks for all the tips, guys. Slomo, I'd love to chat. In fact, hit me up on AIM if you'd like.

StlSluggers426 ;-D
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Next

Return to General Talk