Scrub NL pitchers, Who is the lesser of these evils? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Scrub NL pitchers, Who is the lesser of these evils?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Scrub NL pitchers, Who is the lesser of these evils?

Postby zpalm » Mon May 13, 2002 12:52 pm

I have a reserve spot for another Hurler. THe league is 5X5 roto except k-bb instead of just K's.

I can get

B. Anderson Ari
K. Olsen Fla
G. Stephenson Stl ( who i am inclined to pick up since i have Simontacchi and he has the most potential in my mind)
H. Izquierdo Fla
M. Hampton Col

or should i get a middle Reliever
Sauerbeck (i already have Remlinger and G. White and i hate to fill my roster with middle Relievers in roto).
zpalm
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Chicago » Mon May 13, 2002 1:28 pm

uggg. Just about all of those pitcheres are horrible. Stephenson is my second pick off that list, but he wasn't good for much else except some wins when he was healthy, and the Cardinals aren't exactly tearing things up like they used to. So you can expect 4.+ ERA and 1.30+ WHIP, if that's acceptable.

My suggestion is to keep with the cigar theme that is going on in baseball (see humidor) and go with a Cuban, Hansel Izquierdo. Young pitcher, talent, great start. But his control is weak, so that might hurt your k/bb ratio. Also, he's filling in for the injured Beckett, so who knows what'll happen when he comes back. But at least he has potential, which is more than I can say for those other pitchers. Maybe you pick up Mike Hampton and hope he gets traded?

If I were you, I'd seriously consider the middle reliever route. Maybe a Scott Sullivan or someone of that caliber.
Chicago
College Coach
College Coach

Postby mktgteach » Mon May 13, 2002 3:52 pm

Do not pick up someone just to pick someone up. If you have a spot on your bench that is going to just be used as a bench spot, then do one of two things. I am assuming that you want a pitcher.

Is your closer situation solid? You might want to pick up a set-up man that would get the closer's job if the closer gets hurt. Such as Rodrigez from the Giants, Levine of the Angels, Karsay of the Yankees, etc.

OR, you might want to grab a pitcher that is currently in the minors, but should make it to the big leagues shortly. Obvioulsy Prior is probably gone. How about Brett Myers, Peavy, Tankersley(already up, not sure how long). Do some research and see which teams have some injuries and might call up one of their stud prospects.

:-o If you don't like either suggestion. In reality, all of those pitchers are on about the same playing field. Hampton might be ok away from Coors, Stephenson is a huge injury risk, Anderson might be your best bet b/c his team wins alot of games and scores runs. Your Florida pitchers probably won't see much time once eveyone is healthy. Good luck!

;-D
Go Hokies!
mktgteach
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 6)

Postby Arlo » Mon May 13, 2002 8:42 pm

If you can grab a minor leaguer with good upside (as suggested above), I'd do so.

Otherwise, I'd go for Izquierdo and see how he performs in the next couple of weeks. Maybe Chicago's right and the humidor in Coors is an omen? :->
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Return to Baseball Leftovers