Gabbard, how real is he? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Gabbard, how real is he?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Gabbard, how real is he?

Postby GaMBLe0709 » Sun Jul 22, 2007 11:38 am

Worth picking up? 4-0 on a Red Sox's team trying to hold onto the top spot. So far impressive but against mediocre teams. What do guys think? Is he the real deal? Another Lincecum/Gallardo type of guy?
GaMBLe0709
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Gabbard, how real is he?

Postby Another Blown Save » Sun Jul 22, 2007 11:49 am

He's lefty and generates ground ball outs.
That's about it for him. Eventually, everything will catch up to him.
Mat Latos - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!
Another Blown Save
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby kimchi_chigae » Sun Jul 22, 2007 12:05 pm

GaMBLe0709 wrote:Worth picking up? 4-0 on a Red Sox's team trying to hold onto the top spot. So far impressive but against mediocre teams. What do guys think? Is he the real deal? Another Lincecum/Gallardo type of guy?

Not nearly as much upside as Lincecum and Gallardo, those two are aces in the making. He might be good for a few wins just cuz the Sox have a good offense, but he isn't anything special. But hey, play him while he's hot.
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 194)

Postby jcook3127 » Sun Jul 22, 2007 12:25 pm

Yea I agree...he's not somebody that you're going to be able to rely on down the stretch...in fact, if Schilling ever comes back, Gabbard is most likely the odd man out in the rotation even with Tavarez pitching so bad...
Why don't they just get a house that's already painted?
jcook3127
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby wildbill » Sun Jul 22, 2007 1:07 pm

Some of the ESPN writers have been asked about him in their chats this past week and they all basically said he was never an elite prospect and is really nothing special. You can try riding the hot streak and he'll probably get a few extra wins on that team but don't be shocked if he goes out one day and gives up 7 or 8 runs in 3 innings of work. Look at what happened to a similar pitcher, Kyle Kendrick, in his last start after pitching better then expected in his first 6 games after he was called up (5 runs, 5 1/3 IP). Sure it could last but don't you think h'ed have been hyped in the media if he was really this good?
wildbill
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby GymRat33 » Sun Jul 22, 2007 1:18 pm

With Lester returning to the rotation tommorow against Cleveland and Schilling only a couple of rehab starts away from returning I don't know if he or Lester will be the odd man out for the 5th spot. My guess is Gabbard will be the odd man out...
GymRat33
College Coach
College Coach

Postby stumpak » Sun Jul 22, 2007 1:21 pm

wildbill wrote:Some of the ESPN writers have been asked about him in their chats this past week and they all basically said he was never an elite prospect and is really nothing special. You can try riding the hot streak and he'll probably get a few extra wins on that team but don't be shocked if he goes out one day and gives up 7 or 8 runs in 3 innings of work. Look at what happened to a similar pitcher, Kyle Kendrick, in his last start after pitching better then expected in his first 6 games after he was called up (5 runs, 5 1/3 IP). Sure it could last but don't you think h'ed have been hyped in the media if he was really this good?

Riding the hotstreak of a fundamentally mediocre pitcher is a recipe for disaster.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

Postby wildbill » Sun Jul 22, 2007 3:17 pm

stumpak wrote:Riding the hotstreak of a fundamentally mediocre pitcher is a recipe for disaster.
I never said or implied it was a good idea, in fact I implied quite the opposite.
wildbill
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Slayer Rules » Mon Jul 23, 2007 2:24 pm

I started him v CWS -and got predictably great results. I saw that his next start would be v Cleveland, though and promptly dropped him - I wouldn't start him v good lineups. Stream worhty? Absolutely - with that great run support
Slayer Rules
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby checkers » Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:31 pm

Will Gabbard stay in the rotation when Schilling comes back ?
checkers
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Injuries & Player Updates