Good Books - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Good Books

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Good Books

Postby J35J » Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:13 pm

J35J wrote:
Coppermine wrote:"The Secret History" by Donna Tartt. Highly recommended.

I looked this book up on Amazon and have been reading the reviews, of which there are over 500! 8-o Needless to say I think I might go pick this up at Borders during lunch today! Sounds very interesting!

Thanks!

Just saw a mention of "Special Topics in Calamity Physics", the book AA mentioned above, while reading the reviews for the Tartt book. Sounds like I might have to pick both books up! ;-D

EDIT:
Scratch the "Special Topics in Calamity Physics" buy, I read reviews on it and they changed my mind on buying it. Another book I did find that seems to have great reviews itself is "The Magus" by John Fowles.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 369)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby J35J » Wed Jul 25, 2007 1:52 pm

Ahhh, gotta love the compulsive buys. I just got back from Borders, during lunch, and I bought The Secret History and The Magus! !+)
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby pokerplaya » Wed Jul 25, 2007 7:06 pm

What is "The Secret History" about?
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Postby soxfan364 » Wed Jul 25, 2007 7:13 pm

Here's a little blurb from Amazon re: The Secret History

This well-written first novel attempts to be several things: a psychological suspense thriller, a satire of collegiate mores and popular culture, and a philosophical bildungsroman. Supposedly brilliant students at a posh Vermont school (Bennington in thin disguise) are involved in two murders, one supposedly accidental and one deliberate
soxfan364
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 5)

Postby Coppermine » Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:48 pm

Wow, I seriously didn't think anyone would take my advice. "The Secret History" is easily my favorite book. Soxfan's Amazon blurb is pretty much as accurate as you can get without giving too much away. In fact, I'd stop reading reviews and blurbs now and just pick it up.

I'd really like to discuss the book with you guys if you want once you finish it. Recently, I finally convinced my girlfriend to give it a try and she finished it in two days of marathon reading; she loved it of course. I may pick it up for a third time myself, despite knowing that there are so many great books out there. It's just that good.
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby ayebatter » Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:00 am

'Atlas Shrugged' by Ayn Rand
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1299)

Postby RugbyD » Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:09 am

ayebatter wrote:'Atlas Shrugged' by Ayn Rand

Yes, but the uninitiated may want to prep with Anthem or Fountainhead
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby J35J » Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:49 am

Coppermine wrote:Wow, I seriously didn't think anyone would take my advice. "The Secret History" is easily my favorite book. Soxfan's Amazon blurb is pretty much as accurate as you can get without giving too much away. In fact, I'd stop reading reviews and blurbs now and just pick it up.

I'd really like to discuss the book with you guys if you want once you finish it. Recently, I finally convinced my girlfriend to give it a try and she finished it in two days of marathon reading; she loved it of course. I may pick it up for a third time myself, despite knowing that there are so many great books out there. It's just that good.

I may have read to many reviews on Amazon but its just gotten more excited about reading it. I'm only 40 or so pages in but I can't wait for my lunch break to go through another 20 pages. Very nice recommendation!

If you read the reviews on Amazon you may think this is one of the best books ever written!! :-D :-°

So far so good for me!
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby beatdrum » Thu Jul 26, 2007 12:20 pm

"Ishmael" by Daniel Quinn. It'll change your life. ;-D
beatdrum
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 1)

Postby J35J » Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:53 pm

beatdrum wrote:"Ishmael" by Daniel Quinn. It'll change your life. ;-D

I've heard this book will change your life if you are a teenager but if you've "lived a little" its not that impressive.

I went to amazon to check out the reviews and I like to check out the "most helpful" first and see how those rate first and I'd say about 50% of the top 15 or so "most helpful" reviews give it 1 star....not very good.

I'll pass....doesn't sounds like something I'd want to read anyway though.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk