Virginity Ring - DENIED! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Virginity Ring - DENIED!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Virginity Ring - DENIED!

Postby Lofunzo » Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:58 am

Personally, I hate this decision. Religion is based on a ton of symbolism so, if she chooses to use a ring as such, I have no issue. I see no mention of it being a diamond ring and I also see no mention that she flaunted it.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BritSox » Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:09 pm

Lofunzo wrote:Personally, I hate this decision. Religion is based on a ton of symbolism so, if she chooses to use a ring as such, I have no issue. I see no mention of it being a diamond ring and I also see no mention that she flaunted it.

'No jewellery' is a pretty common aspect of school uniform rules in the UK. The intentions are various- prevent school life turning into a fashion parade, possible injuries from when someone gets punched by a guy wearing a sovereign ring (and the inevitable lawsuits against the schools the would follow) and so on.

I think the point is that as 'Not wearing a ring' is not incompatible with being Christian, there ought to be no special exception here.
BritSox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: You don't care, do you? No... because you're unconscious.

Postby josebach » Mon Jul 23, 2007 2:56 pm

Sounds to me like she needs a modesty ring if she really thinks being a virgin makes her better than others.

Beotch! :-b
josebach
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby josebach » Mon Jul 23, 2007 4:34 pm

Here's more about "Silver Ring Thing" which is the group behind these rings.

wikipedia wrote:Silver Ring Thing is a United States-based sexual abstinence program which encourages young adults to remain celibate until marriage. Based on conservative Christian theology and until recently funded by the U.S. federal government, SRT uses rock concert-style events in an attempt to appeal to 21st century teenagers.

SRT events feature high-energy music, club-style lighting and sound, music videos, sketch comedy, and a faith-based abstinence message. During the gathering, participants commit to a vow of sexual abstinence until marriage by purchasing rings.

Shortly before the end of the show, they receive their silver rings inscribed with Bible verses, which are usually worn on the third finger of the left hand. The verse is First Thessalonians 4:3-4 and it states "God wants you to be holy, so you should keep clear of all sexual sin. Then each of you will control your body and live in holiness and honor." The rings are tokens of their vow, a reminder of their decision to remain celibate. The rings also are a way to signal to others that they are pledged to celibacy. After they put on their rings, they take a vow to remain abstinent.

While it sounds noble, encouraging kids to remain abstinent until marriage is absolutely horrible advice in my opinion.
1) What percentage of people actually wait until they're married to have sex? What you're asking these kids to do is limit their potential spouses to those people who are also willing to wait until marriage before they have sex. This GREATLY reduces the amount of potential mates, making the odds of finding true love and happiness that much harder. What right does anybody have to ask this of them?

2) What if you find out after a night/week/month/year that you're not sexually compatible with the other person? What are your options? Get a divorce or remain sexually frustrated your entire life? Being sexually compatible is a HUGE part of being married. How can you ask these kids to leave such a big part of marriage up to chance? How unfair is that?

Don't get me wrong. I think encouraging children to remain abstinent is a great idea, but carrying that philosophy over into adulthood is just plain irresponsible, IMO.
josebach
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby AcidRock23 » Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:28 pm

not to mention, now that she is a famous virgin, her 'marketability' is limited to guys who value virginity, who would seem to be atypical enough that you might look at them as being a bit pathological, not to mention they are probably not good at uh various non-virginal type activities and together in combination would end up in the less than completely satisfied category when it's all said and done.

Not that practice is guaranteed to make perfect but well, you know... :-)
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby Dan Lambskin » Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:18 am

Washington Wizards is pretty lame...Atlanta Thrashers
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby ukrneal » Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:21 am

Dan Lambskin wrote:Washington Wizards is pretty lame...Atlanta Thrashers

I think you meant to post this in the horrible names thread?
ukrneal
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Amazinz » Tue Jul 24, 2007 5:37 pm

Purity rings are relatively new. If they stopped her from using a Crucifix I could understand fighting it. Purity rings aren't really a Catholic symbol so I don't see the problem with it. Prior to reading this article I thought purity rings were only common among the evangelical Christians. I guess it's different in the UK.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Coppermine » Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:37 pm

Minnesota Wild is the worst.

Would that make a wedding ring and "impurity ring?"
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Dan Lambskin » Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:14 am

ukrneal wrote:

I think you meant to post this in the horrible names thread?

:-B too many windows open yesterday...i thought i did something like that too but was too lazy to check
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Previous

Return to General Talk