Virginity Ring - DENIED! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Virginity Ring - DENIED!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Virginity Ring - DENIED!

Postby Dan Lambskin » Sat Jul 21, 2007 6:02 pm

U.K. schoolgirl loses ‘virginity ring’ court battle

LONDON - A teenager whose teachers had stopped her wearing a “purity ring” at school to symbolize her commitment to virginity has lost a High Court fight against the ban.

Lydia Playfoot, 16, says her silver ring is an expression of her faith and had argued in court that it should be exempt from school regulations banning the wearing of jewelry.

“I am very disappointed by the decision this morning by the High Court not to allow me to wear my purity ring to school as an expression of my Christian faith not to have sex outside marriage,” Playfoot said in a statement Monday.

“I believe that the judge’s decision will mean that slowly, over time, people such as school governors, employers, political organizations and others will be allowed to stop Christians from publicly expressing and practicing their faith.”

Series of disputes
Playfoot’s legal challenge was the latest in a series of disputes in British schools in recent years over the right of pupils to wear religious symbols or clothing, such as crucifixes and veils.

Last year, the Law Lords rejected Shabina Begum’s appeal for permission to wear a Muslim gown at her school in Luton. That case echoed a debate in France over the banning of Muslim headscarves in state schools.

Playfoot’s parents are key members of the British arm of the American chastity campaign group the Silver Ring Thing, a religious group which urges abstinence among young people.

Those who sign up wear a ring on the third finger of the left hand. It is inscribed with “Thess. 4:3-4,” a reference to a Biblical passage from Thessalonians which reads: “God wants you to be holy, so you should keep clear of all sexual sin.”

Lawyers for the school denied discrimination and said the purity ring breached its rules on wearing jewelry.

They said allowances were made for Muslim and Sikh pupils only for items integral to their religious beliefs and that, for the same reason, crucifixes were also allowed. But it argued that the purity ring was not an integral part of the Christian faith.

Playfoot said in her statement she would consult her legal team to consider whether to appeal.

what a whiner...i respect her decision to not give it up but it's not like the ring has some special prude-making power that's gonna turn her into Cu's mom if she doesnt wear it
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Virginity Ring - DENIED!

Postby KCollins1304 » Sat Jul 21, 2007 7:21 pm

But it argued that the purity ring was not an integral part of the Christian faith.

I have a problem with gov't deciding what is and isn't integral to someone's faith. To me it makes the whole policy flimsy. I could make up a religion right now where Grillz are integral to the faith, and it would have the same right to exist as Christianity. I'm curioius what the problems were in the school that lead to the jewelery ban in the first place, I can't see anything less than people wearing a Mr. T starter kit being a problem.
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby PlayingWithFire » Sun Jul 22, 2007 12:52 am

What kind of person that practically run around screaming "Hey! Look at me, I'm a VIRGIN!" :-?
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby byfrcp » Sun Jul 22, 2007 1:44 am

I'd imagine this is almost more about rebelling against a rule than it is her religious beliefs. Unless the ring gives her super powers to keep her legs crossed than what difference does it make to wear it or not, I'm sure she has already made everyone aware of her virginity.
byfrcp
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby byfrcp » Sun Jul 22, 2007 1:46 am

KCollins1304 wrote:
But it argued that the purity ring was not an integral part of the Christian faith.

I have a problem with gov't deciding what is and isn't integral to someone's faith. To me it makes the whole policy flimsy. I could make up a religion right now where Grillz are integral to the faith, and it would have the same right to exist as Christianity. I'm curioius what the problems were in the school that lead to the jewelery ban in the first place, I can't see anything less than people wearing a Mr. T starter kit being a problem.

I'm going to guess that they don't want students feeling less about themselves because their other classmates are wearing expensive diamond jewelery while they cannot afford it. Kinda like Borat's neighbor.
byfrcp
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby KCollins1304 » Sun Jul 22, 2007 7:37 am

byfrcp wrote:
KCollins1304 wrote:

I'm going to guess that they don't want students feeling less about themselves because their other classmates are wearing expensive diamond jewelery while they cannot afford it. Kinda like Borat's neighbor.

VERRRRY NIIIICE

sorry had to do that O:-)
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby theclefe » Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:03 am

Dan Lambskin wrote:what a whiner...i respect her decision to not give it up but it's not like the ring has some special prude-making power that's gonna turn her into Cu's mom if she doesnt wear it

Zing! It will take more than a ring to save her.

Purity power rangers are no good to anyone.
theclefe
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Sun Jul 22, 2007 11:07 am

I didn't know schools banned jewelry.... 8-o
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 7)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sun Jul 22, 2007 2:10 pm

Dan Lambskin wrote:what a whiner...i respect her decision to not give it up but it's not like the ring has some special prude-making power that's gonna turn her into Cu's mom if she doesnt wear it

Hey, that ring might have special powers into avoiding her into becoming ACS's mom.

As for the ruling, I think it's folly that schools would ban anyone from sporting religious symbols. They don't have any bearing on secularization of state institutions and if anything, it goes against freedom of religion. It's fairly silly to boast about being a virgin, but I can respect that, even though it makes her seem like she's aspiring to be an old maid.

Lydia Playfoot, what a kinky name.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Postby AcidRock23 » Sun Jul 22, 2007 6:18 pm

KCollins1304 wrote: I could make up a religion right now where Grillz are integral to the faith, and it would have the same right to exist as Christianity.

LOL, I can imagine that this could be quite popular... ;-D
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Next

Return to General Talk