How to stop this downward spiral of suckiness? WHIR - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

How to stop this downward spiral of suckiness? WHIR

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

How to stop this downward spiral of suckiness? WHIR

Postby schmidty » Sat Jul 21, 2007 3:06 pm

I'm really growing to hate this team. After being in 1st place 6 weeks ago, I've gone on to lose every single week, fallen to 5th place, and not even making the H2H playoffs is looking like a real possibility. Every way you can think of losing, I've done it. Offense tanking at worst moment, injuries, stinkers from guys I've thought reliable, always the wrong bench decisions. Plus my opponents seem to be making a habit of posting season-best numbers whenever they face me. I've hit a new low this week, getting my butt kicked by an inactive manager with the worst hitting and pitching in the league (but of course putting up stellar numbers this week).

10-team, H2H, 6x5 (with OPS)

C: Johjima
1B: Ortiz
2B: Polanco (had Kendrick, but dropped when he got hurt)
3B: M Cabrera
SS: M Young
OF: Holliday
OF: Rios
OF: T Hunter
Util: Berkman (1B/OF)
Bn: Abreu (OF), Atkins (3B), Furcal (SS)

SP: Sabathia, Lackey, Snell, Gallardo, Rogers, Robertson (just spot starting for Sunday against KC)
RP: FRod, CCordero, Capps, Accardo, Myers (on the DL, but I have no more DL spaces)
DL: Sheets, P Martinez

Best FAs:

C: Barrett, Estrada, Buck, Napoli
1B: Sexson, Laroche, Duncan
2B: Kendrick (but I have no more DL spaces), Freel, Barfield
OF/Util: Damon, Pence, Willingham, Lofton
SP: Mussina ( %-6 just dropped his behind), Pettitte (better in 2nd half?), Hughes (but I have no more DL spaces), Burnett (but I have no more DL spaces), Capuano, Arroyo, Mitre, Miller
RP: Neskek, Broxton, Corpas, Hennessey

Trading is tough in this league. Thought I pulled a major steal trading J Shields + O Hudson for Sheets/Young, but got burned instead. One team has Utley and Phillips and has needs at OF/Util, but is blowing off all my trade talks/offers. I've been pushing Furcal (or Young), Atkins, or a closer for SP help with no interest. I've even been shopping around Hunter/Rios with no success. Atkins and Furcal on my bench don't help me if I can't trade them, but they seem too good to outright drop.

Not sure what I can do, except hope my luck changes. My strategy was stock my lineup with solid high AVG/OPS run producers. Not worry about a super basestealer, but try to be competitive in that category with a bunch of 10-30 SB guys. I didn't want a big hitting bench (3 is more than I really want at the moment). I bought low on Berkman and Young trying to improve myself in that regard. For pitching, I wanted a strong group of closers to give me a lock on saves, lower ERA/WHIP, and give me good K rates. For SP, I wanted 2-3 "studs" to anchor my staff, maybe some "upside" guys, and the roster flexibility to pick some choice spot starts if needed. I don't know ... seemed a reasonable enough plan to me, and my roster seemed capable of executing it and making my team a contender. But I'm just not winning.

Any suggestions? I know Hughes is a guy I have to get on my team, but I already have more DLed players than I have spaces. I know it's a bit of a game of chicken, but I don't think anyone will take him until at least a couple of days before his first start so I'm aiming at a week before to take him (dropping the "spot start" position). Maybe take Kendrick back when he's healthy (2B has been tough for me all season). Maybe Burnett when/if he gets healthy, or Capuano/Arroyo if they show more signs of life (like if Arroyo has another good game Sunday). If you suggest an add, please give me the guy to drop to go along with it.

Leave a link and I'll rate/analyze yours too.
schmidty
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: How to stop this downward spiral of suckiness? WHIR

Postby Trumpethead » Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:29 am

On paper it looks like you've got a great team. Here are my thoughts. Neshek has been incredible for me all season and it looks like you're pretty set for closers. I would consider dropping one of them to pick up Neshek. Drop Robertson to pick up Hughes. Drop Atkins to pick up Sexson. Stats show that Sexson has great second halves. Duncan and LaRoche have been good and I would consider dropping Furcal for one of them. I would keep Abreu. He's likely to have a good 2nd half. Good Luck!
Trumpethead
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby NEWYORKMETS » Sun Jul 22, 2007 11:03 pm

Thanks for the input on my thread.

Your team really does look good. I really don't know how you couldn't win a game the past 6 weeks. I would definitely keep an eye on Hughes as he comes back from the DL. I'm pretty sure he just has 1 more rehab start before he's back, so watch out for him, because your staff is a little weak.

I really wouldn't touch anyone else on the FA market.

My only advice is to stick it out, your team is too good to be this bad. Also, it sucks that it's so hard to trade in your league, but you have to keep trying. Keep offering trades and whatever. Try to upgrade at SP, if not at C or something.
NEWYORKMETS
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby eamrhein » Mon Jul 23, 2007 5:09 am

Just stick with what you have man! With h2h there is a good deal of luck involved, especially in competative leagues. in a ten or twelve man league where everyone is a smart drafter and everyone is quick and intelligent with waivers and Free agents, I think that h2h is mostly luck. Even on good offensive or pitching weeks you can get some bad matchups where your opponent is really hot. If anything try to make some trades to make sure your players do well in every category. You seem to have a lot of good power/rbi guys but try to get some more guys that hit for avg, get runs and SBs. Your pitching is fine.

if you could give some trade advice...
viewtopic.php?t=309105
eamrhein
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby sherrie27 » Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:15 am

Yea- I agree with the other posts- your team is good- especially your staff- I would ride it out and don't make a drastic move unless you can get a better 2nd baseman- Phillips?? with a package of a close and pitcher? If not stau the course- this happened to me last year- I finished 6th (.500) and just made the playoffs as the last seed and won the championship- I swcored the most points in the league, but had 4 of the top 5 scores during the year go against me- same thing that happened to you- it gets frustrating, but in the end, especially during playoff time, your pitching will win it.

Mine:
viewtopic.php?t=309145
sherrie27
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby schmidty » Mon Jul 23, 2007 2:37 pm

Thanks for the comments so far. You can tell by my post that I kind of know the situation (that the team should be good, that I've been very unlucky, and shouldn't panic) but it helps to hear feedback confirming that. ;-D

Of course I officially lost the week again, and am falling way off the pace for a "bye" spot (not to mention being only 6 games up on the 7th place team). It's just unbelievable. Of course the other guy had Howard, Uggla, ManRam, HanRam, VicMart go absolutely nuts this week. Even crappy guys like Ensberg hit over 0.300. This is a team that ranks dead last in AVG and OPS, and last week he puts up 0.332 and 1.032 on me %-6 My guys were solid: 0.320 and 0.873 (above my season norms) but not enough. And CC, Lackey, Snell, Rogers, and Mussina pitched poorly enough for me to post sucky 4.59 and 1.39 ERA/WHIP totals (which of course I lost).

This week I face a team with Delgado, Zimmerman, Mags, Vlad, Beltran, Andruw Jones, Renteria. Needless to say, I fully expect all of them to go bonkers.
schmidty
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team