What service should I run my league through next year? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

What service should I run my league through next year?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

What service should I run my league through next year?

Postby Bajecco » Sat Jul 21, 2007 1:05 pm

Not including CBS Sportsline! It seems that most people like CBs the most. My league owners are not happy with it for several reasons.

Anyway, I do not want this to be a Sportsline bashing thread. What I want is to know who offers the best service other than CBS. I have used Yahoo and it went well.

So, is it ESPN, Yahho, MLB.com? Please help me choose a service for next year.
Bajecco
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: What service should I run my league through next year?

Postby IrishSox14 » Sun Jul 22, 2007 11:58 am

ESPN league has a nice free league setup and im playing on it now. There can be some problems there though so i say Yahoo! or ESPN. With a slight edge to Yahoo!
IrishSox14
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Bloody Sox » Tue Jul 24, 2007 2:41 pm

We moved from Yahoo to CBS and we are split about whether or not to move back to Yahoo. There are many things to like and dislike about both sites, so I'm on the fence myself. A lot of it depends on the type of league you have... keeper league: CBS. funky rules/settings: CBS. More straightforward league: Yahoo. Beyond that, it is really just personal preference. Though I do like looking at Amber Wilson every day on CBS :-)

I have no experience with ESPN except to know that they had a LOT of problems this year that they busted tail to fix. Sometimes that can be a good thing though, as the major problems can shed a lot light on what is important.
"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else"
Bloody Sox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 18)

Postby Bajecco » Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:46 pm

My owners and co-commish enjoy CBS for 1 reason. They can post pic's and create stories.

They dislike CBS for several reasons.

1. They are locked out from altering their lineup 30 min before the 1st game of the day starts.
2. Cannot set weekly limits for drop-add's or inn pitched.
3. The DL feature is not accuate at all. Guys are activated from or placed on the MLB DL yet the site sometimes takes a day or two to figure this out.

Anyway, we have decided to try a new site next year. Do any other sites allow the league to get involve by posting pic's like CBS does?
Bajecco
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Lofunzo » Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:32 am

Yahoo really seems to be listening and you can't beat the price. I vote Yahoo.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby Bloody Sox » Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:12 am

Bajecco wrote:My owners and co-commish enjoy CBS for 1 reason. They can post pic's and create stories.

They dislike CBS for several reasons.

1. They are locked out from altering their lineup 30 min before the 1st game of the day starts.
2. Cannot set weekly limits for drop-add's or inn pitched.
3. The DL feature is not accuate at all. Guys are activated from or placed on the MLB DL yet the site sometimes takes a day or two to figure this out.

Anyway, we have decided to try a new site next year. Do any other sites allow the league to get involve by posting pic's like CBS does?

Yahoo is moving in the direction of letting you post pics. Brad Evans, one of the Yahoo writers, is a member here at the Cafe (forget his Cafe name) and has been very involved in bring requests/complaints to Yahoo for implementation. They've made a TON of in-season improvements this year. Look on the Leftovers forum and search on Yahoo and you'll find a couple of big threads on them. He did say that allowing teams to upload logos isn't as straightforward as you'd think due to security reasons, but they are working on it.
"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else"
Bloody Sox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 18)

Postby Trojan Pony » Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:52 pm

I'm in one Yahoo! league and two ESPN leagues, one of which I commish. It is true that ESPN had several glitches in the beginning, but considering how impressively vast and thorough the system is, it was sort of to be expected I suppose. But there haven't been any problems for a while now and I quite like ESPN. It gives you many of the features that Yahoo! charges for in their PLUS package for free. And if you want to set up a custom league, ESPN is more flexible - I couldn't even have set up my league exactly the way I wanted it with Yahoo! So I would say they're both good but ESPN is better.
Trojan Pony
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby koondog » Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:23 am

yahoo is great, esp since it free. but as a keeper league with salaries/contract, CBS makes it very easy for me (as commish) to run the league. I like the fact that I can create a Saves+Holds category. Plus CBS has FAAB, big plus. The owners are starting to finally get comfortable with CBS (after 2 years), but yahoo is so much more intuitive.

I also use All-Star, but its alot more $, but fully customizable.

I dislike ESPN. they try, but just can't get their sh!t together.
I really dislike TQStats. Used it for one year, and will never go back. But very customizable.
koondog
College Coach
College Coach

Postby RotoFan07 » Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:43 pm

Has anyone tried the Commish service from Rotowire. I see Tout Wars uses it. $69 and it seems like it is able to do quite a bit.

Any opinions or feedback?
RotoFan07
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby talan37 » Mon Sep 17, 2007 11:01 am

My league is in rotowire and I enjoy it. Its not nearly as flashy as yahoo, but it gets the job done, they had no problems with there sites, and you can get realtime scores just for your team. I happen to like it more than yahoo because its much more straightforward. I am not the commish so i am not sure how the commish tools are, but my brother who is seems to have no problems.
Check out my blog at http://www.rotopulse.com for fantasy baseball analysis, injury reports, commissioner info and more. For laughs check out http://www.sportshysterics.com
talan37
College Coach
College Coach

Trivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Next

Return to Commissioner's Corner