Help me name my puppy - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Help me name my puppy

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Help me name my puppy

Postby slomo007 » Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:21 am

Sounds like it's too late, but thought I would throw this link in here for anyone still thinking they want a dog.

http://www.petfinder.com/index.html

Don't support the breeders, there are some good ones but so many of them overbreed their dogs and generally hurt the dog population. If you want a dog, just adopt one. You can search by breed and find pretty much anyone. We adopted a black lab about 6 months ago and couldn't be happier...she's a great dog.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby teddy ballgame » Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:54 am

teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby ironman » Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:34 pm

slomo007 wrote:Sounds like it's too late, but thought I would throw this link in here for anyone still thinking they want a dog.

Don't support the breeders, there are some good ones but so many of them overbreed their dogs and generally hurt the dog population. If you want a dog, just adopt one. You can search by breed and find pretty much anyone. We adopted a black lab about 6 months ago and couldn't be happier...she's a great dog.

That's how we found our mutt. ;-D
Wendigo's Camaro
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 97)

Postby StlSluggers » Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:32 pm

slomo007 wrote:Sounds like it's too late, but thought I would throw this link in here for anyone still thinking they want a dog.

Agreed. I have 2 dogs: a pound puppy and a pure breed. I love both, and the pure breed certainly exhibits a focus like the other dog has never shown. However, she's also extraordinarily bad with other people despite being of the exact same breed as the first - who's never met a stranger.

My future dogs will all be adopted. I see no benefit from buying a pure breed if I'm not going to show them.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 10)
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby Dan Lambskin » Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:51 pm

StlSluggers wrote:

Agreed. I have 2 dogs: a pound puppy and a pure breed. I love both, and the pure breed certainly exhibits a focus like the other dog has never shown. However, she's also extraordinarily bad with other people despite being of the exact same breed as the first - who's never met a stranger.

My future dogs will all be adopted. I see no benefit from buying a pure breed if I'm not going to show them.

i can see both sides and i've had both in the past (our current dog is a Mutt we adopted)...some people just really want a certain type of dog and that's cool, but if you really just want any dog then shelters are the way to go
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby TheA'sFatLeadoffMan » Mon Jul 23, 2007 2:30 pm

Pup-Pups
TheA'sFatLeadoffMan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby GiantsFan14 » Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:49 pm

Dan Lambskin wrote:
StlSluggers wrote:

i can see both sides and i've had both in the past (our current dog is a Mutt we adopted)...some people just really want a certain type of dog and that's cool, but if you really just want any dog then shelters are the way to go

i agree completely here, my first two dogs, which were actually the families when i lived with my parents, were both mutts we adopted at the pound and the greatest, sweetest, smartest dogs i've ever known...i had done a lot of research on puggles though and they seemed like a good fit as an apartment dog and the breed has a lot of very good qualities along with having very few health problems...i'm sure any dog i get after this will be from the pound
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 454)

Postby pokerplaya » Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:54 pm

My take on it...if you want a dog - adopt. Too many perfectly loving, friendly, healthy animals are put down because people insist on buying. You can even find the pure breed you want for adoption if you are willing to put in the time to look. And as a bonus, you save some cash and an animals life. Win win.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Postby Lofunzo » Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:36 am

To take it a step further, you can also look into adopting a greyhound. I saw the National Geographic special on their treatment and it made me sick. I had to cover his eyes while I watched it. Even though he is gone, he is not forgotten. Easily the best dog I have ever had. :~(
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 12)

Postby RyanK » Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:58 am

Lofunzo wrote:

To take it a step further, you can also look into adopting a greyhound. I saw the National Geographic special on their treatment and it made me sick. I had to cover his eyes while I watched it. Even though he is gone, he is not forgotten. Easily the best dog I have ever had. :~(

My neighbors have adopted greyhounds since i was little, i believe they are on their 4th and 5th.

when I get my own dog, hopefully this year, itll most likely be adopted. Im really tempted to try and get this guy:
http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/dis ... id=8874135
RyanK
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics Expert

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk