Happy Harry Potter Day - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Happy Harry Potter Day

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Happy Harry Potter Day

Postby josebach » Tue Jul 31, 2007 4:27 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:
talan37 wrote:When I said realistic, I meant realistic in terms of a coherent story and a fantasy world that makes sense. 20 years later Draco should be in prison or having been executed, not producing more offspring. He assisted in the torture,kidnap and murder of muggles and wizards, made several murder attempts on prominent wizards.(Harry,Dumbledore, et al). If he had turned, and helped in the end, instead of trying to kill Harry, ron and hermione again then it would have been ok. Voldemort was a "world-ending" threat to normal people(imagine hitler with a bigger army, able to go anywhere in the world in a short period of time and kill anyone at any time)... anyone in his good-graces who didn't turn spy or evidence should be sitting in a cell or dead after hes gone. Love and Sacrifice and the Jesus parallel was fine for me, the story was going that way the whole time, this whole elder wand business was crap.

In previous books they said that people who could show that they were Imperiused were not sent to jail. Draco wasn't under Imperius but they did threaten to kill his parents if he did not do what they told him to do. Under those circumstances passive assistance is the best that could be expected from him - for instance refusing to identify Harry, Ron and Hermione when they were captured and brought to Malfoy mansion. It's a lot better than what Luna's father did. By your logic Luna's father should be executed as well. Even Jack Bauer gets a little cooperative when family members are threatened.

While they had his parents captured Draco also tried to stop Crabbe from killing Harry and Ron in the Room of Requirement, he may have given up his wand to Harry in the struggle at his house (guessing on that one) and he refused to kill Dumbledore. He did fix the cabinets to let the Death Eaters into Hogwarts but that may have been under duress.

If Draco needs defence counsel I'm available - 100 galleons/hour, need a 2,000 galleon retainer.

Nice post! :-b

If anybody should go to jail it should be Lucius and his beotch wife.
josebach
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby knapplc » Tue Jul 31, 2007 4:30 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:If Draco needs defence counsel I'm available - 100 galleons/hour, need a 2,000 galleon retainer.

Broom chaser. ;-7

:-b
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby mweir145 » Tue Jul 31, 2007 5:20 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:
talan37 wrote:When I said realistic, I meant realistic in terms of a coherent story and a fantasy world that makes sense. 20 years later Draco should be in prison or having been executed, not producing more offspring. He assisted in the torture,kidnap and murder of muggles and wizards, made several murder attempts on prominent wizards.(Harry,Dumbledore, et al). If he had turned, and helped in the end, instead of trying to kill Harry, ron and hermione again then it would have been ok. Voldemort was a "world-ending" threat to normal people(imagine hitler with a bigger army, able to go anywhere in the world in a short period of time and kill anyone at any time)... anyone in his good-graces who didn't turn spy or evidence should be sitting in a cell or dead after hes gone. Love and Sacrifice and the Jesus parallel was fine for me, the story was going that way the whole time, this whole elder wand business was crap.

In previous books they said that people who could show that they were Imperiused were not sent to jail. Draco wasn't under Imperius but they did threaten to kill his parents if he did not do what they told him to do. Under those circumstances passive assistance is the best that could be expected from him - for instance refusing to identify Harry, Ron and Hermione when they were captured and brought to Malfoy mansion. It's a lot better than what Luna's father did. By your logic Luna's father should be executed as well. Even Jack Bauer gets a little cooperative when family members are threatened.

While they had his parents captured Draco also tried to stop Crabbe from killing Harry and Ron in the Room of Requirement, he may have given up his wand to Harry in the struggle at his house (guessing on that one) and he refused to kill Dumbledore. He did fix the cabinets to let the Death Eaters into Hogwarts but that may have been under duress.

Exactly, Draco really wasn't all that bad of a guy. He may have been a gutless, two-faced, muggle hating loser due to the way he grew up, but he never did anything that horrible (the one time he did, he was being threatened with his parents' lives as well as his own). It wouldn't have made sense for him to have been executed or be in prison, because it was clear throughout the book he hated being a part of the whole death eater crowd.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Previous

Return to General Talk