Happy Harry Potter Day - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Happy Harry Potter Day

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Happy Harry Potter Day

Postby Mookie4ever » Mon Jul 30, 2007 3:06 pm

On a different note can anyone out there think of another series that is as popular in print and on film as Harry Potter is that has released a big budget movie and a highly anticipated book within weeks of each other? I can't think of any.

I don't know whether the presence of the movie makes me enjoy the book more or less. :-?

When the movies came out Harry and Hermione were not as I pictured them in my mind (Emma Watson is going to be a babe and I don't want to picture Hermione as a babe). On the other hand Ron and Snape are exactly as I imagined them. Now with all of the movies and posters out there I can't help but picture Harry, the Dursleys, Seamus, Dean (Dean is black?!?!) etc just like they are in the movies. I think that I liked it better when these characters where just in my head and were not actors. Kind of like when I read LOTR and there were no movies yet.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 257)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby josebach » Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:14 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:When the movies came out Harry and Hermione were not as I pictured them in my mind (Emma Watson is going to be a babe and I don't want to picture Hermione as a babe).

I agree, except with Harry.
josebach
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby bceagles04 » Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:06 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:On a different note can anyone out there think of another series that is as popular in print and on film as Harry Potter is that has released a big budget movie and a highly anticipated book within weeks of each other? I can't think of any.

I don't know whether the presence of the movie makes me enjoy the book more or less. :-?

When the movies came out Harry and Hermione were not as I pictured them in my mind (Emma Watson is going to be a babe and I don't want to picture Hermione as a babe). On the other hand Ron and Snape are exactly as I imagined them. Now with all of the movies and posters out there I can't help but picture Harry, the Dursleys, Seamus, Dean (Dean is black?!?!) etc just like they are in the movies. I think that I liked it better when these characters where just in my head and were not actors. Kind of like when I read LOTR and there were no movies yet.

Thats why I was so hesitant to watch the movies when they first came out. I didn't want them to ruin the images I had conjured up in my minds eye. That being said, Snape and Ron are perfect, and the original Dumbledore was solid. Radcliffe however, makes a decent Harry, but I don't understand why he can't have green eyes, and messier hair like he is supposed to. Incidentally, I love the casting mistake they made with Emma Watson. Sure the Hermione from the book is supposed to be buck toothed, bushy haired, and a complete nerd, albeit with some moxie; however Emma Watson simply put, a total babe and she makes the movies worth watching.

The movies serve their purpose, however I enjoy conjuring my own images as opposed to being presented with someone else's interpretation.
bceagles04
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Transmogrifier » Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:07 pm

Of course it was hokey. I really enjoyed the book, but if anyone wasn't expecting huge plotholes, elementary writing (though I loved the use of sychophantic--teach those kids, Rowling), deux es machinas (the timeturner and miraculous car in the Forbidden Forest, yes, the hat the brings swords?, that phoenix tears happen to cure basilik venom?, that house elves have apparition powers that the best wizards do not?, etc., etc.), and literary archetypes were kidding themselves.

Even expecting that, the whole --SPOILER ALERT-- Jesus resurrection thing really bothered me. It was enough when Neo did the cross pose when dying in the final Matrix. It's the most overused cliche. Seriously, Harry has to sacrifice himself and has a God-like conversation with a man in a long beard? sigh.

That said, Rowling has made hundreds of millions--billions?--love to read. I don't care if it's tripe. Good on her.

Oh, and I'm pscyhed I got it right: Snape was good, and Dumbledore WAS begging for Snape to kill him, rather than pleading for his life. I swear I wrote this down somewhere. And, yeah, I know I'm not the only one. :-b
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby mweir145 » Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:21 pm

The epilogue was beyond ridiculous, and to me shows the childish nature with which she writes...I mean honestly, after all the horrible things draco has done, they are just going to let him go back to living a normal life? Its way beyond realistic.
[/quote]
I didn't like the epilogue much either. However, back to Draco, it's not like he ever did anything too horrible. He was always too scared to kill anybody and become a full death eater. And his mother did basically save Harry, albeit it was out of self-interest.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 2)

Postby mweir145 » Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:20 am

bceagles04 wrote:
Mookie4ever wrote:On a different note can anyone out there think of another series that is as popular in print and on film as Harry Potter is that has released a big budget movie and a highly anticipated book within weeks of each other? I can't think of any.

Thats why I was so hesitant to watch the movies when they first came out. I didn't want them to ruin the images I had conjured up in my minds eye. That being said, Snape and Ron are perfect, and the original Dumbledore was solid. Radcliffe however, makes a decent Harry, but I don't understand why he can't have green eyes, and messier hair like he is supposed to. Incidentally, I love the casting mistake they made with Emma Watson. Sure the Hermione from the book is supposed to be buck toothed, bushy haired, and a complete nerd, albeit with some moxie; however Emma Watson simply put, a total babe and she makes the movies worth watching.
The movies serve their purpose, however I enjoy conjuring my own images as opposed to being presented with someone else's interpretation.

Yes...I've gotta say I don't mind picturing Hermione as Emma Watson at all. :-B

Most of the characters from the movies are almost exactly how I imagined them, though. Particularly Ron, Snape, McGonagall, Dumbledore, Voldemort, and even Tom Riddle from the 2nd movie. They did a pretty good job casting at the beginning, IMO.

I recently read that Alfonso Cuaron was interested in coming back to direct the 7th movie, and I think that would be a great choice. The 3rd movie was definitely my favourite of the 5.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Mookie4ever » Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:26 am

Sure it's mostly formulaic Trans but did you see who became the new Minister for Magic at the end?

Kingsley Shacklebolt!

:-b
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby josebach » Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:30 am

mweir145 wrote:I recently read that Alfonso Cuaron was interested in coming back to direct the 7th movie, and I think that would be a great choice. The 3rd movie was definitely my favourite of the 5.

Ditto
josebach
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby talan37 » Tue Jul 31, 2007 4:06 pm

When I said realistic, I meant realistic in terms of a coherent story and a fantasy world that makes sense. 20 years later Draco should be in prison or having been executed, not producing more offspring. He assisted in the torture,kidnap and murder of muggles and wizards, made several murder attempts on prominent wizards.(Harry,Dumbledore, et al). If he had turned, and helped in the end, instead of trying to kill Harry, ron and hermione again then it would have been ok. Voldemort was a "world-ending" threat to normal people(imagine hitler with a bigger army, able to go anywhere in the world in a short period of time and kill anyone at any time)... anyone in his good-graces who didn't turn spy or evidence should be sitting in a cell or dead after hes gone. Love and Sacrifice and the Jesus parallel was fine for me, the story was going that way the whole time, this whole elder wand business was crap.
Check out my blog at http://www.rotopulse.com for fantasy baseball analysis, injury reports, commissioner info and more. For laughs check out http://www.sportshysterics.com
talan37
College Coach
College Coach

Trivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Mookie4ever » Tue Jul 31, 2007 4:25 pm

talan37 wrote:When I said realistic, I meant realistic in terms of a coherent story and a fantasy world that makes sense. 20 years later Draco should be in prison or having been executed, not producing more offspring. He assisted in the torture,kidnap and murder of muggles and wizards, made several murder attempts on prominent wizards.(Harry,Dumbledore, et al). If he had turned, and helped in the end, instead of trying to kill Harry, ron and hermione again then it would have been ok. Voldemort was a "world-ending" threat to normal people(imagine hitler with a bigger army, able to go anywhere in the world in a short period of time and kill anyone at any time)... anyone in his good-graces who didn't turn spy or evidence should be sitting in a cell or dead after hes gone. Love and Sacrifice and the Jesus parallel was fine for me, the story was going that way the whole time, this whole elder wand business was crap.

In previous books they said that people who could show that they were Imperiused were not sent to jail. Draco wasn't under Imperius but they did threaten to kill his parents if he did not do what they told him to do. Under those circumstances passive assistance is the best that could be expected from him - for instance refusing to identify Harry, Ron and Hermione when they were captured and brought to Malfoy mansion. It's a lot better than what Luna's father did. By your logic Luna's father should be executed as well. Even Jack Bauer gets a little cooperative when family members are threatened.

While they had his parents captured Draco also tried to stop Crabbe from killing Harry and Ron in the Room of Requirement, he may have given up his wand to Harry in the struggle at his house (guessing on that one) and he refused to kill Dumbledore. He did fix the cabinets to let the Death Eaters into Hogwarts but that may have been under duress.

If Draco needs defence counsel I'm available - 100 galleons/hour, need a 2,000 galleon retainer.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk