Happy Harry Potter Day - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Happy Harry Potter Day

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Happy Harry Potter Day

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sun Jul 29, 2007 1:37 pm

knapplc wrote:Yes, the Eagles are a problem for me, too. If they were such a force that they could stoop down on and drive off the Nazgul when they were allegedly at the height of their power, why couldn't The Wise have enlisted the aid of the Eagles to carry the Fellowship over the leagues from Rivendell to Orodruin, thus taking care of Sauron in about a day and a half?

Never made sense to me. :-D

You do know Tolkien symbolized America with the eagle in the book, right? :-b

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 674)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mweir145 » Sun Jul 29, 2007 4:52 pm

josebach wrote:
mweir145 wrote:Here's my question, maybe some of you can answer this.

Was Aberforth correct in his observation that Dumbledore cared more about the "greater good" than Harry's life in the end? I know Harry didn't mind dying for everyone as he showed, but Aberforth's assertion appeared to be true, despite Harry surviving. Was Dumbledore in fact raising Harry as a "pig for the slaughter" as Snape put it? Was he deliberately lying to Harry his entire life for the "greater good?" How long had he known about horcruxes, and made a guess that Harry was one of them?

Remember, Dumbledore gave Harry the resurrection stone. I think it played out exactly the way Dumbledore wanted it to.

*edit*
Actually, I think Dumbledore said that it was Voldemort having Harry's blood that allowed Harry to return. Regardless, I don't think Rowling wanted us to believe Dumbledore was sacrificing him.

Yeah, I think you're right actually, it seemed to go according to Dumbledore's plan, and I now don't think his plan involved allowing Harry to die. As luckygehrig above me said, it was that act of selflessness at the end that allowed the horcrux inside him to be destroyed. The blood inside Voldemort kept him alive, which is why in the 4th book Dumbledore has a "look of triumph" (or something like that) in his eyes when he hears about what happened at the cementary. The fact that the Elder Wand couldn't attack its own master probably helped as well, but Dumbledore didn't plan for that.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 6)

Postby knapplc » Sun Jul 29, 2007 9:40 pm

The Artful Dodger wrote:You do know Tolkien symbolized America with the eagle in the book, right? :-b

I know that people have surmised that, but I have never seen where Tolkien himself admitted it. It's not absurd, but is it more speculation than fact?
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby jazzmanljg » Mon Jul 30, 2007 1:54 am

***Spoiler Warning***

Did anyone else feel like it should of ended with Harry being a teacher at Hogwarts. I always felt like that's where things were headed. He should of been the ultimate defense against the dark arts teacher after all those years of turnover. Plus, the number of times he referred to Hogwarts as his home. I just found it frustrating that she wrote an epilogue but didn't address what he's doing (just made it clear that he wasn't teaching). Do we assume he became an Auror like he had said he wanted too? That just seems a little easy now that he has wiped out the main source of evil in the world.
Thanks to soty for the great sig!
jazzmanljg
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby josebach » Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:38 am

jazzmanljg wrote:***Spoiler Warning***

Did anyone else feel like it should of ended with Harry being a teacher at Hogwarts. I always felt like that's where things were headed. He should of been the ultimate defense against the dark arts teacher after all those years of turnover. Plus, the number of times he referred to Hogwarts as his home. I just found it frustrating that she wrote an epilogue but didn't address what he's doing (just made it clear that he wasn't teaching). Do we assume he became an Auror like he had said he wanted too? That just seems a little easy now that he has wiped out the main source of evil in the world.

I watched the J.K. Rowling interview on Nightline last night and she said that Harry and Ron went on to revolutionize the Auror dept at the Ministry of Magic. She said Hermione was the head over another department and said that the Ministry wasn't crooked like it was when they were kids. She mentioned possibly writing a Harry Potter encylopedia which will cover a lot of things not mentioned in the books such as certain character's back stories and such.
josebach
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby knapplc » Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:41 am

josebach wrote:
jazzmanljg wrote:***Spoiler Warning***

I watched the J.K. Rowling interview on Nightline last night and she said that Harry and Ron went on to revolutionize the Auror dept at the Ministry of Magic. She said Hermione was the head over another department and said that the Ministry wasn't crooked like it was when they were kids. She mentioned possibly writing a Harry Potter encylopedia which will cover a lot of things not mentioned in the books such as certain character's back stories and such.

In another interview (which I didn't see but have heard about) it sounded like that was just about a foregone conclusion. It'll have background stories on a lot of the characters, like Dean for one, and will "flesh out" what happens after a bit more.
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby talan37 » Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:46 pm

*SPOILERS*

Update~I finished it over the weekend.

I liked book 6, although it was really like Rowling had discovered boys the day before she wrote it. In the first 5 books there is literally one scene with anything even vaguely sexual going on.(People in the bushes at the yule ball, lavender giving ron funny looks) In the sixth book everyone is making out left and right and getting it on, even the waitress is described as "curvy" and attractive.(rosmerta) It was really a little wierd...its not like kids are asexual at age 16, but then turn super-horny at 17.

Honestly I thought harry staying away from Ginny was a little dumb, and Rowling watched spiderman a few too many times in between the books. One of the main themes of the book is love, and sacrifice, which is what ultimately allowed Harry to triumph, yet when true love is planted in his face he turns it away?(dumb)

I find book 7 to be satisfactory with little surprises... The ending battle at hogwarts is good except that she completely glosses over several important people dying. I even found the Horcrux plotline to be moderately interesting, but the Deathly Hallows angle was just a crappy way for harry to win IMO, and very anti-climactic. I was not surprised at all regarding Snape, it was pretty obvious to me he was in love with Lilly because of previous flashback scenes, dumbledores assurance of his allegiance, and when snape actually turned.(Right as lily was targetted, since it was obvious he had no love for James) Rowling also sold the idea that he was "evil" waay waaaaay to hard for him actually to be.

I also found the very end to be pretty weak... voldemort dies, and the book ends about 2 pages later with harry, ron and hermione in dumbledores office. She did such a great job with the battle at hogwarts, created a great scene when harry is being carried up to the castle by hagrid... then it just ends.

I didn't go back to look, but if Voldemort was using the Elder wand which couldn't hurt harry because harry was the true owner, how did the original Avada Kedavra "kill him" in the woods, and if it did "kill him" wouldn't that have transfered ownership of the wand?

The epilogue was beyond ridiculous, and to me shows the childish nature with which she writes...I mean honestly, after all the horrible things draco has done, they are just going to let him go back to living a normal life? Its way beyond realistic.
Check out my blog at http://www.rotopulse.com for fantasy baseball analysis, injury reports, commissioner info and more. For laughs check out http://www.sportshysterics.com
talan37
College Coach
College Coach

Trivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Mookie4ever » Mon Jul 30, 2007 1:16 pm

I just finished the book and I thought that the ending with the cliche showdown between good and evil where the fighters talk and explain everything for the readers and the epilogue with everybody living happily ever after was holleywood-hokey, sappy and I loved every minute of it :-D

Good for Rowling for not caring about literary criticism of her work and for giving the readers the ending that they really wanted. Being a billionaire she could have written this book for the critics of her popular style but instead she wrote it for her fans.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 280)

Postby daullaz » Mon Jul 30, 2007 1:24 pm

talan37 wrote:Its way beyond realistic.

I agree. If Harry would have just used a binding spell on the evil Dark Lord and flown away on a thestral, it would have been much more realistic.

:-D
daullaz
Head Scribe
Head Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 56)

Postby knapplc » Mon Jul 30, 2007 1:47 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:I just finished the book and I thought that the ending with the cliche showdown between good and evil where the fighters talk and explain everything for the readers and the epilogue with everybody living happily ever after was holleywood-hokey, sappy and I loved every minute of it :-D

Good for Rowling for not caring about literary criticism of her work and for giving the readers the ending that they really wanted. Being a billionaire she could have written this book for the critics of her popular style but instead she wrote it for her fans.

I agree with this sentiment exactly, especially the underlined part. At the end of the day she's not writing this to please critics, she's writing it for her fans, who have dedicated a fair portion of their lives to this series. Kudos to her to staying true to them, the people who matter most.
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk