Geez, what's Chris Young's (SDP) value? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Geez, what's Chris Young's (SDP) value?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Geez, what's Chris Young's (SDP) value?

Postby chipper » Wed Jul 25, 2007 1:03 pm

dbstrat wrote:
spacehamster01 wrote:SAN DIEGO PITCHER CHRIS YOUNG LEFT THE GAME IN THE BOTTOM OF THE THIRD INNING DUE TO AN UNDISCLOSED INJURY.


Oh man, that sucks! And he was pretty much the best pitcher in the MLB for the next 5 years too. :~(


Wow, dude talk about a hater.

Either you've got a huge Peavy man crush, or Chris Young broke your heart. I'm guessing the latter.


No one said he was the best, or that he will be the best for the next 5 years. Quit making stuff up just to make yourself sound better.


All that was said, is that he's close to the same level as Peavy, and if somebody offered me either/or for this year only, I'd take Young (before his injury yesterday of course).

So if you want to continue making up stuff that people said, and arguing (basically with yourself and the stuff you make up) then have at it. ;-D Let me know who wins.
chipper
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1567
Joined: 8 Apr 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Geez, what's Chris Young's (SDP) value?

Postby chipper » Wed Jul 25, 2007 2:12 pm

dbstrat wrote:Fact: if you think these two pitchers are the same caliber you are either ignorant or a nut.


Allright, more name calling. Good stuff.

Well if you've watched them both this year, I don't see how you can say they aren't at least close.

As far as "career numbers", you conveniently left out the fact the Peavy has pitched for a fairly good team, in a great pitchers part and in a weak division....while Young has pitched for a crappy team, in a crappy pitchers park and against the DH. Funny how those items slipped your mind.

dbstrat wrote:
Code: Select all
Peavy                 ERA     G       IP      H9      HR9     BB9     K9    WHIP
Major League Totals - 3.51    138     864.0   8.06    1.02    2.92    8.85  1.22
Young                 ERA     G       IP      H9      HR9     BB9     K9    WHIP
Major League Totals - 3.93    69      380.1   7.86    1.28    2.93    7.76  1.20


Funny...they don't look that much the same to me? :-?

They don't?....Really?.....Maybe take another look.

Thanks for helping prove my point with those stats you posted. Except for games and innings pitched they are pretty much the same. Young actually has less hits per 9 IP and their WHIP is IDENTICAL. All that while pitching against the DH and in a hitters park. I'm not into the name calling thing, but I do believe you're the nut if you look at the numbers YOU posted, and still say they aren't close.

Since Young has been pitching with the Padres, he's a total of 20 - 8 with a mid 2 era. (That "IS PEAVY" right there). In fact, over that same 2 year span, Peavy is 20-19 with a mid 3 era.

So go on calling names and using half of the available information to make your point sound better. Good stuff guy. :-°
Last edited by chipper on Wed Jul 25, 2007 3:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
chipper
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1567
Joined: 8 Apr 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Geez, what's Chris Young's (SDP) value?

Postby dbstrat » Wed Jul 25, 2007 2:32 pm

Really? Did I make up that Young is going to have an ERA in the 2's for the next 5 years and that he's worth more than Peavy at this point?

I must have logged in as a few other users while I wasn't paying attention and made posts using their accounts, maybe? :-?

P.S. I can't believe someone on this board is crying because they are called a "nut". Wow, that's some really inflammatory language right there! :-D
dbstrat
College Coach
College Coach


Posts: 158
Joined: 1 May 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Geez, what's Chris Young's (SDP) value?

Postby chipper » Wed Jul 25, 2007 2:37 pm

dbstrat wrote:Really? Did I make up that Young is going to have an ERA in the 2's for the next 5 years and that he's worth more than Peavy at this point?

I must have logged in as a few other users while I wasn't paying attention and made posts using their accounts, maybe? :-?

P.S. I can't believe someone on this board is crying because they are called a "nut". Wow, that's some really inflammatory language right there! :-D


Well I didn't say that about his era, and you were addressing me.

And I'm not crying about being called names, but how about you be a big boy and just give your opinion without that stuff?

Also, maybe address some of the other stuff I posted about how their numbers YOU posted are damn near identical, even though you claim otherwise. Or maybe that you left out the differences in who and where they played. Or maybe that since they've been under the same playing situation, Young has had a BETTER era and a BETTER win/loss record.

You know, just address any of those and then call me a nut and ignorant......It'll be fun. ;-D
chipper
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1567
Joined: 8 Apr 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Geez, what's Chris Young's (SDP) value?

Postby dbstrat » Wed Jul 25, 2007 3:14 pm

chipper wrote:
dbstrat wrote:Really? Did I make up that Young is going to have an ERA in the 2's for the next 5 years and that he's worth more than Peavy at this point?

I must have logged in as a few other users while I wasn't paying attention and made posts using their accounts, maybe? :-?

P.S. I can't believe someone on this board is crying because they are called a "nut". Wow, that's some really inflammatory language right there! :-D


Well I didn't say that about his era, and you were addressing me.

And I'm not crying about being called names, but how about you be a big boy and just give your opinion without that stuff?

Also, maybe address some of the other stuff I posted about how their numbers YOU posted are damn near identical, even though you claim otherwise. Also that you left out the differences in who and where they played.
You know, maybe address some of those and then call me ignorant......It'll be fun. ;-D


Actually, the post you took me to task on was not addressed to you.

Anyway, 3.93 is not the same as 3.51 especially when it's logged in less than half the innings. About the only area that Young was better was fewer walks. Kudos, it's better to walk fewer, but not if you're going to give up more homeruns to more than make up for it.

Again, aside from injury-related subpar performance (still respectable, though) out of Peavy last year and a little bump in the road just recently (read: pretty much since break)....Peavy has been better than than Young consistently and completely all at a younger age. You can't ignore their minor league stats and Peavy was WAY better, period.

If I think someone has got to be nutty to think Young is as good as Peavy based on stats from an injured Peavy last year and the delta between the two over the past few weeks where Peavy has raised his ERA a bit...how do you suggest I go about stating my opinion on that without hurting your feelings?
dbstrat
College Coach
College Coach


Posts: 158
Joined: 1 May 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Geez, what's Chris Young's (SDP) value?

Postby chipper » Wed Jul 25, 2007 3:39 pm

dbstrat wrote:Anyway, 3.93 is not the same as 3.51

You're right.....esspecially when one's in the NL and a pitchers park, and one's in the AL in a hitters park. Cool, we agree. :-]

dbstrat wrote:About the only area that Young was better was fewer walks.

Right, and then they were the same in WHIP, and hit's per 9, etc.....which was my point. They are very comperable.


dbstrat wrote:Kudos, it's better to walk fewer, but not if you're going to give up more homeruns to more than make up for it.

Again....please refer to PARK THEY PLAYED IN !
Come on, you understand that stuff right? The Rangers park is a bandbox and Petco is where power hitters go to die....


dbstrat wrote:Again, aside from injury-related subpar performance (still respectable, though) out of Peavy last year and a little bump in the road just recently (read: pretty much since break)....Peavy has been better than than Young consistently and completely all at a younger age. You can't ignore their minor league stats and Peavy was WAY better, period.

The last 2 years, Young has had the better numbers, period. Yes I understand Peavy's been hurt, and I think Peavy is STILL A GREAT PITCHER, I am only saying that Young is very comperable....that's all I've been saying the whole time. From here on, same park, same league, they are very similar quality pitchers.


dbstrat wrote:If I think someone has got to be nutty to think Young is as good as Peavy based on stats from an injured Peavy last year and the delta between the two over the past few weeks where Peavy has raised his ERA a bit...how do you suggest I go about stating my opinion on that without hurting your feelings?

Just like you did here, like an adult. No names, just present your case bud.
chipper
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1567
Joined: 8 Apr 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Geez, what's Chris Young's (SDP) value?

Postby Padsin05 » Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:47 pm

I was the one that said he would have an ERA of 2 for the next 5 yrs, I meant in the 2's and did explain that earlier.

I never once said he would be the best pitcher in baseball for the next 5 yrs. Ill still give that to Johan
Padsin05
Major League Manager
Major League Manager


Posts: 1540
(Past Year: 13)
Joined: 3 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Geez, what's Chris Young's (SDP) value?

Postby dbstrat » Wed Jul 25, 2007 7:22 pm

Padsin05 wrote:I was the one that said he would have an ERA of 2 for the next 5 yrs, I meant in the 2's and did explain that earlier.

I never once said he would be the best pitcher in baseball for the next 5 yrs. Ill still give that to Johan


Yeah, but Young has better numbers than Johan this year and was pretty good last year. We should probably rank him right up there with Johan. ;-D
dbstrat
College Coach
College Coach


Posts: 158
Joined: 1 May 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Geez, what's Chris Young's (SDP) value?

Postby chipper » Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:10 pm

Damn dude, why do you always have to be so abrasive and try to start crap. The guy basically just said he DID NOT think Chris Young was the best pitcher, which apparently is what you've been wanting to hear. Let it go.


ALL dude is saying (and all anybody in this thread has said), is that Young is pitching great, they think he will continue to pitch great for the rest of the year (barring injury), and that he is up there with the best in baseball this year. (His numbers this year WARRANT that type of praise). No one mentioned Santana....until someone said the BEST PITCHER is STILL Santana.

So stop trying to cause drama, your boy Peavy is tight, Chris Young eats punks like Derek Lee for breakfast, and Johan Santana is still God. Did I cover everything? ;-7
chipper
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1567
Joined: 8 Apr 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Geez, what's Chris Young's (SDP) value?

Postby dbstrat » Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:05 pm

This is hilarious! Why is Young not as good as Santana? His numbers are better, aren't they? I just want to know what kind of logic you guys are using to put him up there with Peavy, and Peavy is pretty much right up there with Santana albeit a small notch below.

So why is it ridiculous to rank him with Santana? This doesn't make any sense?

Incidentally, you call me abrasive but you are getting all riled up over nothing. Notice I didn't call anyone a nut? :-B
dbstrat
College Coach
College Coach


Posts: 158
Joined: 1 May 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: scarnicease and 7 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Friday, Aug. 29
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Minnesota at Baltimore
(7:05 pm)
Cincinnati at Pittsburgh
(7:05 pm)
NY Yankees at Toronto
(7:07 pm)
Philadelphia at NY Mets
(7:10 pm)
Boston at Tampa Bay
(7:10 pm)
indoors
Miami at Atlanta
(7:35 pm)
Cleveland at Kansas City
(8:10 pm)
Texas at Houston
(8:10 pm)
Detroit at Chi White Sox
(8:10 pm)
Chi Cubs at St. Louis
(8:15 pm)
Colorado at Arizona
(9:40 pm)
Oakland at LA Angels
(10:05 pm)
LA Dodgers at San Diego
(10:10 pm)
Washington at Seattle
(10:10 pm)
Milwaukee at San Francisco
(10:15 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact