Geez, what's Chris Young's (SDP) value? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Geez, what's Chris Young's (SDP) value?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Geez, what's Chris Young's (SDP) value?

Postby Frappy » Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:56 pm

So Young just finished off another dominant start, this time against the Phillies. The season ERA is now at 1.85 while the WHIP is 1.00 and the K/9 is just under 9. These some absolutely sick numbers, what in the world is his value at right now? In fact, what's his value in a keeper league? Is it a good time to sell high? I feel as if I could get a top bat + a solid SP in return for this guy in my money keeper.

Hmm..
Frappy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Geez, what's Chris Young's (SDP) value?

Postby Houser33 » Fri Jul 20, 2007 12:21 am

I wouldnt trade him in a keeper league unless I needed to improve in alot of categories. The thing with Young is that his height allows him to get away with bad pitches as batters just cant pick up on it in time. For the most part though, his control is superb and is why I think he'll be good for atleast another 5-6 years. Maybe not as dominant as hes been this year but pretty damn close. Dont forget he plays in a pitchers park, a flyball park, and hes a flyball pitcher. I just dont see any proof that would indicate a massive regression in years to come. He's atleast a top 5 pitcher heading into next year.
Houser33
College Coach
College Coach

Postby BJSFAN123 » Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:31 am

If I remember, he didn't have a great 2nd half last season. This year seems different though, he is just dominant out there. It seems like every start he goes 6ip+ with a 0 era. I would only trade him if you're getting top value back.
BJSFAN123
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Frappy » Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:15 am

Did Randy Johnson have the same height effect?
Frappy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby facts » Fri Jul 20, 2007 3:03 am

His HR/FB is 2.7% which is ridiculously low. He's also giving up flyballs 51% of the time, so there has to be some regression here, its just a question of how much. I'm bullish on him though, I wouldn't be selling unless I could get premium value.
facts
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Houser33 » Fri Jul 20, 2007 6:33 am

Frappy wrote:Did Randy Johnson have the same height effect?

Yes. But he also had a 97mph fastball on top of being 6'10", which is why Johnson K'd more guys (not to mention his filthy slider). Actually, watching the San Diego game last night, Tony Gwynn made the same comparison b/n Johnson and Young, saying that Johnson was the hardest pitcher he ever faced because it was so hard to pick up on his pitches.

The thing that sells me on Young is the fact that his fastball is under 90mph and batters are still way behind it. Last night he "blew" 3 straight 86mph fastballs past Greg Dobbs abd the guy looked lost after striking out. Most guys who see 3 straight sub 90mph heaters are going to put one of them into the seats.

Considering how rare good SP is these days, I wouldnt trade Young outside of A-Rod, Pujols, Reyes etc.
Houser33
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Houser33 » Fri Jul 20, 2007 6:36 am

facts wrote:His HR/FB is 2.7% which is ridiculously low. He's also giving up flyballs 51% of the time, so there has to be some regression here, its just a question of how much. I'm bullish on him though, I wouldn't be selling unless I could get premium value.

True. But remember that he tops out at around 89mph so even when batters do make good contact, the ball simply isnt going to travel as far as it would if he were throwing 95-96mph.
Houser33
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Noggy » Fri Jul 20, 2007 8:02 am

Houser33 wrote:True. But remember that he tops out at around 89mph so even when batters do make good contact, the ball simply isnt going to travel as far as it would if he were throwing 95-96mph.

It's easier to hit a homerun by pulling the ball. It's easier to pull a 89MPH pitch than it is to pull a 95MPH pitch. Why do you think hanging breaking balls get hit a mile?
Noggy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby dbstrat » Fri Jul 20, 2007 8:47 am

He will get hammered in the 2nd half. ERA will be 3.5+ by the end of the season.
dbstrat
College Coach
College Coach

Postby garf112 » Fri Jul 20, 2007 9:05 am

Greg Dobbs??? He blew fastballs by a career minor leaguer!

I'm not saying Chris Young isn't good, but you can't use Greg Dobbs as your example of how hard his fastball must look.

Young will have a 3+ ERA in the second half. His numbers will still end up looking ridiculous.
Join Pennant Wars today! A simulated fantasy baseball game where you are the General Manager.

http://www.pennantwars.com/index.php?r= ... &user=2163
garf112
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 38)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers