what is CC's deal.. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

what is CC's deal..

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

what is CC's deal..

Postby redbirds10 » Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:26 pm

he has had some real rough outings, any cleveland homers got news on him or did he just hit a wall
redbirds10
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: what is CC's deal..

Postby kbarre » Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:35 pm

I live in Cleveland...but look at his season realistically. The guy has never won what he's on pace for this year. Look at his splits, too. He's not as good second half as he is first half. He's never been super durable either. I wouldn't expect a mirror image of his stellar first half. Not by a long shot. That's just my .02
kbarre
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Oriole Way » Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:45 pm

kbarre wrote:I live in Cleveland...but look at his season realistically. The guy has never won what he's on pace for this year. Look at his splits, too. He's not as good second half as he is first half. He's never been super durable either. I wouldn't expect a mirror image of his stellar first half. Not by a long shot. That's just my .02

I think you make some good points, but Sabathia is only 27 years old. Do you not expect him to improve at all as he gets older?

He had some bad luck last year with run support and a bad bullpen. The wins are legit this year, because Cleveland will always put up some runs.

I'm disappointed with his recent run, but if he has a nice run of a few games, his numbers will be great again. As you mention, the durability is a major concern. I'm torn on whether I should deal C.C. in one of my dynasty leagues, but I really think he still has room to get better.

Any other Indians experts have thoughts?
Oriole Way
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Splendid61 » Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:31 am

Oriole Way wrote:I think you make some good points, but Sabathia is only 27 years old. Do you not expect him to improve at all as he gets older?

He's also grossly overweight. They list him at 290, but I remember hearing reports earlier this season that he's closer to 330.

I wouldn't be surprised if Sabathia's weight problem continues to give him durability issues. In his previous 6 seasons, he's reached 200 innings only once. I wounldn't be surprised if Sabathia really starts battling injuries like what's happened to another fatty over the last 2 seasons, Bartolo Colon.
Splendid61
College Coach
College Coach

Postby redjake » Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:35 am

He faces Matsuzaka and Santana next week. I'm looking forward to seeing how he pitches at home against BOS and MIN especially when matched up against those two, but he'll be doing it on my bench I think.
redjake
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Sunspot » Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:41 am

Ok, first of all, this isn't basketball we are talking about, the weight issue is a bunch of balogna. Babe Ruth once said "I am a baseball player, not an athlete". Any injury problems that Sabathia has had or might have are non-weight related. Most of you sound like you are trying to talk an owner in your league into trading him to you with this kind of talk. Sabathia has always had the potential to put together this kind of season, it was bound to happen one of these years, why can't we believe it is finally happening? Every player in the history of the game has a year that they call their best year, this could be his, this could be just the beginning and next year might be his best year. My point is that track record is not consistant for entire careers, so we can't go jump ship on a guy because he is having his best season, this is a guy you want to have now. If you still don't believe this is his year, then trade him, but don't sell yourself short.
Sunspot
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby kbarre » Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:49 am

I'm sorry, I don't mean to downplay CC's amazing first half, and I'll never say he's a poor pitcher. He's a workhorse innings eater that is excellent on any fantasy team.

However, I never ignore splits, history, etc....Sure everyone has their "best year" at some point, but rarely is it a complete flip flop of their trends (unless they've had a little BALCO help along the way).

CC doesn't do as well in the second half, and he has never gone high in the innings totals (and you know that's not because he was getting shellacked...he just isn't too durable historically).

That's all I'm saying. I think you're fine keeping CC, all I said was don't be shocked if he doesn't post similar post ASB numbers. Am I way off on that? If I am, commit me to an asylum.
kbarre
College Coach
College Coach

Postby The Loveable Losers » Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:53 am

kbarre wrote:I'm sorry, I don't mean to downplay CC's amazing first half, and I'll never say he's a poor pitcher. He's a workhorse innings eater that is excellent on any fantasy team.

However, I never ignore splits, history, etc....Sure everyone has their "best year" at some point, but rarely is it a complete flip flop of their trends (unless they've had a little BALCO help along the way).

CC doesn't do as well in the second half, and he has never gone high in the innings totals (and you know that's not because he was getting shellacked...he just isn't too durable historically).

That's all I'm saying. I think you're fine keeping CC, all I said was don't be shocked if he doesn't post similar post ASB numbers. Am I way off on that? If I am, commit me to an asylum.

CC's had something much more powerful than BALCO in his corner. He had McDonalds, Wendy's, Rally's, Taco Bell, and Pizza Hut - and that was just second lunch. :-b
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

Postby 5 » Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:33 am

This year he's throwing more strikes...the walks are down but the .278 BAA is bit high for him.

by the way, September is his best career month in terms of ERA & WHIP
General Manager
General Manager

Postby tomkatt » Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:40 am

The Loveable Losers wrote:
kbarre wrote:I'm sorry, I don't mean to downplay CC's amazing first half, and I'll never say he's a poor pitcher. He's a workhorse innings eater that is excellent on any fantasy team.

CC's had something much more powerful than BALCO in his corner. He had McDonalds, Wendy's, Rally's, Taco Bell, and Pizza Hut - and that was just second lunch. :-b

Fourth Meal! :-D
tomkatt
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Return to Injuries & Player Updates