Low Poster vs Cafe Vets - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Low Poster vs Cafe Vets

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Low Poster vs Cafe Vets

Postby TheA'sFatLeadoffMan » Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:21 pm

This forum more than any other I post on has the humblest community, on other forums I post on there are often times where people throw around a superiority complex due to only their familiarity with the vets/post count. I think the average age has something to do with it, seeing as more adults frequent this forum than the gaming forum I also frequent regularly.

This board has a very nice community for the most part, esp. with their tight regulation and rules on meaningless flaming and such that keeps idiots from making their mark on the fabric of the board.

I can't speak for Vet's, but I can say personally I've never felt someone was talking down to me at any point since I been posting here.
TheA'sFatLeadoffMan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Snakes Gould » Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:05 pm

the only time i think post counts matter is when you're asking to join a league or possibly asking for a sig. for the most part, if you have 5 posts and no reputation here at the cafe, you wont be included in a cafe league no matter how good you say you are doing in your leagues.

being a frequent poster in the graphics forum, i know most people wont make a signature for a guy with like 10 posts, for the fear of they are using it for another site and we wont see you again.

other than that, i think if you make quality posts you can be recognized very quickly and be respected. ;-D

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby chadlincoln » Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:54 pm

I mean look at Brandon Funston's post count on here. :-D
7/26 - Cafe goes down:

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]
Table './cafe_forums/baseball_sessions' is marked as crashed and should be repaired [145]
An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.
chadlincoln
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby StlSluggers » Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:31 pm

IrishSox14 wrote:Thanks for your imput guys. I wasnt sure how vets though of the low posters. Thought it could be like the Seniors vs freshmen in highschool. Well like i said about a league. If anyone is interested in doing a low poster vs cafe vets or have an opening in a league i would be interested.

I know it can seem like a lot of us "old-timers" (if that's even an appropriate title) make light of the new guys' posts, but that's not what's happening. Often times, the new people come in offering up discussions that we have already had multiple times before. We understand that the new guy generally means well, but when you've had the same conversation 20 times a year for 3 or more years, it can get stale. A little humor helps keep us interested. A good example would be the "When Does Yahoo Open?" threads. Those are a great source of humor for us, because they come like clockwork each and every year.

As for a new vs. old league... That would be intriguing, wouldn't it, Jason? :-)
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby J35J » Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:39 pm

StlSluggers wrote:As for a new vs. old league... That would be intriguing, wouldn't it, Jason? :-)

It would, it would indeed! ;-D

He actually got ahold of me about it and we've discussed it! :-)
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 369)

Postby sox 06 » Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:47 pm

Mugrila wrote:Quality over quantity, plain and simple. ;-D

Couldn't have said it better myself ;-D
sox 06
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby Madison » Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:49 pm

IrishSox14 wrote:Alright i always wondered if Cafe vets get annoyed with low posters? SO do you guys or just not pay attention to them. Im trying to be around here more and get posts but i just wondered your thoughts on low posters.

What do you guys think about this?

I think us guys with low post counts have to band together and watch each other's backs. Those wily vets are everywhere and they are sharpshooters, so always keep your eyes and ears open. Us N00Bs are never safe. :-o

:-b

;-)

Seriously, the content of your posts is what matters. Sure, people will look at your post count, that's inevitable, but their opinion on you will be reflected on the actual content of those posts. Can be good, can be bad, it's all up to you. We've got a "L"earner tag that newer members can put up that lets everyone know that person is still learning the game, and that's gone quite well with people giving solid advice and being extra nice to those members. We also get new members that know their stuff before they ever register here, so we all know post counts are not necessarily the best thing to base opinions off of. All in all, it's a pretty laid back group we have here. Of course there's the whole Sox/Yanks rivalry, the Bonds/steroids debates, and things of that nature, but for the most part, it's very easy going around here. :-)

Welcome to the Cafe. ;-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby josebach » Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:56 pm

Madison wrote:We've got a "L"earner tag that newer members can put up that lets everyone know that person is still learning the game, and that's gone quite well with people giving solid advice and being extra nice to those members.

Don't believe him, Irish. After you get to a 1,000 posts you'll get a private message from a mod telling you that the "L" really stands for "LOSER". It's their cruel little joke. Everbody knows you can't know crap about baseball unless you have at least 1,000 posts. ;-7
josebach
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Jimboozie » Thu Jul 19, 2007 6:10 pm

I eat n00bs for breakfast! }:-)

Oh wait...I'm a n00b on this side.

Please, do NOT eat me! I'll give you horrible gas! 8-o

:-D
Jimboozie
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Absolutely Adequate » Thu Jul 19, 2007 6:12 pm

I actually think I pay more attention to what the new people are saying. Maybe it's because I assume I know what the people who have been around a long time will say, or I know their biases, or etc. But I prefer the new blood.

StlSluggers wrote:I know it can seem like a lot of us "old-timers"

Jebus. What does it say about me that I still think of you as a newby?
Absolutely Adequate
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk