Low Poster vs Cafe Vets - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Low Poster vs Cafe Vets

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Low Poster vs Cafe Vets

Postby IrishSox14 » Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:30 am

Alright i always wondered if Cafe vets get annoyed with low posters? SO do you guys or just not pay attention to them. Im trying to be around here more and get posts but i just wondered your thoughts on low posters.

What do you guys think about this?

Maybe this could be a league? :-? ;-D
IrishSox14
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Low Poster vs Cafe Vets

Postby davidmarver » Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:38 am

Normally when I log into the cafe, I browse for the most interesting, stimulating posts I can find. I generally read every post in those, which is where any poster can make his/her impression on me. Once I find a good crop of posters (right now, there are about ten-fifteen I check regularly), I like to look at their posts on a regular (weekly) basis.
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Art Vandelay » Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:41 am

I think for the most part, people don't care about how many posts you have, but rather what your posts say. If you've got insightful/interesting comments to make, you'll be noticed before you get to a hundred posts. If you post incessantly but never really have much to add, it won't matter if you get to 10,000 posts.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby knapplc » Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:42 am

The number of times a guy posts is irrelevant to the quality of his posts. I have in excess of 12,000 posts on the Football Cafe, almost 9,000 of which have nothing to do with football in their General Talk forum. Anyone who would rely on me for fantasy advice based on the number below my name is being foolish, plain and simple.

The best way to gauge someone is to stick around for a while, read their posts and see what they have to say.

The loudest guy in the room isn’t always the most knowledgeable. ;-)
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Mugrila » Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:08 am

Quality over quantity, plain and simple. ;-D
Mugrila
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Champion

Postby J35J » Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:10 am

IrishSox14 wrote:Maybe this could be a league? :-? ;-D

}:-) B-)

Also, I don't think anyone cares how many posts you have... One thing that can be bad as a low poster (n00b) is to come in here demanding respect as an "expert" or trying to "rule the roost" so to speak. At the same time, don't be intimidated by the "vets". You can make you're voice or opinion heard without being an A-hole or disrespectful. Nobody likes a cocky, arrogant n00b.

Anyway, Welcome! I'm sure you will fit in nicely. Don't be a stranger!
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 390)

Postby knapplc » Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:17 am

J35J wrote:Nobody likes a cocky, arrogant n00b.

Nobody likes a cocky, arrogant Vet, either. The vast majority of Cafegians don't "throw their weight around" because of their post count, but I've read the "n00b" thing thrown at people with low post counts before, and all that does is show the ignorance of the "vet," not the n00b. I can't even vaguely recall seeing that more than once, but I know I have seen it before. It's rare, though. There are very few jerks at the Cafe.

I think the reason the Cafe is so large and is such a great place is that the culture here discounts vet status and does rely on the quality of the posts. As long as that is the case the Cafe will continue to be among the best of the fantasy sports forums. ;-D
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby sportsaddict » Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:20 am

If you're adding to the board's discussions in a respectful manner and you add insight in your posts, nobody will have any problem with you ;-D

There are people with thousands of posts that are never noticed, as someone already mentioned, because their posts are usually super short and lack substance. I think a lot of times "post counts" (is that a real term?) mean more than they should. Just because a person has 10,000 posts doesn't mean they automatically know more about fantasy baseball than someone with 5 posts (they might, but it shouldn't be assumed).
"Oh, that Lankford and McGee, the trio of 'em. They're a one-man wrecking crew."

-Mike Shannon
sportsaddict
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby IrishSox14 » Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:27 am

Thanks for your imput guys. I wasnt sure how vets though of the low posters. Thought it could be like the Seniors vs freshmen in highschool. Well like i said about a league. If anyone is interested in doing a low poster vs cafe vets or have an opening in a league i would be interested.
IrishSox14
College Coach
College Coach

Postby J35J » Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:45 am

knapplc wrote:
J35J wrote:Nobody likes a cocky, arrogant n00b.

Nobody likes a cocky, arrogant Vet, either.

Well obviously, just trying to answer the question from the n00b side. Gotta get all politically correct all the time! !+)
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 390)

Next

Return to General Talk