The Bronx is Burning - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

The Bronx is Burning

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

The Bronx is Burning

Postby sportsaddict » Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:23 am

Does anyone watch this show on ESPN?

I watched the first episode and was actually entertained, but last night I attempted to watch and I had to turn it off mid way through because it was just terrible and boring.

Whoever plays Steinbrenner is awful, in my opinion.
"Oh, that Lankford and McGee, the trio of 'em. They're a one-man wrecking crew."

-Mike Shannon
sportsaddict
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: The Bronx is Burning

Postby Tavish » Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:07 am

Watched the first night, have the second recorded on DVR. Really enjoyed the first episode and thought that Oliver Platt was actually fairly good as Steinbrenner and Turturro was great as Billy Martin. Now I'm a little paranoid about watching the second episode. :-o

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Postby Old_Style » Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:43 am

I caught the first episode and I'm thinking I might have missed something. Why did the include the Son of Sam story into the show? I know this is all in the same year but it doesn't make sense to me.
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Tavish » Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:57 am

Old_Style wrote:I caught the first episode and I'm thinking I might have missed something. Why did the include the Son of Sam story into the show? I know this is all in the same year but it doesn't make sense to me.

It was part of the atmosphere of that time in New York. Sort of like if there was a show about the 2001 Diamondbacks they would include the 9/11 attacks as part of the story. I'm sure they will also cover the 1977 NYC blackout (and the rioting and vandalism that went with it) and the crazy mayoral race that came after that.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter

Postby Dan Lambskin » Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:05 am

i thought it was just a movie and not a series...i probably wont watch (i'm sure it's no TILT) but it's gotta be better than Who's Now...seriously, has there been a worse idea in the history of ever?
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Lofunzo » Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:27 am

Dan Lambskin wrote:i thought it was just a movie and not a series...i probably wont watch (i'm sure it's no TILT) but it's gotta be better than Who's Now...seriously, has there been a worse idea in the history of ever?

Give me time but, at the moment, no. This is an 8 week "series".
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby sportsaddict » Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:23 am

Who's Now is awful as well. ESPN in general has just totally gone downhill. The only thing they do right is college basketball coverage and NFL coverage, other than that its really awful. I don't even think they cover MLB very well, but that's just my opinion. ESPN has gone more from sports to entertainment, so now if I want sports news I check out FSN's Final Score where they actually do real highlights without all the crap in between.

I've heard varying views on the Bronx is Burning... I said in my first post that I thought Steinbrenner was pretty bad- I think the actor overdoes the whole "demanding" attitude of Steinbrenner, and he almost acts like a 3 year old that wants candy instead of a grown man who owns a baseball team. I'm not a Yankee fan so my knowledge of him is limited, but is Steinbrenner actually like that? In the show he just acts like a total baby and that's one of the reasons I don't like him.

Whoever plays Billy Martin does an all right job, I think his character is a bit boring off the field but still, not bad.

And Reggie Jackson is perfectly done. I think the actor that plays him is doing a magnificent job.

All in all, I didn't like the 2nd episode so maybe I'll check out the 3rd... maybe not. Still have to decide. :-b
"Oh, that Lankford and McGee, the trio of 'em. They're a one-man wrecking crew."

-Mike Shannon
sportsaddict
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Tavish » Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:21 pm

sportsaddict wrote:I've heard varying views on the Bronx is Burning... I said in my first post that I thought Steinbrenner was pretty bad- I think the actor overdoes the whole "demanding" attitude of Steinbrenner, and he almost acts like a 3 year old that wants candy instead of a grown man who owns a baseball team. I'm not a Yankee fan so my knowledge of him is limited, but is Steinbrenner actually like that? In the show he just acts like a total baby and that's one of the reasons I don't like him.

They won't even get to cover some of the real crappy things the Boss has done. He isn't really a likable guy unless you are a Yankees fan. Interesting and controversial for sure. Look around the web for Steinbrenner vs Dave Winfield or his antics during the ALCS in 1981.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby Snakes Gould » Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:00 pm

well you're criticizing the storyline, not the actors. oliver platt is doing a fairly decent job if you ask me. i watched both episodes and i was entertained all the way through. i get that the son of sam was part of the atmosphere but i dont really like how they blend it together. it seems to be just randomly thrown in there. i like the job for what it is, and i also enjoy the backstory at the end. copared to everything else going on ESPN at the moment, this might be the best form of entertainment on the station.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Jimboozie » Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:06 pm

sportsaddict wrote:I've heard varying views on the Bronx is Burning... I said in my first post that I thought Steinbrenner was pretty bad- I think the actor overdoes the whole "demanding" attitude of Steinbrenner, and he almost acts like a 3 year old that wants candy instead of a grown man who owns a baseball team. I'm not a Yankee fan so my knowledge of him is limited, but is Steinbrenner actually like that? In the show he just acts like a total baby and that's one of the reasons I don't like him.

Whoever plays Billy Martin does an all right job, I think his character is a bit boring off the field but still, not bad.

And Reggie Jackson is perfectly done. I think the actor that plays him is doing a magnificent job.

Three great actors. Oliver Platt plays Steinbrenner, John Turturro plays Martin, and Daniel Sunjata plays the role of Reggie Jackson.

Platt and Turturro are long time actors who have been in dozens of films. Sunjata is from "Rescue Me" which is an amazingly awesome tv series on FX.

I'll watch just about anything with those three guys in it. ;-D
Jimboozie
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Next

Return to General Talk