100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

White Reggie

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: White Reggie

Postby Madison » Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:27 pm

davidmarver wrote:
Madison wrote:His race is irrelevant

The kids nickname is "The White Reggie". How, then, is race irrelevant?

For a country that wants to eliminate racism, it doesn't make sense to continue to do stupid stuff like that.

davidmarver wrote:They could have called him "The Twelve-Year Old Reggie Bush" or "The Short Reggie Bush" and it would still convey the same message; that he's not Reggie Bush, but he plays close to it.

Exactly ;-D . Why not "The Next Reggie Bush" or by golly go with something original for this kid? Why a nickname based on race, when race is 100% irrelevant? Does it matter that he's white? No. Would it matter if he was black, asian, hispanic, polish, or neon green with neon pink polka dots? No. So why continue to throw race into everything, when racism is something that's trying to be eliminated, and race is totally irrelevant to the situation and/or discussion?

If someone called Barry Bonds "The Black Babe Ruth", would that be generally accepted? Of course not. No different than this kid. That video made him look like he could have a heck of a future, and his race is completely irrelevant to the discussion, so it's dumb to include it, and even more stupid to give him a nickname based on it.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Absolutely Adequate » Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:43 pm

Madison wrote:If someone called Barry Bonds "The Black Babe Ruth", would that be generally accepted? Of course not. No different than this kid. That video made him look like he could have a heck of a future, and his race is completely irrelevant to the discussion, so it's dumb to include it, and even more stupid to give him a nickname based on it.

When Darryl Strawberry came up, he was called "The black Ted WIlliams." I think it's got more to do with young, talented, but unproven players.
Absolutely Adequate
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Madison » Thu Jul 19, 2007 6:01 pm

Absolutely Adequate wrote:
Madison wrote:If someone called Barry Bonds "The Black Babe Ruth", would that be generally accepted? Of course not. No different than this kid. That video made him look like he could have a heck of a future, and his race is completely irrelevant to the discussion, so it's dumb to include it, and even more stupid to give him a nickname based on it.

When Darryl Strawberry came up, he was called "The black Ted WIlliams." I think it's got more to do with young, talented, but unproven players.

I don't mind the comparison to Reggie Bush. Doesn't bother me at all, and I agree that comparing up and coming players to more established players has been done before, and will probably always be done. There's nothing at all that bothers me about that. :-) ;-D

What's silly is injecting race into something that has nothing to do with race, and that's what I pointed out. :-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Absolutely Adequate » Thu Jul 19, 2007 6:07 pm

I agree, it doesn't have to be about race. But these things generally happen pretty naturally - and people weren't offended when Strawberry was called "the black Ted Williams," which seems to go against what you were saying about Bonds being called "the black Babe Ruth."

That's all I was saying.
Absolutely Adequate
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Lofunzo » Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:11 pm

Absolutely Adequate wrote:I agree, it doesn't have to be about race. But these things generally happen pretty naturally - and people weren't offended when Strawberry was called "the black Ted Williams," which seems to go against what you were saying about Bonds being called "the black Babe Ruth."

That's all I was saying.

Not doubting you but I have lived in central NJ my entire life and I never heard that about him.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby Madison » Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:41 pm

Absolutely Adequate wrote:I agree, it doesn't have to be about race. But these things generally happen pretty naturally - and people weren't offended when Strawberry was called "the black Ted Williams," which seems to go against what you were saying about Bonds being called "the black Babe Ruth."

That's all I was saying.

Well we're talking about two different time periods as well ;-) . I personally am not offended by the "White Reggie" nickname, but there are two things wrong with it for me. First and most importantly, is that the kid's race is completely irrelevant to the discussion, so the nickname is just plain stupid in my eyes. Second is that everyone wants racism eliminated from the country. While I'm not sure that battle can ever be won, something like inserting race where it has zero business being, definitely doesn't help the cause, it actually hurts it.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby Absolutely Adequate » Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:54 am

Lofunzo wrote:

That's all I was saying.

Not doubting you but I have lived in central NJ my entire life and I never heard that about him.

It seems to have faded from memory, but a google search for "darryl strawberry" "Black Ted Williams" came up with 158 hits, including his Wikipedia entry.
Absolutely Adequate
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Previous

Return to General Talk