White Reggie - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

White Reggie

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: White Reggie

Postby davidmarver » Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:46 am

What I'm saying is that it doesn't matter that they refer to the kid as white. He plays like Reggie Bush on the field...nicknaming him Reggie Bush is lame, so they gave him a nickname along with something that deviates him from Bush. They could have called him "The Twelve-Year Old Reggie Bush" or "The Short Reggie Bush" and it would still convey the same message; that he's not Reggie Bush, but he plays close to it.
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Dan Lambskin » Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:08 am

Absolutely Adequate wrote:I misread the title as "White Reggae" before clicking on the link. It was impressive, but I was expecting http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xm4JMHL4tuE

i read it as Reggie White :-b i was like, he's been dead for years, what happened now :-?
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Lofunzo » Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:25 am

davidmarver wrote:What I'm saying is that it doesn't matter that they refer to the kid as white. He plays like Reggie Bush on the field...nicknaming him Reggie Bush is lame, so they gave him a nickname along with something that deviates him from Bush. They could have called him "The Twelve-Year Old Reggie Bush" or "The Short Reggie Bush" and it would still convey the same message; that he's not Reggie Bush, but he plays close to it.

:-°

Could Madison have just been referring to the fact that his moves were awesome, no matter what race he is?? You are way overthinking this. He could just have moves like Bush or wear the same number as Bush. I am in the same boat. Race doesn't matter. The kid is good. If someone wants to give him a retarded nickname, that doesn't mean that I have to use/accept it.

I don't want to speak for Madison, though.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby davidmarver » Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:42 am

Lofunzo wrote:If someone wants to give him a retarded nickname, that doesn't mean that I have to use/accept it.

Of course you don't have to use/accept it. And given that the kid is white, and looks like Reggie Bush on the field, I think he's been aptly named. Certainly his nickname is less 'retarded' -- much more borderline than using white/black in this instance, by the way -- than a vast majority of the usernames at this forum.
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby knapplc » Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:50 am

Let's be sure not to turn this into a huge debate over the kid's nickname, which none of us created or have control over. It's just a nickname. It's not worth discussing too much.
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby davidmarver » Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:53 am

Also, something lost in the whole Reggie comparison is just how solid the blocking on this team is, #20 in particular.
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:45 am

knapplc wrote:It's not worth discussing too much.

Everything's worth discussing too much. :-D !+)
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 4)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby The Artful Dodger » Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:49 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:
davidmarver wrote:I don't see how giving someone a race-based nickname is ridiculous. It isn't like anything negative comes out of the nickname on either side; it's just a form of identification that holier-than-thou people like to point at as an atrocity any time someone mentions a skin tone.

Don't you think the nickname denotes he's not as good as he possibly is. He's only getting credit for his talents because he happens to be white? It is irrelevant. If the kid's good, he's good. Does matter if he's black good or white good. Why does this still matter?

True, it doesn't matter if he's black or white especially when the overwhelming majority is one or the other, but would it stand if the kid was Asian? I think most people to be on the safe side (to be politically correct) would say it wouldn't matter under any circumstance (which goes for all types of diversity), but it doesn't mean that athlete doesn't stand out because of skin tone and/or race. It's just inevitable for that subject to be brought up anyway.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Postby sportsaddict » Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:22 pm

The nickname is just kind of a joke, he plays like Reggie Bush and he has the same number but he's white, not black. I don't think anything is supposed to be meant from it.
"Oh, that Lankford and McGee, the trio of 'em. They're a one-man wrecking crew."

-Mike Shannon
sportsaddict
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby TheA'sFatLeadoffMan » Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:33 pm

I think the nickname only exemplifies what most people think when they see the kid, "Wow, wouldn't espect that from a white kid", and it's fair to think that based on the trend of today's NFL. How long has it been since the NFL had a starting white runningback, let alone one that made his name playing more like Gale Sayers than Jim Brown. If you saw this kid do all that yet his skin color was concealed with clothing , I think there's no doubt that most would expect to be looking at a black kid when he took his helmet off, simply based on recent trends. The name I think was probably more for likeness to Reggie, more so than a detracter of what he is doing.
TheA'sFatLeadoffMan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk