Are there any clean sports left? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Are there any clean sports left?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Are there any clean sports left?

Postby sportsaddict » Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:44 pm

Baseball and football have their share of steroid problems, NASCAR's got cheating problems, and now GOLF might have a steroid problem!

http://sports.yahoo.com/golf/pga/news?s ... &type=lgns

Golfer Gary Player says he knows of 1 steroid user; Urges random drug testing
By DOUG FERGUSON, AP Golf Writer
July 18, 2007

CARNOUSTIE, Scotland (AP) -- Gary Player said Wednesday he knows of at least one golfer who has used steroids, and he urged golf organizations to move quickly toward a random drug-testing plan.

"We're dreaming if we think it's not going to come into golf," Player said.

ADVERTISEMENT
Player estimated 10 players from tours around the world were taking some type of performance-enhancing drug. Asked how he knew golfers were taking steroids, he said a player told him in confidence.

"One guy told me -- and I took an oath prior to him telling me -- but he told me what he did and I could see this massive change in him," Player said. "And somebody else told me something I also promised I wouldn't tell, that verified others had done it."

Last year, the Royal & Ancient Golf Club of St. Andrews and the USGA used random testing for the first time at the World Amateur Team Championship in South Africa. All 12 tests came back negative.

The LPGA Tour said it would start drug testing next year, while the European Tour and PGA Tour also are moving toward drug policies. R&A chief executive Peter Dawson supports testing, although he said the professional tours are better suited to develop drug policies.

Asked about Player's accusation, Dawson referred to Tiger Woods' comments earlier in the week.

Woods, who has come out in favor of drug testing, was asked Tuesday if he would be surprised if a golfer tested positive.

"If anything, probably out here it would be testing positive for maybe being hung over a little bit," Woods said. "But that's about it. I know some guys have taken Medrol packs for inflammation in their wrists, but other than that, I really don't see anybody doing anything, or have heard anybody doing anything."

Phil Mickelson also said he thought golfers were clean.

"I don't think there's even a remote chance that will happen," he said of a golfer testing positive for steroids.
"Oh, that Lankford and McGee, the trio of 'em. They're a one-man wrecking crew."

-Mike Shannon
sportsaddict
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Are there any clean sports left?

Postby Pokeyouindaeye » Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:04 pm

Curling and Darts. ;-D
Yes, I was, uh... I was thinking about ordering the tape, the videotape... about the college girls and the... the wild... the wildness. They're going wild or something? Somebody told me... about going wild.
-Larry David
Pokeyouindaeye
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 6)

Postby Tavish » Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:05 pm

Have there ever been any clean sports? There will always be people that are competitive to an extreme degree and will do what it takes to make them the best. You put money on the line and that just adds another reason (greed) for people to bend/break/ignore the rules.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 70)

Postby IrishSox14 » Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:42 pm

Tennis and Cross Country ;-D :-D
IrishSox14
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Art Vandelay » Wed Jul 18, 2007 3:10 pm

Tavish wrote:Have there ever been any clean sports? There will always be people that are competitive to an extreme degree and will do what it takes to make them the best. You put money on the line and that just adds another reason (greed) for people to bend/break/ignore the rules.

Exactly. I guess it depends somewhat on your definition of "clean," but I would guess there ceased to be any clean sports about 10 minutes after the first sport was created.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby bigh0rt » Wed Jul 18, 2007 3:51 pm

There isn't clean anything, never mind sports.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 831)

Postby Pacman » Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:18 pm

I read the question in the title of your topic, and the first answer I thought of was Little League Baseball... since I coach my 10-year-old's and my 8-year-old's teams, and feel like in my city's Little League, a large, dedicated group of adults works extremely hard to make sure every kid that wants to play - plays an enjoyable, safe, positive season of baseball, and hopefully learns a good amount about the game too.

Then I remembered, on a national level, that there WAS a cheating incident in the Little League World Series, when they let that Almonte kid play who was too old... so I guess Little League isn't clean either... but it is in my little corner of the sport B-) .

I hate the Little League World Series, btw... those kids are too young for all that international attention, hype, and pressure to win....

peace

P.S. Hey Madison.... is BOWLING clean? That might be an answer to the question. ;-D
Pacman
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Coppermine » Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:21 pm

Pacman wrote:P.S. Hey Madison.... is BOWLING clean? That might be an answer to the question. ;-D

Not if you consider mullets unclean...

If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Wed Jul 18, 2007 6:56 pm

My son and I play hallway hockey and he insists he's not on steroids.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby sportsaddict » Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:04 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:My son and I play hallway hockey and he insists he's not on steroids.

Hallway hockey players are notorious for performance enhancing drugs, so it'd be irresponsible of you NOT to start random drug testing.
"Oh, that Lankford and McGee, the trio of 'em. They're a one-man wrecking crew."

-Mike Shannon
sportsaddict
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to General Talk