If Maddon is let go after this year, - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Tampa Bay Rays

If Maddon is let go after this year,

Moderators: hayseed, Baseball Moderators

If Maddon is let go after this year,

Postby raiders_umpire » Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:24 am

who do you think will be his replacement. Nothing has been set in stone, but the rumor mill is whirling around my area about Maddon being told to hit the road. I imagine Girardi will be at the top of most teams list, but one Mr. Mike Maddux would make it to the top of my list. He has shown great ability to improve a staff and team, and I think he would be a great fit in Tampa with our young staff.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: If Maddon is let go after this year,

Postby jlm53089 » Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:54 am

it would screw these kids up. having to go from one manager to another. they need someone who is going to stay and that they can get used to.
jlm53089
General Manager
General Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 3)

Postby raiders_umpire » Wed Jul 18, 2007 4:15 pm

jlm53089 wrote:it would screw these kids up. having to go from one manager to another. they need someone who is going to stay and that they can get used to.

True, it would be lovely to get a Bobby Cox to stay for 20 years, but Maddon is just showing an inability in being able to manage a major league team. He was fine as a bench coach because he gets along good with the players, but as the manager he is failing miserably.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby deerayfan072 » Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:19 pm

raiders_umpire wrote:
jlm53089 wrote:it would screw these kids up. having to go from one manager to another. they need someone who is going to stay and that they can get used to.

True, it would be lovely to get a Bobby Cox to stay for 20 years, but Maddon is just showing an inability in being able to manage a major league team. He was fine as a bench coach because he gets along good with the players, but as the manager he is failing miserably.

Many people want Maddon gone, but from what i hear the people who dont are Stu, Andrew, Gerry, and Matt. Maddon listens to them and will do as he is told. Girardi will not, as has been seen by his time in Florida, plus I think he is going to the Yankees. I would love to see Maddux come in, I want anyone else. I think Maddon is a great bench coach, but not a manager.
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 31)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby scr » Fri Jul 20, 2007 9:21 am

I can't believe I am saying this, but I can't blame Joe for the team's performance on the field. The young guns have developed so far on the field, and Joe has managed to get the kids, for the most part, to adapt to life in the big leagues (i.e., how to respond to the vicious Tampa media).

I believe the learning curve of the DRO is yet to be complete, as the failure of the DRO to overhaul the bullpen has been the serious negative on the team.

The Kazmir trade was, in many respects, the worst thing that could happen to our team in that the DRO may have begun their tenure believing that all trades should be measured up to Kazmir for Zambrano. The DRO properly should recognize that trade as an abberation, as it was the Mets, after all, that traded Nolan Ryan for Jim Fergosi, and traded Tom Seaver for Pat Zachary, Gary Nolan, Steve Henderson & Doug Flynn.

The failure to either trade or defend Dukes, who was, at the beginning of the year, very marketable, was IMHO, as much a failure on the part of the DRO as was the success of the previous DRO's fleecing of the Mets' Kazmir. Yet there is still time to correct this error.

The Yankees are in desperate need of a healthy centerfielder. Damon is hitting below the Mendoza Line, and is clearly playing in pain. Why not throw out Elijah's name for pitching prospect Humberto Sanchez, currently hurt, but could be the stellar bullpen shutdown guy we've been looking for? Sanchez was with the Detroit organization last year, and dominated the minors before he got hurt.

A stellar bullpen would have had the Rays in the hunt this year, and we'd be talking about Manager of the Year for Joe instead of looking for a replacement. As Sparky Lyle once said-"From Cy Young to Cy-O'Nara". Miller Huggins couldn't manage this team to a winning record with the bullpen configuration as it stands now.
scr
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby deerayfan072 » Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:30 am

The deadline for the Rays to excercise the 2 year option on Joe is coming soon. They are being real quiet about it, should be interesting
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby deerayfan072 » Sat Sep 08, 2007 8:53 am

Option pickedup. Joe is our manager for 2 more years
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby raiders_umpire » Sat Sep 08, 2007 11:28 am

deerayfan072 wrote:Option pickedup. Joe is our manager for 2 more years

So basically at least one more year then. It will still be one more year before some of our pitching is MLB ready, but maybe we have enough pieces now to put together a league average staff. We still need to work on our defense as well as maybe work out a big trade that can net us another big bat.
raiders_umpire

Return to Tampa Bay Rays