draft order - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

draft order

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

draft order

Postby bell9440 » Sat Feb 07, 2004 4:55 pm

I know you should pick the best player avalible in the first couple of rounds,but then which positions should I go for.Also I was wondering
which positions are deeper then others?
bell9440 Beginner
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby trevisc » Sat Feb 07, 2004 5:00 pm

Outfield is the deepest position and Catcher is the most shallow followed by 2nd base.

A good rule of thumb is to fill your infield with the best talent you can find and then worry about your Outfield. That is unless you have a shot at guys like Vlad or Pujols or something.
trevisc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2004,2005 Keeper League Champion

Re: draft order

Postby sappisgod » Sat Feb 07, 2004 5:02 pm

bell9440 wrote:I know you should pick the best player avalible in the first couple of rounds,but then which positions should I go for.Also I was wondering
which positions are deeper then others?

Obviously OF and 1st base are the deepest. The rest have a few good ones and there's a dropoff and a bunch of average players. Like 2nd with Boone and Soriano. Short with A-Rod, Jeter, Tejada, and Nomar with maybe Renteria. I use a strategy that gets pitchers every other round unless someone big falls, and usually go OF-short-1st-OF-2nd-OF-3rd and usually draft a catcher last, unless someone like Posada is still on the board when he clearly should've gone before.
sappisgod
College Coach
College Coach

Postby mikcou » Sat Feb 07, 2004 5:06 pm

trevisc wrote:Outfield is the deepest position and Catcher is the most shallow followed by 2nd base.

A good rule of thumb is to fill your infield with the best talent you can find and then worry about your Outfield. That is unless you have a shot at guys like Vlad or Pujols or something.

Thats a good rule
mikcou
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby AuburnTigers » Sat Feb 07, 2004 5:08 pm

If you dont take a top 3 or 4 C, 2b, or 3b then I would wait a while in the draft to fill some of those spots. Dont worry too much about 1b and OF because there is a lot of talent.
AuburnTigers
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby LBJackal » Sat Feb 07, 2004 5:24 pm

I like to usually fill out my entire IF before going after OF/SP. Unless there is a good SP going later than he should, like Halladay in the 3rd or something, fill out your lineup with IF's. And somebody said taht Renteria might be in the top SP group - well he easily is. He's the 3rd best after A-Rod and Nomar. Tejada has the potential to be in that tier, but I don't see Jeter being near as valuuable as the top 4.

2B is shallow, and when Kent goes off the board, start looking at Marcus Giles, because he's going to be close in value to Kent and is almost always drafted after him. If you miss out on the top SS's, then Kaz Matsui or Bobby Crosby would be good guys to go after (Crosby should go very late). For 2B, I'd say guys like Giles, Jimenez, and Young are good guys who'll provide good value. 3B there's tons of guys, and you pretty much can't get a bad 3B if you get one early enough. There are about 8 really good ones.

As for 1B/OF/SP, get them when you see somebody slip too far. You can always get them in the later rounds, and off the waiver wire. Closers are also easy to get late. Grab 2 or 3 decent ones like Cordero, Nathan, Benitez, etc, and maybe 1 or 2 guys like Marte or Riske who should get a shot at closing and would probably be easy to get with your final few draft picks (maybe not Marte since Koch sucks).

There's my strategy, do with it what you please.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Sat Feb 07, 2004 5:38 pm

The strategies most of you are talking about are fine. I drafted for position scarcity for a while, and am well familiar with it. However - I am going to advise bucking the trend this yr.

First of all - be the trash collector. Always be on the lookout for good players falling too far.

Other than that, the only position I am concerned about is 2b, and I doubt I will jump for a top 3 even then. My strategy actually is exactly the opposite of what has been said. I am not going to consider a players position until after the first 4-5 rds. I am going after the best 4-5 cat guys I can get in those early rds, and if that means I walk away with 2 OFs, a 1B and a SP, then I am perfectly fine with that. The rest of the infield positions are deeper this yr than they have been, and I feel a lot of mid to late rd Cs, SSs, and 3bs will have the most value.

Again, I have been using the position scarcity method successfully, but this yr I am going to persue a different approach.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor

Postby sappisgod » Sat Feb 07, 2004 5:42 pm

LBJackal wrote:And somebody said taht Renteria might be in the top SP group - well he easily is. He's the 3rd best after A-Rod and Nomar. Tejada has the potential to be in that tier, but I don't see Jeter being near as valuuable as the top 4.

I'm just a bit concerned that he might not be as good as last year. The year before last he put up about 20 less RBI, 20 less runs, 10 less SBs, and his average was .025 lower. Still good, but not top tier. I'd much rather have Tejada who'll give me a sure 100 RBI, 100 run, 25 homer season.
sappisgod
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Rage » Sat Feb 07, 2004 5:45 pm

trevisc wrote:Outfield is the deepest position and Catcher is the most shallow followed by 2nd base.

Well put!!! ;-D
Rage
College Coach
College Coach

Postby mikcou » Sat Feb 07, 2004 5:51 pm

sappisgod wrote:
LBJackal wrote:And somebody said taht Renteria might be in the top SP group - well he easily is. He's the 3rd best after A-Rod and Nomar. Tejada has the potential to be in that tier, but I don't see Jeter being near as valuuable as the top 4.

I'm just a bit concerned that he might not be as good as last year. The year before last he put up about 20 less RBI, 20 less runs, 10 less SBs, and his average was .025 lower. Still good, but not top tier. I'd much rather have Tejada who'll give me a sure 100 RBI, 100 run, 25 homer season.

Renteria has consantly gotten better I wouldnt be too suprised if he came close to his numbers or did better than last year
mikcou
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers