Michael Vick indicted - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Michael Vick indicted

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Michael Vick indicted

Postby jfg » Sat Aug 15, 2009 2:52 pm

I guess I don't understand why Vick coming back is all that big of a deal. Next year Stallworth will come back and it won't be as big of a deal as this and that's not right. Stallworth killed a person, Vick had a hand in killing dogs. Still, a terrible offense but it's not killing a person. Especially when you consider that we nationally televise events that sometimes lead to animals being killed.

Anyway, I don't think Vick is a person who is going to cause any more trouble for the Eagles or the league. He made a very bad decision but it's not the worst decision an NFL player has ever made and they all received second chances.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 84)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby knapplc » Sat Aug 15, 2009 3:01 pm

jfg wrote:I guess I don't understand why Vick coming back is all that big of a deal. Next year Stallworth will come back and it won't be as big of a deal as this and that's not right. Stallworth killed a person, Vick had a hand in killing dogs. Still, a terrible offense but it's not killing a person. Especially when you consider that we nationally televise events that sometimes lead to animals being killed.

Anyway, I don't think Vick is a person who is going to cause any more trouble for the Eagles or the league. He made a very bad decision but it's not the worst decision an NFL player has ever made and they all received second chances.

I think it's best to see what kind of reaction Stallworth gets before comparing the two. You're projecting a reaction that may not happen. We can better debate the two situations when we see how Stallworth is greeted back.
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby bigh0rt » Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:40 pm

knapplc wrote:
jfg wrote:I guess I don't understand why Vick coming back is all that big of a deal. Next year Stallworth will come back and it won't be as big of a deal as this and that's not right. Stallworth killed a person, Vick had a hand in killing dogs. Still, a terrible offense but it's not killing a person. Especially when you consider that we nationally televise events that sometimes lead to animals being killed.

I think it's best to see what kind of reaction Stallworth gets before comparing the two. You're projecting a reaction that may not happen. We can better debate the two situations when we see how Stallworth is greeted back.

This is of course speculation, but I don't think people will have a big reaction to Stallworth, just like there wasn't all this hoopla and outcry over Ray Lewis and Jamal Lewis, etc. Vick has gotten it worse, IMO, than these guys who have admittedly or allegedly killed human beings.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 351)

Postby knapplc » Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:45 pm

There's a "percentage of blame" factor to consider with Stallworth as well. The guy he killed was jaywalking, so while Stallworth will (justifiably) bear the vast majority of the blame, the victim put himself in harm's way, too.
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Postby urbanbreez » Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:18 pm

knapplc wrote:There's a "percentage of blame" factor to consider with Stallworth as well. The guy he killed was jaywalking, so while Stallworth will (justifiably) bear the vast majority of the blame, the victim put himself in harm's way, too.

I think it's a matter of intent. Vick intended to willfully kill dogs. Stallworth, as irresponsible and negligent as he was, did not intend to kill anyone. For me, that's the difference.
urbanbreez
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Art Vandelay » Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:07 am

There's also a difference between a one-time lapse in judgement (or whatever you want to call it) and a sustained pattern of behavior. However, I think people who are removed from the situation are often more sympathetic of animal victims than human victims.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby jfg » Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:36 am

I don't know why people aren't as upset about athletes getting involved in altercations like Ray Lewis and Jamal Lewis or how about athletes involved in rape cases. It just seems really strange to me that people are willing to accept things that affect human lives but it's the worst offense to kill dogs. Again, not that killing dogs is anywhere near ok, but raping a woman is 100X worse to me and killing somebody or being involved with it doesn't even come close.

I don't think most athletes have one time lapse of judgment. Just like Vick it's a pattern of behavior that they've gotten away with most of their life. But, unlike Vick they didn't get jail time and that's why I think Vick deserves his second chance, he did his time and didn't get a slap on the wrist like most.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 84)

Postby urbanbreez » Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:47 am

Art Vandelay wrote:There's also a difference between a one-time lapse in judgement (or whatever you want to call it) and a sustained pattern of behavior. However, I think people who are removed from the situation are often more sympathetic of animal victims than human victims.

Not sure about that. If Mike Vick was doing to people what he was doing to dogs, he'd be on Death Row instead of running the wildcat for the Eagles.
urbanbreez
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Metroid » Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:11 am

jfg wrote:I don't know why people aren't as upset about athletes getting involved in altercations like Ray Lewis and Jamal Lewis or how about athletes involved in rape cases. It just seems really strange to me that people are willing to accept things that affect human lives but it's the worst offense to kill dogs. Again, not that killing dogs is anywhere near ok, but raping a woman is 100X worse to me and killing somebody or being involved with it doesn't even come close.

I don't think most athletes have one time lapse of judgment. Just like Vick it's a pattern of behavior that they've gotten away with most of their life. But, unlike Vick they didn't get jail time and that's why I think Vick deserves his second chance, he did his time and didn't get a slap on the wrist like most.

I don't condone what those douchebags did either but this is a thread about a different douchebag. You wanna talk about how Ray Lewis and Jamal Lewis and Dante Stallworth suck we can do that, but this thread is about Vick so......
Metroid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFootball Mod

Postby AquaMan2342 » Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:51 am

Metroid wrote:
jfg wrote:I don't know why people aren't as upset about athletes getting involved in altercations like Ray Lewis and Jamal Lewis or how about athletes involved in rape cases. It just seems really strange to me that people are willing to accept things that affect human lives but it's the worst offense to kill dogs. Again, not that killing dogs is anywhere near ok, but raping a woman is 100X worse to me and killing somebody or being involved with it doesn't even come close.

I don't condone what those douchebags did either but this is a thread about a different douchebag. You wanna talk about how Ray Lewis and Jamal Lewis and Dante Stallworth suck we can do that, but this thread is about Vick so......

Understood, but it's worth mentioning how much more attention Vick is getting for committing a crime that most see as lesser than some of these players who have had hands in killing actual people. Nobody's mentioned Leonard Little and I am surprised; was he even suspended after his incident?
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk